WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: The standoff: Pop culture references on Shirt.Woot?
  • 25.5% - Wayyyyy too much of it! 252
  • 17.9% - Not nearly enough! 177
  • 50.1% - Just the right amount. 496
  • 6.6% - Let me express my opinion in a concise 10,000 word essay in the comments. 65
990 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond

I can stand 'em when they are clever, punny and/or beau-tee-ful.

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

it wouldn't be shirtwoot without them

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

With the flooded market of these shirts, it's important for shirt.woot to not only differentiate itself by not always doing them (which they do a good job, I think), but also to really push the good ones. Which I think Woot! has done well at of late. The Grecian pottery Link shirt today is great, but so was the otherwise simple OSHA DuckTales shirt.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
WootBot wrote:Let me express my opinion in a concise 10,000 word essay in the comments.

He's written shorter ones before. ^_^

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

I enjoy some of the more retro style pop culture stuff. I love wearing a shirt that gets a double take and a smile or comment. It is nice seeing authentic and original stuff up as well. I don not enjoy the over the top arrow to the knee kind of overkill ones.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Don't care. If it were not for the stupid poles I would not even visti shirt woot.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

I'm one of them complainey types, so I've only bought a handful of shirts here. If it's pop-culture, it needs to be sufficiently creative and easy to understand without screaming HEY I SAW THAT MOVIE TOO LOL LET'S QUOTE THINGS. As an example, I bought Luke.

What we really need to talk about is your unhealthy obsession with cutesy/artsy animal prints... But seriously in all my whining, I'm all for whatever sells and keeps you guys running. If that's shirts that I won't buy, I'm okay with that!

unknownwarrior33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unknownwarrior33

What I like about shirt.woot's pop culture shirts is that they are creative, and not just a picture of the thing on a shirt (though I like those too). My DaVinci-style Mario Kart shirt from Woot gets comments all the time. As long as the pop culture shirts are creative, I say bring 'em on.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
lotsofgoats wrote:I'm one of them complainey types ...

... What we really need to talk about is your unhealthy obsession with cutesy/artsy animal prints...

You do vote in the derby, right? ... because it's where Woot's audience gets to have their say in what shirts they like, which in turn trends what other shirts gets offered here.

So with that said, the shirt I'm wearing today is:
( ) by a popular artist.
( ) geek.
( ) cute.
( ) a cat.
(x) all of the above.

^_^

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester

I like the occasion reference, but I have to agree with what another person said before, I don't want it to be too obvious at times.

That said, I feel like shirt.woot use to have more inventive shirts print both during the derby and on the daily. Not that what I see is terrible or lackluster, just a little bland and cute. It's like the site has gotten into a rut.

Again, not a knock against the designs themselves per se, but just I wish I was seeing more stuff like we had a couple of years ago. Don't Look Back, The Clock Maker, Last Flight Home...seem to be the exception rather than the rule later.

I dunno.

gameon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gameon

I'm of the mindset of people who like it when it's a bit obscure, but still understandable. I loved the 90's derby, probably because I feel that decade was my majority of 'growing up and early adulthood' years.

A lot of the gaming spoofs I don't get, but that's because I'm not a big gamer.

So to sum it up -- I like it sometimes.

My site: Thought Provoking Shirts - designs to make you think and laugh at the same time.