oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:This would work way better as three things lines up next to each other. Too much!

I originally had it in rows but it felt too blocky... I'll keep playing with it.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

Here is an entry of mine...

He is more of a Wacko Crazy Alien Scientist sidekick... cause he's robot...(Invader Zim, GIR)

scrabblefish

quality posts: 13 Private Messages scrabblefish
shikausstan wrote:Here is an entry of mine...

He is more of a Wacko Crazy Alien Scientist sidekick... cause he's robot...(Invader Zim, GIR)

Hmm... not sure about this one for the ladies. My first thought was--why would I want to wear an xray of breast implants? Then I saw the comment about the robot.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
shikausstan wrote:Here is an entry of mine...

Also, where's the science?

sneezycop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sneezycop
punksthetic wrote:

Check your spelling.

sneezycop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sneezycop
sneezycop wrote:Check your spelling.

I cleaned my glasses. Never mind.

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I really like this. Good luck.

wirdou wrote:I understand what you mean Orabbit...I don't know if engineer science is enough represented with that :S...maybe I should add more elements Anyway...another sketch I really like XD

Jessissima I really like your sketch :D

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Have to love a Prestige shirt. Never see that.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I'd advice against using proper nouns. Names of movies, names of fictional places, names of characters... these things tend to get rejected.

helo12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helo12

Hey everyone,
So I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I designed a shirt that is shockingly similar to one that was just submitted. I really don't want to scrap it excuse I worked on it for quite some time and since I work, I sadly can't post mine until later tonight. At the same time I don't want to step on anyone's toes. What should I do?

Bozanimal

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Bozanimal
j5 wrote:IB4 120 Dr. Horrible designs.

I'll be happy if we get one good Dr. Horrible reference.

So long as it's not on a black shirt; sick of black.

Boz

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Bozanimal wrote:I'll be happy if we get one good Dr. Horrible reference.

I misjudged. It looks like BTTF is the theme of the month.

Also, apparently this derby theme is < blahblahblah> sciencish types of things.

helo12 wrote:Hey everyone,
So I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I designed a shirt that is shockingly similar to one that was just submitted. I really don't want to scrap it excuse I worked on it for quite some time and since I work, I sadly can't post mine until later tonight. At the same time I don't want to step on anyone's toes. What should I do?

Ping the other artist saying "hey, GMTA" then post it with your above explation.

move along

thehookshot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thehookshot

Random question - Are you allowed to have the design up for sale on Redbubble or another site WHILE it's in the voting process for the derby?

punksthetic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages punksthetic

To all the people who were wondering, I use Photoshop... and I usually don't make typos or spelling errors, but thanks for the concern. ;)

These were previously completed designs I thought fit the theme, and I've never entered the Derby before, so cut me a break. K?

rasabi

quality posts: 25 Private Messages rasabi
thehookshot wrote:Random question - Are you allowed to have the design up for sale on Redbubble or another site WHILE it's in the voting process for the derby?

Nope. You are, however, able to delete it from the running within 24 hours if you don't like your chances of victory. Which gets you off the hook for the 60 day hold...

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
kcjenk42 wrote:SO many different types of sciences one could be mad about and use to take over the world!

Physics: the study of matter, energy, space and time.
Botany: the study of plants.
Chemistry: the study of reactions, creations, and binding of matter.
Mineralogy: The study of minerals such as their identification, and properties.
Biology: the study of living things.
Astronomy: the study of space.
Geology: the study of Earth and its components, e.g. soils, rocks, etc.
Microbiology: the study of microorganisms, e.g. bacteria and their effects on other living organisms.
Palaeontology: the study of prehistoric life through evidence provided by fossils.
Medicine: Diagnosis and treatment of disease and damage to the body.
Pathology: the study of diseases and their causes, processes, development, and consequences.
Linguistics: The study of language, its structure and phonetics.
Entomology: the study of insects.
Seismology: the study of earthquakes, their causes and measurement.
Forestry: The science of cultivating, maintaining, and developing forests.
Ichthyology: The study of fish.
(from: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/List_of_10_types_of_sciences)

And then there's always Library Science...

you forgot Popculturology the study of being unoriginal. this seams to be the most popular science used in this derby B^(

where is Draxx and Boots Boots??? we need you guys back!!!!

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

So how many Shröedinger's cat references can we forcibly cram into one derby?

More importantly, how many of them result in a humorous and wearable shirt?

j5

lotsofgoats wrote:So how many Shröedinger's cat references can we forcibly cram into one derby?

More importantly, how many of them result in a humorous and wearable shirt?

Also, can you get a Shröedinger's cat into a Delorian? Maybe as a Shröedinger's flux catpacitor?

move along

lotsofgoats

The thing that disappoints me the most is there are some shirts that are so poorly designed (some serious lack of contrast) and they're getting upvotes like crazy because they jam some science into a pop culture reference.

First and last derby participation for me? It's possible. I'm that whiny.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
j5 wrote:Also, can you get a Shröedinger's cat into a Delorian? Maybe as a Shröedinger's flux catpacitor?

Because you requested it:

therichfather

quality posts: 1 Private Messages therichfather

Someone please explain to me how the one that says "Mad Science" is getting around the rejectionator? The rules for the week say "no text only designs" and that's all I'm seeing on the shirt. Is it just me?

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
therichfather wrote:Someone please explain to me how the one that says "Mad Science" is getting around the rejectionator? The rules for the week say "no text only designs" and that's all I'm seeing on the shirt. Is it just me?

The text itself is stylized and contains graphic elements (the lightning), so it is not text only

j5

cdrewlow wrote:Because you requested it:

Feline-ux CATpacitor!
3.0 Giga-cats!

move along

orabbit

cdrewlow wrote:Because you requested it:

Give the man a cigar!

orabbit

tjschaeffer wrote:The text itself is stylized and contains graphic elements (the lightning), so it is not text only

Thanks, TJ. It's borderline, I admit, but the rule refers to slogan shirts with no other design work than font choice.

L3g3ndQ

tjschaeffer wrote:The text itself is stylized and contains graphic elements (the lightning), so it is not text only

no its FANCY text!!! B^\

still just text but then again its no worse than the other designs in this derby, at least its a lil more original than all the pop designs B^(

kinda sad that this site is starting to be like the bird shirt site... way to much mash up pop culture B^(

orabbit

L3g3ndQ wrote:no its FANCY text!!!(

Well, then it's not text only, it's text plus fancy!

L3g3ndQ

orabbit wrote:Well, then it's not text only, it's text plus fancy!

might as well call your self Ramby 2.0 for skirting the rules B^P

no offense to you but really it is just a text tee and it really should be pulled... and for that matter i think the big bang tee should bee pulled as well, just having an atom in the background, really?? nearly all the entries this week are Generation 3 Ponies and unimaginative. not everything has to do with doctor horrible or big bang theory or anything pop culture! its actually better to not do pop culture! Be original!!!

j5

L3g3ndQ wrote:might as well call your self Ramby 2.0 for skirting the rules B^P

Hey, you know who else says "ramby" instead of Ramyb?
Tomspc

move along

blackbirdps3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbirdps3

I don't understand why it is acceptable to just put up any drawing and just add "SCIENCE!" on it.
Like that Eye of Sauron design that just mentions Tesla. It even had a translation from Elvish, as if that made it make sense. Yet somehow it got 100+ votes?
People don't seem to care if it matches the theme at all.

lotsofgoats

Yea, I'm trying to make sense of the dynamic over here too. Seems everybody generally has different taste than I do, which I'm taking into account (e.g. the winner is too cutesy for me, but props to pspens for a winning design that fits the theme and is very well done).

There does seem to be a noticeable hivemind. It's way worse than the one over at deals.woot because we're talking about shirts actually going to market here. I guess I'll never be able to tell how many of these votes are popularity contest, but I suspect quite a few are artist-votes rather than art-votes.