beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984
orabbit wrote:Specialty inks are only for dailies. You should be fine with a Lucky Cat.

Sweet thanks!

walmazan

quality posts: 58 Private Messages walmazan

What about classic poetry? is it considerate Literary Classics?

rasabi

quality posts: 22 Private Messages rasabi

The Art of War:

Still a ways to go. Shadows? No Shadows? I liked the purple semi-circle until I realized it is physically questionable sooo might go with the bottom for that. Other thoughts welcome :P

fablefire

quality posts: 18 Private Messages fablefire
rasabi wrote:The Art of War:

Still a ways to go. Shadows? No Shadows? I liked the purple semi-circle until I realized it is physically questionable sooo might go with the bottom for that. Other thoughts welcome :P

Shadows, no. Arc, yes (though maybe not as long). Puddles maybe? I like it better when they're framed.

thehookshot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehookshot
fablefire wrote:Shadows, no. Arc, yes (though maybe not as long). Puddles maybe? I like it better when they're framed.

Agree - no shadows for me

orabbit

quality posts: 28 Private Messages orabbit
fablefire wrote:Shadows, no. Arc, yes (though maybe not as long). Puddles maybe? I like it better when they're framed.

Oh yeah, puddles of paint to show the ground plane. Dope! And keep the arc. Much more dynamic.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 59 Private Messages oakenspirit

:P

Pretty cool so far man...
I love your book choice and think the use of sumi-e like fighting splats is pretty rad. I say arc as well, and shadows.

oakenspirit

Here's what I'm working with so far...

The Jabberwocky slain by "unnamed hero" - I will call him Hiro Protagonist...

Put Hiro in the classic David pose as it seemed fitting...

What's it need?

orabbit

oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm working with so far...

What's it need?

Depth. Some jabberwockish foresty business in the background. Simple though. Just tree silhouettes or something.

bluejester

quality posts: 550 Private Messages bluejester
curli76 wrote:But keep in mind, if you try to use that book about a certain whale, Woot will change the title to "Moby Cranky Doodle Donkey."

I admit, I am still laughing over that one. Also not sure if it is utterly ridiculous or has potential as a future book title...

ApeLad

quality posts: 34 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I'll be submitting. Ahab should've quit while he was ahead.

derby entry by Ape Lad, on Flickr

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
orabbit wrote:Oh yeah, puddles of paint to show the ground plane.

Rasabi, watch the location of the puddles... not many women will enjoy having one blue breast and one purple. (I really like the colors in general, just not as circles in an awkward location!)

ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be submitting. Ahab should've quit while he was ahead.

I love this! I think my favorite part is the whale's eye: it has that glassy "dead" look to it.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

lonelypond

quality posts: 375 Private Messages lonelypond
brockart wrote:Here's my design for Jack London's, Call of the wild. Lemme know what you think.

go even more retro with the phone -- try one of the two part versions

http://www.sparkmuseum.com/TELEPHONE.HTM

lonelypond

less purple better I think but perhaps not that much less...

lonelypond

cdrewlow wrote:Or plays? Do Shakespeare and Anton Chekhov count?

Wondering this too.

kevlar51

quality posts: 42 Private Messages kevlar51

Here's what I've put together--"History is Written by the Victors (Three Little Pigs)"

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

So do I go with the Experienced Version, the Innocent Version or both?

William Blake wrote about the Lamb, in terms of innocence, but he also wrote of The Tyger and painted dragons, symbolic of experience. I couldn't decide which animal to use for "Experience", so I tried to come up with something that could be either (using my early edition D&D cover of a dragon and a couple of tiger pics as inspiration), or a bit of both.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau Someone? Anyone? :D

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I've put together--"History is Written by the Victors (Three Little Pigs)"

I laughed at both the concept and the design itself; I love it! Will the magenta pig nose end up on top of a nipple? It's the most prominent "pop" of color in the design. Although as I look at it again, I suspect it is in a nipple-philic location, but I also think it wouldn't be obvious when it was on a body unless it was a really cold room or something.

Lyonscc, I got kinda dizzy looking back and forth between the two options. And then I thought about looking down all day and being able to read my shirt and I got dizzier and I pictured myself falling off a curb while reading my shirt. So that's not very helpful to you.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
neuropsychosocial wrote:]Lyonscc, I got kinda dizzy looking back and forth between the two options. And then I thought about looking down all day and being able to read my shirt and I got dizzier and I pictured myself falling off a curb while reading my shirt. So that's not very helpful to you.

Ha! Thanks :-)

gregorschmid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregorschmid

[/quote]

love it, great idea with perfect execution imho, but not sure about the best t-shirt colour.

brown? asphalt?

black? preferred ;)

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be submitting. Ahab should've quit while he was ahead.

If that was George Costanza then I'm sold!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm working with so far...

What's it need?

It needs some testosterone.
Srsly.

move along

oakenspirit

j5 wrote:It needs some testosterone.
Srsly.

adding mustache and pipe.

Seriously though... Im changing the smirk.. and I think that helps the "problem",,, do you think thats enough... I mean, the pose is pretty much what it is...

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula

This is what we have for this derby, do you like the colors?? We think that Alice in Wonderland need bold colors...

Add any original text on the book?

[url[/url]

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

@rasabi, definitely the bottom version -- no puddles. I do like the huge arc on the top one, though. The only issue I have with the characters is that the anatomy of purple gets a little jumbled -- it's hard to make out his arms.

I think it's a killer design as is; it pulls off that simple tapestry look. I also think you should go with "The War of Art".

harantula

COOL!!!

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
harantula wrote:This is what we have for this derby, do you like the colors?? We think that Alice in Wonderland need bold colors...

You're right about the colors, they definitely pop. I don't think you should add any specific text, partially because you have the cartoony look down really well and partially because it's tough to get an all-encompassing quote for the story.

Perhaps some scribble-text on the pages? I think that would fit.

harantula

lotsofgoats wrote:You're right about the colors, they definitely pop. I don't think you should add any specific text, partially because you have the cartoony look down really well and partially because it's tough to get an all-encompassing quote for the story.

Perhaps some scribble-text on the pages? I think that would fit.

YEah we talked about the pages :D

harantula

That's awesome Kevlar! Definitely brown

j5

oakenspirit wrote:adding mustache and pipe.

Seriously though... Im changing the smirk.. and I think that helps the "problem",,, do you think thats enough... I mean, the pose is pretty much what it is...

The smirk and the Malcom McDowell eyes

move along

jabascus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jabascus
j5 wrote:Quran or Bhagavad Gita!

On it!

Be very careful on that one. What we think is humorous and such can be very offensive.

j5

jabascus wrote:Be very careful on that one. What we think is humorous and such can be very offensive.

I was joking because the original rule was "no Bible". I wanted to shed light on the omission without saying "hey might want to prohibit other religious texts"
It is my way.

move along

thehookshot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehookshot

Very nice! Of course after spending a few hours on the below design - I should have known there would be some similar entries

orabbit

harantula wrote:This is what we have for this derby, do you like the colors?? We think that Alice in Wonderland need bold colors...

[url[/url]

It might be cool to make the shadow on the book look like a hole. No text needed then.

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:It might be cool to make the shadow on the book look like a hole. No text needed then.

harantula

orabbit wrote:It might be cool to make the shadow on the book look like a hole. No text needed then.

thanks for your advice!we are working on it!

orabbit

harantula wrote:thanks for your advice!we are working on it!

Oh, and one other thing - the two flamingos behind the queen look like her arms. I just realized they weren't. Maybe space them differently.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

I really like Kevlar (great colors!) and Apelad's is just hilarious. Here's what I've got... Any suggestions? I'm not sure about the word "augmentation"...Is that used?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cdrewlow
wirdou wrote:I really like Kevlar (great colors!) and Apelad's is just hilarious. Here's what I've got... Any suggestions? I'm not sure about the word "augmentation"...Is that used?

Augmentation is good, but I would use "arm" instead of "arms."