zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

werdwerdus

quality posts: 13 Private Messages werdwerdus

obligatory "it's upside-down" post

or, RED STAPLER!

DarthNinja

quality posts: 10 Private Messages DarthNinja

it all seems like a good idea until you realize how much energy it took to make that much soda.... and prevent people from drinking it.

Bog of carp anyone?

wellarmedsheep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wellarmedsheep

This shirt requires way to much thought to be clever. At first inspection the thrust would drive it into the ground. You have to assume that the arm then flips it the right direction...

theyatemypig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theyatemypig

I'm not clever enough to make a good Borrowers reference...

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

If MythBusters ran NASA...

kwyjibo73

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kwyjibo73

My wife has a graduate degree in aerospace engineering, so it looks like I'm done looking for a Valentine's Day gift!

lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond

I spot duct tape, because it's not science without that. Gritty feel to the art works and I find myself liking designs that can work in space shuttles.

kwyjibo73

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kwyjibo73

Ha! Just took a closer look...If those Mentos are already droppin' those astronauts better get a move on!

Koreeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Koreeth

Looks like they could not afford the higher energy diet soda.

It appears the robot arm will swivel the craft into the proper position after activation.

sinsemilla

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sinsemilla

Not diet soda, the astronauts are not on board yet, the arm still has to flip the rocket over, the crane like that could never have two mentos mid submersion already and have a third ready to drop in (let alone without it already reacting), and those are not even mentos.

Overall horrible design.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Congrats on the print Harzack!

Awesome details.

FlyingMouse365

quality posts: 5 Private Messages FlyingMouse365

Congrat Harzack, well deserve!

minifig81

quality posts: 3 Private Messages minifig81

Er.. shouldn't the Mentos be going in from the bottom up, because it'll thrust the rocket up, instead of down into the ground?

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk

To boldly go where no mentos has gone before!

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter

I'ma do the things that I wanna do I ain't got a thing to prove to you

ancyker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker

I think this is the first derby I got all 3 shirts. Bravo, woot and artists.

buraindo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buraindo

True science!

malisonxpert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malisonxpert

I don't want to harp on someone's design, but this is one of the less intuitive shirts I've seen on Woot. Nobody passing this on the street is going to have a clue what it's is about.

chadwsmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadwsmith

I think it would have been visually easier to power a rocket car with mints and soda than an upside-down, hope-they-will-rotate-it, why-aren't-the-astronauts-in-there-already, NASA-doesn't-use-shuttles-anymore, Space craft.

#justsayin #hashtagsbelongonlyontwitter #lameirony

Read my blog or, you know, don't. It's up to you.

VooDooPC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VooDooPC

I honestly couldn't care less what it is or if other people will get it, the art is fantastic.

I ordered one.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

this is why the human race is doomed, couldn't even figure out a way to force thy mints, up thought the other side.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

I knew there was a reason for Pepsi

beltbucklebob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beltbucklebob
sinsemilla wrote:Not diet soda, the astronauts are not on board yet, the arm still has to flip the rocket over, the crane like that could never have two mentos mid submersion already and have a third ready to drop in (let alone without it already reacting), and those are not even mentos.

Overall horrible design.

COMPLETELY agree. I didn't vote, so I can't bellyache too much, but this week's derby must have been WEAK if this got third.

stancial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stancial

Not to mention this idea has been done before...and done better.

http://store.glennz.com/goforlaunch.html

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr

I think this is a great shirt! Totally got it right away and I love the artwork. congrats on the print!

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

andymnelson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages andymnelson

If I could figure out why the shuttle is upside down, and why Pepsi (cherry?) is used in place of diet Coke then it might make more sense.

Fantastic artwork, awful design...

ENarciso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ENarciso

Just curious because I'm new here, but this is marked as 3rd place and also says "Guest editor (insert name here)'s pick". That makes it sound like the shirt was chosen and didn't necessarily win, is that the case?

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr
ENarciso wrote:Just curious because I'm new here, but this is marked as 3rd place and also says "Guest editor (insert name here)'s pick". That makes it sound like the shirt was chosen and didn't necessarily win, is that the case?

Yes, the way the derby works has changed in the last few months. Here is the blog post with the details, and you can also see the discussion linked to that post for more details. I don't pay enough attention to give you the nitty-gritty around how often the 2nd and 3rd place winners come from the fog (I believe they often do, but might not have always been the exact 2nd and 3rd place by votes).

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

lmensor

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lmensor

I don't know enough about art and copyright infringement, but I'm sure the artists have limitations. Which is probably why the artwork on the soda makes it look like a Coke yet the words look like they spell Pepsi, so that you just know it's soda.

Congrats to harzack!

skatingbrit3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skatingbrit3
lonelypond wrote:I spot duct tape, because it's not science without that.

Haha agreed, it is Kapton tape in my lab though.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

This is so cool! Just keep the seagulls away!!!

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

This kind of makes me sad. How can we only spend .5% of the budget on NASA. You look at this and other worthy programs such as our national parks and education, and then you compare it to the 24% that goes to defense alone, and it just kills you.

What really gets me going is knowing that the hubble is going to come down just like skylab because we no longer have the resources or budget to boost its orbit.

Prey

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Prey

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
The cry used to be... "We can put a man on the moon, but we can't take care of the poor", Now, we can't do either.

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

Congrats for the feature and for that creative work!

VooDooPC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VooDooPC
auctionsaver wrote:This kind of makes me sad. How can we only spend .5% of the budget on NASA. You look at this and other worthy programs such as our national parks and education, and then you compare it to the 24% that goes to defense alone, and it just kills you.

What really gets me going is knowing that the hubble is going to come down just like skylab because we no longer have the resources or budget to boost its orbit.

Wasn't Skylab going to be reused but was destroyed upon reentry when they were going to refurbish it? Isn't there a telescope better than Hubble being developed right now to replace it?

chrisshelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisshelley

I'd by a shirt that had three boxes.

The first box has a picture of a diet coke bottle.
The second box has a picture of a pack of mentos.
The third box has the space shuttle in full thrust mode.

drfine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drfine
VooDooPC wrote:Wasn't Skylab going to be reused but was destroyed upon reentry when they were going to refurbish it? Isn't there a telescope better than Hubble being developed right now to replace it?

I don't know about the Skylab do-hickey but there is a new and improved telescope to replace the Hubble. It's the James Webb Space Telescope. However, it won't be launched until around 2018. (as per Wikipedia).

OldGlory747

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OldGlory747
wellarmedsheep wrote:This shirt requires way to much thought to be clever. At first inspection the thrust would drive it into the ground. You have to assume that the arm then flips it the right direction...

I'm going to venture that it's just meant to be appreciated by clever people.

Flipit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flipit

Staff

OldGlory747 wrote:... it's just meant to be appreciated by clever people.

Yeah, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist...