Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Lowerone

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Lowerone

lonelypond

quality posts: 450 Private Messages lonelypond

Simple, clever and the light blue adds flair.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz

Founder William of Ockham was known for his parsimony.

sjc3d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sjc3d

At first I thought there had to be some conspiracy theory to explain why shirts don't seem to get interesting Woot writeups any more, but then I realized there's got to be a simpler explanation.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Ah, Occam. He rules my life along with his twin brother, Murphy.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

Now THIS is the type of razor that woot needs to sell more of!

(sorry TT, I had to)

that was fun while it lasted!

nvaine

quality posts: 63 Private Messages nvaine

The simplest razor is often the sharpest one.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ATTENTION

We have a random selection of randoms available in a Plus event on Shirt. (it moved)

And Kids randoms on Kids.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bpr2 wrote:Now THIS is the type of razor that woot needs to sell more of!

(sorry TT, I had to)

brat

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

MOST ACCURATE ARTIST BIO TO DATE

DealMeIn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DealMeIn

It's a single blade razor - the simplest is always best.

scrabblefish

quality posts: 13 Private Messages scrabblefish

I asked for the unabridged explanation and all I got was this simple T-shirt.

joelellis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelellis

Is this the same Occam's razor that nobody had ever heard of before that episode of Scrubs but now every wannabe nerd references as if it was the first words they ever spoke as a child?

nathanwpyle

joelellis wrote:Is this the same Occam's razor that nobody had ever heard of before that episode of Scrubs but now every wannabe nerd references as if it was the first words they ever spoke as a child?

Here's a better and earlier reference in pop culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAp3jT8n6Qs

gcosta

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gcosta
sjc3d wrote:At first I thought there had to be some conspiracy theory to explain why shirts don't seem to get interesting Woot writeups any more, but then I realized there's got to be a simpler explanation.

I've been mulling over this one and am afraid the reason may be grim: Woot is now just a branch in a business pushing merchandise, not a hint of the witty start-up that once stole our hearts and nights.

*sobs*

(some pun intended)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
joelellis wrote:Is this the same Occam's razor that nobody had ever heard of before that episode of Scrubs but now every wannabe nerd references as if it was the first words they ever spoke as a child?

What's Scrubs?

ThunderThighs wrote:We have a random selection of randoms available in a Plus event on Sellout.

Looks like it's also posted here at shirt.woot. After all, the simplest explanation for a random sale of shirts is on shirt.

[MOD: The shirts were rebelling and refused to allow sales. We moved it to shirt.]

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

potestasx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages potestasx

You assume that everyone who knows of Occam's razor watches Scrubs. According to Occam's razor, Scrubs is not the place where everyone heard about Occam's razor.

soulsultan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soulsultan

soulsultan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soulsultan
nathanwpyle wrote:Here's a better and earlier reference in pop culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAp3jT8n6Qs

Hi Nathan. Thanks for bustin out another for us today. Not that you have a stack of your "Dark Knight" shirts at your disposal, but what's it going to take for me to get my hands on one. I've been on the hunt for a while.

Lance19

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Lance19

Hmmm...if it seemed to you "that nobody had ever heard of" Occam's Razor, before a TV show 5 years ago, you might consider trying to hang out with a little sharper crowd.

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2
nathanwpyle wrote:Here's a better and earlier reference in pop culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAp3jT8n6Qs

I could watch that clip all night!

that was fun while it lasted!

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Very cool, but I always pictured Occam's razor to be more of this style:

And yes I really do picture it.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

minifig81

quality posts: 3 Private Messages minifig81

Good on the shirt designer for getting the proper year when Occam's Razor was first proposed. :]

phoquenut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoquenut

Now all I need is the simplest solution to: how to enjoy this shirt without my non-nerdy friends thinking I'm being smug or condescending, when I have to explain Occam's Razor to them. I learned my lesson with Schrodinger's cat.

thecircuitbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecircuitbox
minifig81 wrote:Good on the shirt designer for getting the proper year when Occam's Razor was first proposed. :]

You mean when the term "Occam's Razor" was first used.

thecircuitbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecircuitbox
phoquenut wrote:Now all I need is the simplest solution to: how to enjoy this shirt without my non-nerdy friends thinking I'm being smug or condescending, when I have to explain Occam's Razor to them. I learned my lesson with Schrodinger's cat.

Say it is from the show "Scrubs".

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

a straight razor would have been better.

DealMeIn wrote:It's a single blade razor - the simplest is always best.

StephenLWiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StephenLWiseman

A straight razor would be more apropos for this comedic reference using a date of 1852.

StephenLWiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StephenLWiseman
minifig81 wrote:Good on the shirt designer for getting the proper year when Occam's Razor was first proposed. :]

Occam's (or Ockham's) razor is a principle attributed to the 14th century logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham. Ockham was the village in the English county of Surrey where he was born.

MarcusHeinous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarcusHeinous

A slightly earlier Geek/Nerd culture reference point from 1977 - so few years before Scrubs, Contact the movie or Contact the novel.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=146121

Occam's Razor was a spell for magic users in Volume I of the Arduin Grimoire.

janez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janez

Ah, time was when it was taught in high school science classes, and you didn't have to explain it to anyone your own age.

That's when people believed in science and evolution, before the Cold War.

Ah.........

silimike

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silimike

Can someone explain the 1966 reference? The only thing I could find is a book called "Adaptation and Natural Selection: A Critique of Some Current Evolutionary Thought " which was published in 1966.

silimike

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silimike
potestasx wrote:You assume that everyone who knows of Occam's razor watches Scrubs. According to Occam's razor, Scrubs is not the place where everyone heard about Occam's razor.

I think I first heard about it my first reading of 'Enders Game', where they were talking about the effect of the mind game on Ender, which we later found out was being manipulated by the Formics.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Best. Writeup. Ever.

jcliechty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcliechty

Dudes! What's with 1852?!? I was seriously interested until I saw that date--William of Occam lived in the 14th century.

nathanwpyle

jcliechty wrote:Dudes! What's with 1852?!? I was seriously interested until I saw that date--William of Occam lived in the 14th century.

I made a choice between multiple dates - Per le wiki...

The term "Occam's razor" first appeared in 1852 in the works of Sir William Hamilton, 9th Baronet (1788–1856), centuries after William of Ockham's death.[12] Ockham did not invent this "razor"; its association with him may be due to the frequency and effectiveness with which he used it (Ariew 1976). Ockham stated the principle in various ways, but the most popular version was written by John Punch from Cork in 1639 (Meyer 1957).[13]

timerider

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timerider
phoquenut wrote:Now all I need is the simplest solution to: how to enjoy this shirt without my non-nerdy friends thinking I'm being smug or condescending, when I have to explain Occam's Razor to them. I learned my lesson with Schrodinger's cat.

Get smarter friends.
Really, who hasn't heard of Occam's razor? It was even in the Simpsons long ago.

rhanlives

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rhanlives

Schrödinger's cat is waaay more esoteric than Occam's Razor.

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

phoquenut wrote:Now all I need is the simplest solution to: how to enjoy this shirt without my non-nerdy friends thinking I'm being smug or condescending, when I have to explain Occam's Razor to them.

Tell them "maybe a shirt about a razor is just a shirt about a razor" and leave it at that.