WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you buy souvenir t-shirts when you go on vacation?
  • 12.1% - Always 128
  • 35.9% - Maybe if they're really clever (I GOT MY CLAMS STEAMED IN MAINE, etc.) 378
  • 23.5% - Very rarely, only to prove I went to Ulaan Bataar or wherever 248
  • 9.8% - Never 103
  • 18.7% - Vacation? What vacation? 197
1054 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Of course. My Guinea-Bissau t-shirt was designed in the US, woven in Chinese textile factories by people working for pennies, screen-printed in Lesotho by 13-year olds, QC tested in South Africa and finally shipped to Guinea-Bissau where I picked it up on a street corner for $3 US dollars.

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester

I use to get them all the time, but soon found that I had no time to wear them as my woot shirt collection pretty much had conquered my wardrobe.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Absolutely not. It's completely irrational and shallowly snobbish, but I utterly despise souvenir t-shirts. Just thinking about them right now is getting me all lip-sneeringly riled up. I cannot understand wasting money on a touristic shirt when I could be buying something unique, local, and meaningful instead. Art, jewelry, tapestry, carpet, pottery, shoes, spices, non-touristic original clothing, etc--that's what's for bringing home.

And you know what makes this attitude particularly lovely and aromatic? I get a fridge magnet from each place I visit. Yeah, I don't even know. Hypocrisy, thy name is goldenthorn. I probably have repressed memories of a souvenir t-shirt flushing my goldfish down the toilet or something.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

The last time I looked at souvenir tees they were ones designed to appeal to drunk frat boys. Made me wonder if those little grandmas selling them ever had anyone translate them (Spanish speakers only).

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather

What is this "vacation" of which you speak? I do not understand.

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban

My favorite souvenir t-shirt:

New Mexico: Not really new and not really Mexico.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
goldenthorn wrote:Absolutely not. It's completely irrational and shallowly snobbish, but I utterly despise souvenir t-shirts. Just thinking about them right now is getting me all lip-sneeringly riled up. I cannot understand wasting money on a touristic shirt when I could be buying something unique, local, and meaningful instead. Art, jewelry, tapestry, carpet, pottery, shoes, spices, non-touristic original clothing, etc--that's what's for bringing home.

Agreed. I'm more about taking pictures, seeing sites unique to a location, and getting something local. I never realized this was something I did until I took my wife to Hollywood for her first visit. The cheap, useless garbage there doesn't say anything unique or local; it says "some person in a sweatshop made a cheap shirt."

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I get other souvenirs instead. Especially at foreign locations.
I DO get the kiddos "ride" T-shirts when they successfully survive "The Excruciator!" or somesuch.

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I used to, but now I feel horribly ashamed and am going to burn them, revisit each location, and find something indigenous to buy instead.

Not really. I can't recall the last time I bought a souvenir of any sort. I tend to take tons of pictures instead, since they're easier to store than a pile of knick knacks.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

I'll only buy a t-shirt if it is on the same level as my woot shirt collection. I don't get to wear them very often, so if I'm going to spend money on a shirt, I want it to be good! My wife, however, always seems to get the city name shirts for her and the kids and friends and...

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138

I HIKED out of my car and took a picture of THE GORGE (Watkins Glen)

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow

If I'm traveling internationally, I get tattoos. If I'm going to Branson, Missouri, I don't get anything.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cdrewlow wrote:If I'm traveling internationally, I get tattoos. If I'm going to Branson, Missouri, I don't get anything.

What did you get in Folsom?

move along

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
j5 wrote:What did you get in Folsom?

Traumatized.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

LOL, vacation? I can't even afford to buy t-shirts of the places that I would like to go to - someday! Maybe I can pull off the gas money to get over to the travel agent's office and waste her time about vacations I will never take...

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I get my husband the National Forest type old tymie shirts...I never get one myself because I don't care, I have enough shirts already. The kids sometimes get one, but more because they need clean clothes after eating...what a mess.

I like to try to find the unique, small token to display...but they always seem to be made in china...and I haven't been to china.

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca

If not a tee, I might pick up something snarky that catches my eye, such as the 'bite me' apron I got whilst in Maine...depicting, of course, a lobster in a pot. Even if I never use these things, they have immense potential for gag/white elephant gifts somewhere down the road.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I grew up in a tourist town. I even sold souvenir T-Shirts. I don't own any. I don't need my wardrobe to be an affidavit of my former whereabouts.