Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
lyonscc wrote:Alrighty... Love this derby (I hope), though the first family brainstorming comment was "You realize this week will be Link Central. Meh".

Trying to decide between red and navy:





I think the design is fun but there will never be a day I wear a shirt with the word "naz1" on it. "Grammar Maven Mafia" would give you alliteration.

dfunk29


quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29

[quote postid="5339185" user="lyonscc"]Alrighty... Love this derby (I hope), though the first family brainstorming comment was "You realize this week will be Link Central. Meh".

Trying to decide between red and navy:

Navy blue, definitely!

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
oakenspirit wrote:Any thoughts on this one so far?

Chess Club!!



It's a neat design, I'm just not seeing the connection with a secret society of any kind. Yes, the font is clever, but unless there's something about chess clubs I don't know (in which case it would be a real secret society & outside the rules), I'm not getting it.

safyrejet


quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet
odysseyroc wrote:I'm a little bummed that I never got a chance to play guest editor.



Me too. Although I didn't really think I'd get to do it. I probably don't know enough about the inner secret woot society workings to have been considered. I just chat here with the occasional witty comment and I sporadically send Woot money.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
tgentry wrote:I'm kicking around the idea of having guest editor's curate PLUS sales -- picking their favorites that we've printed and also working in new D contracts of their choosing. I think it might be an even better way to give our a community a voice. We'll see where it goes.

Oooh, that might be fun. Another thought is to have some Guest Editor picks out of the Double-Take Derby for the Mentions of Honor sale. Less risk for woot (no commission), but it would be fun to see what shirt ThunderThighs, etc. picked, and would still get some fresh eyes picking shirts. Hint: make 'em write a sentence about what grabbed them about their pick. It would save the writers some work but it would be interesting/might get people to click through to read the reason for picking a shirt.

kevlar51 wrote:I asked where those monthly dues go, and they said it paid the salary for the person who sends out the monthly dues' invoices.

Too bad it doesn't pay the salary for the person who records which artists paid their dues.

tgentry wrote:Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't run into it before, but I'll check it out this derby with some zero-vote entries.

Yes.

tjschaeffer wrote:It tends to happen to me too, but not always. And the way it works is never the same. Sometimes it registers the vote. Sometimes it switches over to "Take It Back" but doesn't increase the vote count, and sometimes it will also do nothing, and then when I click again I get a pop-up that says I already voted.

It's kinda like that. I noticed that it happens if I use the "back" button on my browser to return to the Derby page (I don't do this often, but it's happened). It will occasionally happen if I open entries in separate tabs, vote in those tabs, and then refresh the Derby page in the same tab where it was open before; if I open the main Derby page in a new tab (rather than refreshing), they show up. I'll pay more attention this week.

cdrewlow wrote:I, for one, welcome are new flightless Board of Directors.

PENGUINS. Also, PANDAS. (What? Pandas are flightless too!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Thank you to all for your input (even the guy who didn't recognize the upraised fist symbol).

I added the comma, and when Woot's filter nixed naz1, I realized that I probably would need to change that. I bounced around several here at home, and ended up with this (I've always loved the word "Cabal", and finally got to use it!)



Oakenspirit: I did play around w/ a red pencil, but it kind of made the pencils disappear into the backdrop... It was a good idea, tho!

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

I also pulled some design objects I was working with last week, on a rejected design, and added some things (along with lots of fun grunge-work), and came up with this:



As a HUGE Dark Tower fan, I really wish there as a Woot shirt that parodied or paid homage to it...

EDIT: I assume that "Ka-Tet" would be rejection bait. Even though it shows up elsewhere in pop culture, I can't find it prior to King's Dark Tower. "Ka" was pulled from ancient Egyptian (so I could use that, I suppose), but "tet" doesn't seem to come from there, and "ka-tet" looks to be of King's doing...

ENarciso


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ENarciso
lyonscc wrote:Thank you to all for your input (even the guy who didn't recognize the upraised fist symbol). !



No, I recognized it. I just don't think it's all that original. Also, I'm not a guy.

paaiyan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
tgentry wrote:Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't run into it before, but I'll check it out this derby with some zero-vote entries.



Come to think of it, it did happen to me once in this week's derby. I'd voted for a shirt, posted on the comments, then came back later and it looked as if my vote hadn't counted.

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Nekkochan wrote:It's a neat design, I'm just not seeing the connection with a secret society of any kind. Yes, the font is clever, but unless there's something about chess clubs I don't know (in which case it would be a real secret society & outside the rules), I'm not getting it.



If you were in a chess club in high school and it was anything like ours, you'd know how much like a secret society it felt... The first rule of chess club... Do not talk about Chess Club.


lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
ENarciso wrote:No, I recognized it. I just don't think it's all that original. Also, I'm not a guy.



My apologies - I misread your handle as "ElNarciso", and assumed the "El" was masculine!

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
oakenspirit wrote:If you were in a chess club in high school and it was anything like ours, you'd know how much like a secret society it felt... The first rule of chess club... Do not talk about Chess Club.



Boom. There's your t-shirt.

rollelectric


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollelectric
orabbit wrote:Boom. There's your t-shirt.



Somehow, just somehow, I think I've heard this somewhere before.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

With 1 and 2 now being vote winners maybe Woot will stray a little out of the fog for good/interesting/different designs a bit more now hmm?

Because what's the point if editors just choose top 5 anyway.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
safyrejet wrote: I just chat here with the occasional witty comment and I sporadically send Woot money.



me too, except for the "witty" part.

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Just wondering: If "real" Secret Societies are actually doing their job right, how would we know if we're running afoul of the rules and making a shirt for them?

If you were to Google a design's "Secret Society" and come up with no results, perhaps that would be primary evidence that the "Secret Society" is a real one!

DAISYC


quality posts: 6 Private Messages DAISYC

.

kcjenk42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcjenk42

I really like this design on the blue. Removing naz1 was a good call for a number of reasons and I love the use of cabal. However, I don't find the new name flows smoothly off the tongue. What about making it an alliteration like Grammar Corps Cabal?

lyonscc wrote:Thank you to all for your input (even the guy who didn't recognize the upraised fist symbol).

I added the comma, and when Woot's filter nixed naz1, I realized that I probably would need to change that. I bounced around several here at home, and ended up with this (I've always loved the word "Cabal", and finally got to use it!)



Oakenspirit: I did play around w/ a red pencil, but it kind of made the pencils disappear into the backdrop... It was a good idea, tho!



lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
kcjenk42 wrote:I really like this design on the blue. Removing naz1 was a good call for a number of reasons and I love the use of cabal. However, I don't find the new name flows smoothly off the tongue. What about making it an alliteration like Grammar Corps Cabal?


I agree on the flow of the new name being clunky.

I found one with a great deal more alliteration, based on the final vowel, though I like Grammar Corps Cabal, as well...

I'm still torn on the color - online everyone has said blue, and IRL every vote has been for red (because grammar naz1's correct things in red...)

I suppose I could submit both colors and drop the lower vote-getting one after the first day (like last week), but I think you end up losing more votes that way...

decisions, decisions...

justynadorsz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz
lyonscc wrote:I also pulled some design objects I was working with last week, on a rejected design, and added some things (along with lots of fun grunge-work), and came up with this:



As a HUGE Dark Tower fan, I really wish there as a Woot shirt that parodied or paid homage to it...

EDIT: I assume that "Ka-Tet" would be rejection bait. Even though it shows up elsewhere in pop culture, I can't find it prior to King's Dark Tower. "Ka" was pulled from ancient Egyptian (so I could use that, I suppose), but "tet" doesn't seem to come from there, and "ka-tet" looks to be of King's doing...




Reminds me of Megan Lara design
http://www.redbubble.com/people/meganlara/works/9090965-he-followed

debragr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr
lyonscc wrote:Alrighty... Love this derby (I hope), though the first family brainstorming comment was "You realize this week will be Link Central. Meh".

Trying to decide between red and navy:





Two thoughts: First, unless it is on purpose, you need a comma after typo. Second, I don't think the shirt color matters as much as making the tip of the pencil red (which might be more obvious if it is on a navy shirt).

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
justynadorsz wrote:Reminds me of Megan Lara design
http://www.redbubble.com/people/meganlara/works/9090965-he-followed



Ooooh! I like that! (I may have to order one for myself). There are a lot of DT-inspired designs out there w/ the keyhole & gunslinger motif, but I like how she added in the field of roses and the symbol of the Crimson King.

ste7enl


quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

so this turned into a pop culture fest real fast

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
ste7enl wrote:so this turned into a pop culture fest real fast



Always does when the rules allow it.

move along

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Nothing screams 'secret society' like a reference everyone gets, right?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ste7enl


quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
Mavyn wrote:Nothing screams 'secret society' like a reference everyone gets, right?



Yeah, I really wasn't of the mindset that pop culture went hand in hand with secret societies. Don't get me wrong, I love pop art, but I really was hoping for more originality in this comp.

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
ste7enl wrote:Yeah, I really wasn't of the mindset that pop culture went hand in hand with secret societies. Don't get me wrong, I love pop art, but I really was hoping for more originality in this comp.



In all honesty, I didn't think of the BSG reference in my own design until after I was done. I was shooting for "harmless mundane appliance" and chose a toaster.

At some point I remembered the Cylons were called "toasters," and was comfortable with that--the best pop reference shirts are the ones folks can enjoy without getting the reference.

ste7enl


quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
kevlar51 wrote:In all honesty, I didn't think of the BSG reference in my own design until after I was done. I was shooting for "harmless mundane appliance" and chose a toaster.

At some point I remembered the Cylons were called "toasters," and was comfortable with that--the best pop reference shirts are the ones folks can enjoy without getting the reference.



Yeah, I wasn't even sure if you were going for BSG, as a huge fan of the show I saw it as such, but I think you straddled the line well.

blk909


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
oakenspirit wrote:

Chess Club!!



Truly a secret society!

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Disappearing votes: I just had the "disappearing vote" thing happen with International Adult Conspiracy three minutes after it was posted. I opened it in another tab from MJ's post in the Derby discussion thread. On its individual page, it had one vote, I voted, I clicked from its entry page to "Derby" and noticed the design still had only one vote. "I'd want one" was gray, so I clicked it again to un-want it and it went from +1 to 0. Then I clicked on it again and it instantly went from 0 to +2. (I suppose MJ could have been unvoting for her own design at the exact same time that I was voting for it, but I find that unlikely...)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

It just happened again with The Golden Potato. The "I'd want one" box is grey and says "Take it back," but it currently has 0 votes. I'm going to leave this one for now if the devs want to take a gander at it.

(OS 10.8.2, Firefox 18.0.2)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
neuropsychosocial wrote:It just happened again with The Golden Potato. The "I'd want one" box is grey and says "Take it back," but it currently has 0 votes. I'm going to leave this one for now if the devs want to take a gander at it.

(OS 10.8.2, Firefox 18.0.2)



That actually happens to me all the time, but it gets sorted out in half a minute or so. I figure there's just a lag between vote counting and vote displaying.

STrRedWolf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages STrRedWolf

You do realize that some cons (*cough* Anthrocon 2014) have "Secret Societies" as a theme...

lotsofgoats


quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

Is anybody going to make a Pen 15 club shirt?


No?

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
orabbit wrote:That actually happens to me all the time, but it gets sorted out in half a minute or so. I figure there's just a lag between vote counting and vote displaying.

Last night, it was at least 15 minutes and the design was still showing as +0.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
kevlar51 wrote:In all honesty, I didn't think of the BSG reference in my own design until after I was done. I was shooting for "harmless mundane appliance" and chose a toaster.

At some point I remembered the Cylons were called "toasters," and was comfortable with that--the best pop reference shirts are the ones folks can enjoy without getting the reference.



FWIW, I didn't have a specific design in mind for my comment. I like the toaster design, and while it fits with BSG, I didn't think this was a reference until it was pointed out. Toasters always look like they're up to something.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pijaczaj


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pijaczaj

I'm new with derby, Can anyone explain me why there is this question mark on some designs?

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
pijaczaj wrote:I'm new with derby, Can anyone explain me why there is this question mark on some designs?



These designs are in the Top 9, which is called the "Fog of War," or just "The Fog." Woot hides the voting results for The Fog to keep things interesting (and to discourage voting manipulation).

And welcome aboard!

pijaczaj


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pijaczaj

Thanks 8)

rcg4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcg4
pijaczaj wrote:Thanks 8)



Yes thanks! And thanks for asking, i was wondering also.