WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We'd all like to be one of the shadowy figures pulling the marionette strings of the global order. But the existing secret societies are so hard to get ahold of, never mind get into. Well, if you can't join em, beat 'em. Design a t-shirt for your own secret society for this week's Derby, complete with arcane iconography and eldritch rituals. Yeah, most secret societies don't advertise themselves on t-shirts. But that's the kind of bold thinking that's going to make your mystic brotherhood the most successful of all.

No, um, "real" secret societies. No Illuminati, no Rosicrucians, no Freemasons, no Anonymous, etc. Our true masters would not approve.

No Royal Blue or Cranberry shirts.

And a change to the selection of winners: We will now sell the 2nd place finisher in the vote on Saturdays and our Editor's Choice pick on Sundays. We're eliminating the Guest Editor pick. Thanks to everybody who served - we just wish there were more of you.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Couple of things:

- There will likely be a banned shirt color or two, but I'd like to verify before we say for sure. Hopefully we can knock at least one off that ongoing list.

- We're tweaking the way the winner's are chosen. First and Second Place are now determined by the voters, while third place will be an Editor's Choice.

I loved the way we got to involve the community and even voices from inside the woot offices with the guest editor picks, but we think we may have moved a little too far away from the democratic vote. Hopefully this strikes a better balance.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
tgentry wrote:Couple of things:

- There will likely be a banned shirt color or two, but I'd like to verify before we say for sure. Hopefully we can knock at least one off that ongoing list.

- We're tweaking the way the winner's are chosen. First and Second Place are now determined by the voters, while third place will be an Editor's Choice.

I loved the way we got to involve the community and even voices from inside the woot offices with the guest editor picks, but we think we may have moved a little too far away from the democratic vote. Hopefully this strikes a better balance.

I'm a little bummed that I never got a chance to play guest editor.

tgentry

Staff

odysseyroc wrote:I'm a little bummed that I never got a chance to play guest editor.

I'm kicking around the idea of having guest editor's curate PLUS sales -- picking their favorites that we've printed and also working in new D contracts of their choosing. I think it might be an even better way to give our a community a voice. We'll see where it goes.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
tgentry wrote:I'm kicking around the idea of having guest editor's curate PLUS sales -- picking their favorites that we've printed and also working in new D contracts of their choosing. I think it might be an even better way to give our a community a voice. We'll see where it goes.

That sounds pretty great.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
tgentry wrote:Couple of things:

This makes me sooooo happy. I've always believe that the previous change was too radical. And I think the number of votes reflect it.

Now, Please fix the voting system. I can't understand why if I vote for a shirt that has 0 votes, 5 minutes later it still shows 0 votes. Sometimes my vote won't even register at all, even when I reload the page it still says "I Want One".

I love Woot more than ever, but I do miss the old Woot!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Interesting

move along

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
omarfeliciano wrote:Now, Please fix the voting system. I can't understand why if I vote for a shirt that has 0 votes, 5 minutes later it still shows 0 votes. Sometimes my vote won't even register at all, even when I reload the page it still says "I Want One".

have you been paying your "printed artist secret society" monthly dues?

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
no1 wrote:have you been paying your "printed artist secret society" monthly dues?

I asked where those monthly dues go, and they said it paid the salary for the person who sends out the monthly dues' invoices.

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks

Somebody totally needs to do "Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy".

Name take from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "The Card". The named organization is non-existent, even within the context of the episode. Just the ramblings of a madman.

tgentry

Staff

kevlar51 wrote:I asked where those monthly dues go, and they said it paid the salary for the person who sends out the monthly dues' invoices.

It's best not to ask too many questions about it unless you want your thetan levels audited. I've said too much.

tgentry

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:I can't understand why if I vote for a shirt that has 0 votes, 5 minutes later it still shows 0 votes. Sometimes my vote won't even register at all, even when I reload the page it still says "I Want One".

Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't run into it before, but I'll check it out this derby with some zero-vote entries.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

So pop culture is wide open? Brace yourselves...

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

Has not happened to me and I usually am an awardee of most software glitches. Hmm - maybe I belong to a society so secret I don't even know I am a member!

tgentry wrote:Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't run into it before, but I'll check it out this derby with some zero-vote entries.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
tgentry wrote:Is this happening to anyone else? I haven't run into it before, but I'll check it out this derby with some zero-vote entries.

It tends to happen to me too, but not always. And the way it works is never the same. Sometimes it registers the vote. Sometimes it switches over to "Take It Back" but doesn't increase the vote count, and sometimes it will also do nothing, and then when I click again I get a pop-up that says I already voted.

amroyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo
orabbit wrote:So pop culture is wide open? Brace yourselves...

Cue a plethora of Zelda, Mario, and Jedi designs.

Oh and TMNT Secret of the Ooze secret society.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I used the example of 0 votes because it's easy to spot this problem when a design doesn't have any votes at all and you are the only one voting for it.

But I've voted for shirts that regardless the number of votes it has, it seems that it's not counting mine at the moment. Sometimes I even wonder if my vote was registered!

tgentry

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:I used the example of 0 votes because it's easy to spot this problem when a design doesn't have any votes at all and you are the only one voting for it.

But I've voted for shirts that regardless the number of votes it has, it seems that it's not counting mine at the moment. Sometimes I even wonder if my vote was registered!

It's likely being registered, but not showing up right away. I think our dev guys have mentioned in the past that it can a little bit for the votes to update on the site, even though it's actually tallied in our computers (and should eventually be reflected in the displayed votes.)

You're right about the 0 votes being a good test so I'll give it a shot this weekend. Also, if you find a particular instance where you think this is happening, you can email me and I'll see if your vote is registering for that design.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Somewhat similar in theme to the old derby "Blank is the new Pirate", but with added text flavor!

I see secret penguin societies on the derby horizon...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
odysseyroc wrote:I'm a little bummed that I never got a chance to play guest editor.

Me too, but I figured they wouldn't pick someone with a lot of ENTRIES- they wanted people with a lot of WINS. Sadly, I'm in the former group, and not the latter...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
SkekTek wrote:Me too, but I figured they wouldn't pick someone with a lot of ENTRIES- they wanted people with a lot of WINS. Sadly, I'm in the former group, and not the latter...

Hardly.

move along

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
tjschaeffer wrote:It tends to happen to me too, but not always. And the way it works is never the same. Sometimes it registers the vote. Sometimes it switches over to "Take It Back" but doesn't increase the vote count, and sometimes it will also do nothing, and then when I click again I get a pop-up that says I already voted.

Ditto!
Have cut waaay back on voting and this is one (of several) of the reasons.

07/11/14

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
SkekTek wrote:I see secret penguin societies on the derby horizon...

I, for one, welcome are new flightless Board of Directors.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Secret secrets are no fun
Secret secrets hurt someone

http://theoffice.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_Franklin

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Alrighty... Love this derby (I hope), though the first family brainstorming comment was "You realize this week will be Link Central. Meh".

Trying to decide between red and navy:

lyonscc

And one more, from my college days, when we talked about starting our own secret society of pyros - Pi Rho Delta (where delta is the often the symbol of heat/fire in Chemistry, and Pi Rho ("pyro") is pretty self-explanatory).

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Never

mathking1992

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mathking1992

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one entry has an Assassin's Creed reference.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
lyonscc wrote:Alrighty... Love this derby (I hope), though the first family brainstorming comment was "You realize this week will be Link Central. Meh".

I prefer the Navy but something seems wonky to me about the slogan... You need it to READ PERFECTLY unless you are being ironic... it's fine, just awkward and wanting of a comma... ;)

EDIT- Also... would be COOL if the pencils were RED...

oakenspirit

Any thoughts on this one so far?

Chess Club!!

lyonscc

oakenspirit wrote:I prefer the Navy but something seems wonky to me about the slogan... You need it to READ PERFECTLY unless you are being ironic... it's fine, just awkward and wanting of a comma... ;)

EDIT- Also... would be COOL if the pencils were RED...

Thanks! My grammar-naz1 in residence concurs with your diagnosis of a missing comma :-) Thank you very much!

I've played with a number of colors, and agree with you on the blue, though my family all seems to be in favor of the red...

Thank you very much!

ENarciso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ENarciso
lyonscc wrote:Alrighty... Love this derby (I hope), though the first family brainstorming comment was "You realize this week will be Link Central. Meh".

These hands are almost identical to a shutterstock image, you just angled yours and reversed the pencil. So the last thing I think of is original design when I see it.

orabbit

oakenspirit wrote:Any thoughts on this one so far?

Chess Club!!

The chess pieces look great, but the logo is too clever. Keep it simple! Add a funny catchphrase instead.

lyonscc

ENarciso wrote:These hands are almost identical to a shutterstock image, you just angled yours and reversed the pencil. So the last thing I think of is original design when I see it.

I patterned the hands after the "raised fist" logos often used by organized labor and other populist movements. (Google "Raised Fist" - there are hundreds of variations).

The ones I looked at:

See the Wikipedia Article on the use of this symbolism.

The whole point was that this be recognizable as some sort of "labor movement" motif, in this case "grammar I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorants".

I free-hand drew the hands & arms (which are a different shape, and have longer arms - so that I could stack them, like soldiers in Soviet propaganda posters). So, I didn't intend the image to be completely unrecognizable, but rather that it invoke the "solidarity" theme, with a humorous twist...

orabbit

mathking1992 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if at least one entry has an Assassin's Creed reference.

I was thinking about that, but I'm sure "ABSTERGO" will get rejected.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Keepers of the Sacred Words:

Keep lower sunburst? Illuminati enough? Working at all?

The typography is super rough... I know it looks janky right now...

lyonscc

rasabi wrote:Keepers of the Sacred Words:

Ha! Love it... The crossed out "ni" is perfect :-)

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:The chess pieces look great, but the logo is too clever. Keep it simple! Add a funny catchphrase instead.

Hm...

Don't really have any more time to tweak it tonight so I might just post it while Im at work tomorrow and see how it flies-

The idea is so ingrained with an ambigram in my head I am having a hard time separating them... Ill stew and see what becomes of it.
THanks for the input O...

oakenspirit

rasabi wrote:Keepers of the Sacred Words:

Awesome as usual man... I like it with the lower sunburst myself.

lonelypond

quality posts: 424 Private Messages lonelypond
tgentry wrote:I'm kicking around the idea of having guest editor's curate PLUS sales -- picking their favorites that we've printed and also working in new D contracts of their choosing. I think it might be an even better way to give our a community a voice. We'll see where it goes.

sounds intriguing