blackbirdps3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbirdps3

There is too much clutter being posted. Most of these "societies" are neither secret nor funny but people keep on posting their 5 minute designs.
I'm glad to finally see some people get called out on it. Woot needs to do something about this. If you post something after Saturday, it will get lost among the crap.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
deesbar wrote:I need four of these; 3 for the grandkids and 1 for me! Please print!

Thanks Dee,I hope you get them !

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tomspc wrote:yes, men wear whitey tighties BUT these whitey tighties are outlined in yellow and green just like a little boys undies are. It still looks perv to me

This is a pop culture reference design.
More specifically South Park.
They are kid's undies as the characters are kids, but it's pop culture, and so is not creepy.
Tada!

move along

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
j5 wrote:This is a pop culture reference design.
More specifically South Park.
They are kid's undies as the characters are kids, but it's pop culture, and so is not creepy.
Tada!

Sorry, that does not make it any better...creepy. The fact I'm the only one who thinks so is even more disturbing than the shirt.

kyrn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyrn

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: The Society of Adventuring Doctors (RESUB)

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions, everyone!
In the event of a rejection I have another version with a less Zoidbergy Zoidberg (which I actually prefer) rearing to go. I hope a round of rejections comes soon.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Radscoolian wrote:Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions, everyone!
In the event of a rejection I have another version with a less Zoidbergy Zoidberg (which I actually prefer) rearing to go. I hope a round of rejections comes soon.

This has to be frustrating.... the clock is ticking ! You guys need a chance to resub....

marbenais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marbenais

I do appreciate the lack of 'n*zi' in the image, so, thank you!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
Re: Keepers of the Sacred Words

The more that I study this the more I like it. Not to mention the mash-up that I see between The Knights and Jager.. gmv

j5

tomspc wrote:Sorry, that does not make it any better...creepy. The fact I'm the only one who thinks so is even more disturbing than the shirt.

Step 1. Creep out tomspc
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit!

I'd link you to a youtube of the episode, but I don't think you'd watch it.

move along

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
j5 wrote:Step 1. Creep out tomspc
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit!

I'd link you to a youtube of the episode, but I don't think you'd watch it.

Lol, just what I was thinking!

xkke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xkke

This explains a lot. I guess I can take that creepy kid down the street off my suspect list...

Re: Underpants Gnomes

keanenutrition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keanenutrition

The design is just too spread out for my taste. It would have worked better if the elements had been closer together so I will have to pass on this one.

I love the Dark Tower series. In fact I sit here wearing a black tee bearing an orange design based on the Dark Tower series that I recently purchased elsewhere.

Re: The Magickal Society & Royal Order of 19

keanenutrition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keanenutrition

Henri, le Chat Noir, has formed a secret society!!! Now I know what my cat has been up to! Love it.

Re: Society of the Black Cat

Radscoolian

Re: The Machine Collective

They'll rebel, and evolve. There will be many copies. They have a plan...

Radscoolian

Re: Lone Wolf

Looks like tonight, the lone wolf rides... alone.

cabinboy100

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabinboy100

Dark Initiative, aka D.A.R.K.—Dark Applications Research and Knowledge.

When Galactic 815 crashed on that uncharted moon, the survivors could never have imagined uncovering the Dark Initiative's Itsa Space station beneath its surface.

This is the sign for that particular DI station. Who knows how many others there may be...?

Also, did you hear that J.J. Abrams is directing a movie with the word "star" in its title?

Re: Dark Initiative

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

laidoutinamber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laidoutinamber
Re: Keepers of the Shrubbery

Oh man, I'm really going to need this to be a thing.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
helgram wrote:Thanks guys.
In the process of working on it, I kept thinking of a viable name for the secret group in question and got aboard the alliteration train. Thought I'd share some of that crazy with you; the following are the rejected names:

- "Merchants of Mythical Tomes"
- "League of Extraordinary Librarians"
- "Collectors of Curious Tracts"
- "Curators of Cryptic Codices"
- "Absurd Archivists Association"
- "Bizzare Book Club"
- "Purveyors of Peculiar Texts"
- "Fellowship of Fantastical Folios"
- "Sorority of Shadowy Scribes"
- "Seekers of Strange Treatises"

I felt that I got carried away and went with something simpler and less pompous. It was a fun exercise though ;)

OK, now I want a "League of Extraordinary Librarians" shirt.

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Secret Hitchhikers Society

Hope you enjoy this collaboration, thanks for checkin' it out. Two colors on a silver shirt.

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: love the craft society
orabbit wrote:Great vibe and texture. Hope it does well.

Thanks a lot Orabbit,but i think this one has no chance at all :-))

thePenrod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thePenrod
Re: Inviolable Conclave of the Dread Pirates Roberts

Man there's a lot of hatred for you. Just read the thread for the other dread pirate shirt. I think you should design a secret society shirt around you and shirt.Woot (read the other thread).

People are sad.

pijaczaj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pijaczaj

Hi everyone. My first derby entry ever. hope you like it 8)

xerozen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerozen

love the monkey island throw in at the end, +1

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
Re: Time Travel is Cool

Want this badly.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
thePenrod wrote:Man there's a lot of hatred for you. Just read the thread for the other dread pirate shirt. I think you should design a secret society shirt around you and shirt.Woot (read the other thread).

People are sad.

Aye... I hadn't seen any of that (thanks, Christian /sarc).

Actually, it looks like two folks (maybe just one and an alt, who knows?). I'm not even sure what their beef is/was - I submitted this just before the Mrs. and I left for a couple of days of museums, away from the kids. I was pleasantly surprised it made it to the fog sometime on Sunday (a watched kettle never boils, I guess), as it was about halfway there when I checked w/ my Blackberry Saturday night...

(I've never made it a secret that I send my new entries out to the list you're on, and to my technie friend list in gmail. A number of other artists also post their designs on FB, or send out messages to friends to vote. It's not verboten...)

Who knows...

j5

Re: Secret Hitchhikers Society

Homefree is the way to be.

move along

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Re: The Catchers

I am by no means a poke-fan but this is incredibly well done and eye catching.... no pun intended. Really.

helo12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helo12
Re: Secret Decoder Society

Just a fun idea I had thought of. I remember how cool I thought those hidden messages were in comics, magazines and stickers when I was a kid. Just use a red filter of some sorts to see the message, it should still be slightly visible without a filter but for those who can't see it try the filter. Let me know what you guys think!

j5

helo12 wrote:Just a fun idea I had thought of. I remember how cool I thought those hidden messages were in comics, magazines and stickers when I was a kid. Just use a red filter of some sorts to see the message, it should still be slightly visible without a filter but for those who can't see it try the filter. Let me know what you guys think!

What, no ovaltine reference?

move along

randomwordz321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randomwordz321

Wow, anonymity really makes a lot of you jerks. I can't really do anything about most of you but when artists are being jerks to other artists or users, it really makes me not want to vote for your designs -- just so you know... it is about the art but it's also about not supporting a**holes.
If you have legitimate concerns or complaints, say them clearly and then be done.

LadyLuck84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LadyLuck84
Re: Cosa Nostra Grammatica

As I was an English major in college and I am now employed as a copy editor... this shirt is probably one of the best things I've ever seen (and I own a lot of Woot shirts). Very well done! GMV!

LadyLuck84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LadyLuck84

My internet is being wonky. Just posted the same thing twice. *sigh*

helo12

lyonscc wrote:Aye... I hadn't seen any of that (thanks, Christian /sarc).

Actually, it looks like two folks (maybe just one and an alt, who knows?). I'm not even sure what their beef is/was - I submitted this just before the Mrs. and I left for a couple of days of museums, away from the kids. I was pleasantly surprised it made it to the fog sometime on Sunday (a watched kettle never boils, I guess), as it was about halfway there when I checked w/ my Blackberry Saturday night...

(I've never made it a secret that I send my new entries out to the list you're on, and to my technie friend list in gmail. A number of other artists also post their designs on FB, or send out messages to friends to vote. It's not verboten...)

Who knows...

Well I'm relatively new here so my analysis might not count for much, but I think people being upset has more to do with the manor in which your work accelerates up the rankings rather than you as an artist.

While it is totally legal and great to campaign your work, it is disheartening to others when yours surpasses theirs within a few hours and I think this leads to the conspiracy/secret society thoughts?

Take your Invictus design from last week for example, in all honesty it made for a bad shirt (I'm not speaking about you as an artist). That being said, it somehow shot up the rankings.

Like I said earlier, it's good to campaign, but I think the point of getting a vote shouldn't just be out of support for knowing an artist. A vote should signify that irregardless of the relationship to an artist, they would genuinely buy and wear the shirt if they were to see it in a store. For all I know, that is the case, I just believe that's what the beef is about.

So I'm not trying to make enemies or insult you or anything, I'm just offering my perspective on what has seemed to be brewing since I've been around. I think you have talent so I hope you don't take offense.

thePenrod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thePenrod
helo12 wrote:Well I'm relatively new here so my analysis might not count for much, but I think people being upset has more to do with the manor in which your work accelerates up the rankings rather than you as an artist.

While it is totally legal and great to campaign your work, it is disheartening to others when yours surpasses theirs within a few hours and I think this leads to the conspiracy/secret society thoughts?

Take your Invictus design from last week for example, in all honesty it made for a bad shirt (I'm not speaking about you as an artist). That being said, it somehow shot up the rankings.

Like I said earlier, it's good to campaign, but I think the point of getting a vote shouldn't just be out of support for knowing an artist. A vote should signify that irregardless of the relationship to an artist, they would genuinely buy and wear the shirt if they were to see it in a store. For all I know, that is the case, I just believe that's what the beef is about.

So I'm not trying to make enemies or insult you or anything, I'm just offering my perspective on what has seemed to be brewing since I've been around. I think you have talent so I hope you don't take offense.

I'm a friend of Lyonscc but I've told him before that I have disliked some of his designs and really liked others.

But being a friend of Lyonscc, I know that the designs of his that do really well (a couple well enough to sell), it isn't because he has a ton of friends voting for him. His good designs do well. The others fall flat.

Nobody wants bad designs to win because nobody wants to buy bad shirts. But beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

helo12

thePenrod wrote:I'm a friend of Lyonscc but I've told him before that I have disliked some of his designs and really liked others.

But being a friend of Lyonscc, I know that the designs of his that do really well (a couple well enough to sell), it isn't because he has a ton of friends voting for him. His good designs do well. The others fall flat.

Nobody wants bad designs to win because nobody wants to buy bad shirts. But beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree completely. People will always have different tastes, that's a part of everyone being unique. I don't want it to sound like an attack or like I'm the bitter one, but people have been beating around the bush for as long as I've been here so I figured I'd just tell him directly what I think the problem seems to be.

I know his pyro one received criticism, so I know people are not just collectively voting him up, but people have talked about it, sarcastically or not so I thought it was good to just tell him directly where I think the criticism is coming from.

Thanks for replying respectfully, I didn't want to make it into something that it wasn't. :-)

helo12

j5 wrote:What, no ovaltine reference?

You're making me feel like I missed a synergistic moment, haha.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
helo12 wrote:Well I'm relatively new here so my analysis might not count for much, but I think people being upset has more to do with the manor in which your work accelerates up the rankings rather than you as an artist.

I get that. Part of the thing is, I submit usually 2-4 shirts a week, and most never make it halfway up the rankings. The 'invictus' shirt was one I'd already designed a month or two ago, and I have a group of friends (and a few family members) who have a lot of sentiment tied up in that poem. I actually 'lobbied' harder with that one - sending it out to a group of another 20-30 folks, mostly from my college days, because I knew they'd like it and probably buy one if it printed. (And FWIW, I wish that derby had come a few weeks later, as I was trying to figure a way to halftone it to use less ink.)

When I design shirts that have references to fantasy works (LotR, especially), I have another group I send a message to. (I used to sell thousands of LotR trading cards, and I've still got customer lists and a long list of friends that are LotR fans - plus I still make designs for TheOneRing.net)

This week, I sent a link to my Dark Tower shirt to a small group of friends that are Stephen King fans. A lot of good that has done me, in terms of vote total, you can probably see.

No insult taken, and I understand. I was quite frustrated when I first started designing here a year or so ago, until I started paying attention to what the more successful artists were doing to promote their work (in Facebook and elsewhere). Most of them are professional (or semi-professional) artists with folks that follow their artwork. In my case, I am a Professional Engineer (a registered PE, actually, though I've not had to use my registration for years), with a large network of friends and family who are somewhat nerdy/geeky like me, so that's who I leverage.

Sometimes, I test designs on a few of them before ever submitting them, and if I get a thumbs down, I don't submit the design. In the case of the Pi Rho Delta one, I got a number of thumbs down, but submitted it anyway (as it was a college joke fraternity we used to talk about, and sentiment overrode good sense).

So, I do get what you're saying. I just don't know how to best act on it, other than to make sure that the groups I target for support are ones that would actually buy the shirt.

Thanks again, and no offense taken.