ENarciso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ENarciso
blackbirdps3 wrote:I was going to finish and post this on Friday but the blizzard left us without electricity till Sunday.

I hope you like it!

Hahahaha I love the look on the cats face! Would love to see this printed! GMV

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Ultimate Book Club

Have you read any Fforde? If not...Well recommended.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Oh Hai Thurr!!

O hai...rejection fodder. Topicalilty is questionable, colour count is way over. Sorry.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Re: Inviolable Conclave of the Dread Pirates Roberts

I had a Dread Pirate idea as well. Glad I didn't work on it, because between yours and orabbit's, I don't think there would have been room in this derby for one more!

tjschaeffer

Re: Bōsōzoku

Wow. That is just...wow. Awesome illustration!

tjschaeffer

Re: Dread Pirate Guild (v2)

While I did think the first one looked good, I think this one looks great. Good job, orabbit!

tjschaeffer

I was sold as soon as I saw the Necronomicon.

tjschaeffer

Re: Apostrophe’s for ‘Everyone!’

This look's like it must've taken 'awhile' to do. Good job, Rasab'i.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: love the craft society

Great vibe and texture. Hope it does well.

tjschaeffer

Re: Unmatchus Inexplicubus

There's a secret war waged in the drier between articles of clothing, with socks always bearing the largest casualties. At least, that's my theory...

ksspiff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksspiff

I will be so happy if this makes it. I'd have to use my Jen Barber voice every time I wore the shirt.

ruckers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruckers

Which one of those is Pee Pants?

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
Re: Cosa Nostra Grammatica

This shirt works better than anything else I've seen you do, mainly because the text is so sharp. Moving your effects to the other elements of the design was a good choice. Your lettering tends to get too muddied up when you're setting it on fire, etc.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

I'm no artist but I would think that if you can throw 4 designs into the Derby within a day, you're probably not drawing, sounds more like graphic art. Maybe I will begin submitting designs, even I can manipulate photos and clip art.

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
Re: Entendre Society

Where is The Rejectionator when you need it?

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
lotsofgoats wrote:This shirt works better than anything else I've seen you do, mainly because the text is so sharp. Moving your effects to the other elements of the design was a good choice. Your lettering tends to get too muddied up when you're setting it on fire, etc.

Thank you.

For the past year and a half, or so, I've been trying to self-learn a lot more about graphic design (my wife finished her degree in interior design, and had all the software, books, materials, etc., lying around the house, and it was something I used to play around with a lot (in terms of 3D modeling)). I also used to supervise a group of draftsmen, so I knew a lot of the lingo and many of the basic concepts.

I realize that one of my problems is that whatever technique/tool I'm working with right now is the "hammer" I most want to pick up for the next derby - and that the whole world looks like a nail for that hammer. I haven't done any "fire" designs from scratch for a few months, IRL, but I had a number of completed (or nearly completed) "flame" designs sitting in my TBD file - of which the Pi Rho Delta was the last. I debated whether or not to even submit it this week, and (if the voting totals, even sans the comments, are any indication) I should have just moved it to my Archive folder.

Thank you again for your helpful criticism!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tomspc wrote:I'm no artist but I would think that if you can throw 4 designs into the Derby within a day, you're probably not drawing, sounds more like graphic art. Maybe I will begin submitting designs, even I can manipulate photos and clip art.

I'm not sure which design this comment is directed at (it's not attached to one of my designs, that I can see), but since I've also submitted four designs this week, I might suggest that a lot of artists keep a file of designs that they've not submitted (or that they submitted as an unaccepted daily), and hold onto those until there's a derby theme that can (even tangentially) fit that design.

This week, for example, only one of my designs (the Pirate one) was started from scratch. The Pi Rho Delta one (that I probably should have just archived, in retrospect) was finished about four months ago and underwent no design alterations. The Dark Tower one was mostly done last week, with only the text and grunge-work done for this derby. The Cosa Nostra Grammatica one was mostly completed three months ago, though I was never happy with the title until it switched to its present form.

The first design I printed, I'm a Humanatarian, had been sitting in my TBD file for almost a year before a derby came up that fit the theme ("Comfort Foods"), and the Art Deco treatment I used in the other design of mine that got printed, Food of the Future, had been in my scratch files for a few months, waiting for a good theme and logo (which my wife provided right after Thanksgiving dinner).

As an engineer, one of the things I've been taught - and read about (see: Thomas Edison) - is that your odds of success go way up if you're willing to work on a large volume of ideas, even if most of them fizzle, fail, or are only marginally successful (though you try not to repeat the same failure modes). So instead of playing video games at night (I'm a night owl with some insomnia), I work on lots of designs (many of which never go anywhere, or have parts that get borrowed for other designs down the road), and then hold onto the completed ones until a derby comes up that fits them (or, with a few alterations, would fit them). Sometimes I cull and archive designs from my TBD file, because some of the older designs look really bad now. Or, I pull them out, start from scratch, and run the same concept, but with better execution.

Don't know if that helps, but it is at least my explanation why an artist would have 4 or more subs in a weekend...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
ksspiff wrote:I will be so happy if this makes it. I'd have to use my Jen Barber voice every time I wore the shirt.

Please remember to laugh like her while wearing it!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
orabbit wrote:When I saw that Flattop submitted a Cookie Monster idea, I said "Sweet. I want me a piece of that action. I'ma steal it." Nuts to you Frankie!

In all seriousness, thanks to J5 for collaborating on this one with me!

Well, thanks for accommodating my whim. Sorry it floundered.

move along

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjschaeffer wrote:I was sold as soon as I saw the Necronomicon.

"Big Whoop" was the clincher for me.

move along

ohaisup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohaisup
Re: The Society of Adventuring Doctors (RESUB)

How could this be the Society of Adventuring Doctors and not have Doctor Venture?!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 76 Private Messages oakenspirit
j5 wrote:"Big Whoop" was the clincher for me.

Same here... which might have been obvious from my comment, though maybe not...

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
lyonscc wrote:Ha! Nice one - I wonder if they're friends with the Underwear Gnomes?

GMV +1

haha I seriously considered doing an Underpants Gnome design but I wanted to avoid pop reference for this one (for no good/particular reason). I still get that song in my head all the time.

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

meise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meise
Re: Order of the Ancient IT Secret

This one made me laugh out loud! So funny

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
tjschaeffer wrote:There's a secret war waged in the drier between articles of clothing, with socks always bearing the largest casualties. At least, that's my theory...

I think you're on to something!

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

kcastle411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcastle411
Re: Underpants Gnomes

Haha Mi gusta!

dani96pepi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dani96pepi

I've never liked stickers. Everyone always thought I was crazy, but I finally found another person who shared my phobia, then another, then another. Two of my friends, and my cousin and I, we all don't like stickers, hence the Goo Gone Club was born. I know there are other Goo Gone members out there, hence the shirt :-)

ksspiff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksspiff

I'd need to get her snappy vest, but then it would cover the shirt,.. so maybe just a pencil skirt!

Who can enlighten me on the latin?

omarfeliciano

ksspiff wrote:I'd need to get her snappy vest, but then it would cover the shirt,.. so maybe just a pencil skirt!

Who can enlighten me on the latin?

Protecting the world from chaos!

tomspc

Re: Underpants Gnomes

Personally, I find this disturbing. The way the underwear has been drawn makes it look like little boy's underwear. Then you put what looks like "little boy's undies" on some bearded old man's head.

It's disturbing. No man in his right mind would put this shirt on.

tomspc

Good lord where is the rejectionator this week?

omarfeliciano

Radscoolian wrote:Good point, Omar. I wasn't really sure how to obfuscate the characters without killing the recognition, but if I took off the googly eyes it would probably still work.

Maybe that is a good way around! I like the design a lot! (specially because of Indy and Zoidberg). I just worry about the rejection

Anyway, good job as always. Good luck!

deesbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deesbar
Re: Loyal Order of Cookie

I need four of these; 3 for the grandkids and 1 for me! Please print!

helgram

quality posts: 1 Private Messages helgram

Thanks guys.
In the process of working on it, I kept thinking of a viable name for the secret group in question and got aboard the alliteration train. Thought I'd share some of that crazy with you; the following are the rejected names:

- "Merchants of Mythical Tomes"
- "League of Extraordinary Librarians"
- "Collectors of Curious Tracts"
- "Curators of Cryptic Codices"
- "Absurd Archivists Association"
- "Bizzare Book Club"
- "Purveyors of Peculiar Texts"
- "Fellowship of Fantastical Folios"
- "Sorority of Shadowy Scribes"
- "Seekers of Strange Treatises"

I felt that I got carried away and went with something simpler and less pompous. It was a fun exercise though ;)

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
tomspc wrote:Personally, I find this disturbing. The way the underwear has been drawn makes it look like little boy's underwear. Then you put what looks like "little boy's undies" on some bearded old man's head.

It's disturbing. No man in his right mind would put this shirt on.

Plenty of grown men wear tightie whities. I'm not one of them (boxers 4 evah) mind you, but I don't see what you do here.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

pineapplemice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pineapplemice

Shame it can't run, it's a nice design.

(Although obvious that it wouldn't.)

Re: The wheels are turning

prob001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prob001
tomspc wrote:Is it really a secret society? We all know who they are. Unless they don't know that we know, then they could possibly believe they're in a secret society...hmmm

We hide in plain sight...

tomspc

prob001 wrote:We hide in plain sight...

LOL, WITSEC

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

This is one of the best old skool nintendo designs I have seen... well done!

tomspc

bluetuba wrote:Plenty of grown men wear tightie whities. I'm not one of them (boxers 4 evah) mind you, but I don't see what you do here.

yes, men wear whitey tighties BUT these whitey tighties are outlined in yellow and green just like a little boys undies are. It still looks perv to me