WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

When is a video game reference not a video game reference? When it's a video game title reinterpreted! As with the past Derbies where we asked you to reinterpret TV show titles, artwork titles, band names, and movie quotes, this week your task is to take the literal sense of the words in a video game title and reinterpret, misinterpret, depict, or remix them into something new and unrelated.

Your entry should be titled "Inspired by (insert video game title here)", so the voters know what you're going for. And any wiseacre who literally titles an entry "Inspired by (insert video game title here)" will be pistol-whipped with an NES Zapper.

No text.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

it would be cooler if you had a "no video game characters" rule this week. Really push that imagination!

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

Donkey Kong as a donkey-shaped dog toy. Go ahead, artists.

I like this theme, because it requires a pop reference that can't be screamed at the audience due to the no text requirement. Thumbs up, woot... for now.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
benjaminleebates wrote:it would be cooler if you had a "no video game characters" rule this week. Really push that imagination!

Agree! Oh how I wished it said "No Mario" and "No Piranha Plant". Seen that done in too many derbies already.

Come on people do something ORIGINAL!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Mario and Luigi wearing capes and fighting crime!

Print it!

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
benjaminleebates wrote:it would be cooler if you had a "no video game characters" rule this week. Really push that imagination!

In theory that's the idea--create a design that someone who's never heard of the video game can look at the design and say the title. So including the video game's character wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

But in practice, you'll see a lot of submissions where one item is changed and understanding the rest of the design requires advanced knowledge of the subject. I think the rejectionator gets overwhelmed in that event.

So I'm predicting at least one design in the fog featuring a Triforce, even though there really shouldn't be on in this derby.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
kevlar51 wrote:In theory that's the idea--create a design that someone who's never heard of the video game can look at the design and say the title. So including the video game's character wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

But in practice, you'll see a lot of submissions where one item is changed and understanding the rest of the design requires advanced knowledge of the subject. I think the rejectionator gets overwhelmed in that event.

So I'm predicting at least one design in the fog featuring a Triforce, even though there really shouldn't be on in this derby.

What I am imagining an overload of, will be the juxtaposition of game elements and characters. In this light, the use of VG characters will dim the light of the REALLY creative entries...

rollelectric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollelectric
tomspc wrote:Agree! Oh how I wished it said "No Mario" and "No Piranha Plant". Seen that done in too many derbies already.

Come on people do something ORIGINAL!

Eh, if people wanted original then I'm sure the artists would comply.

I wonder what the limitations of the term "video game name" are. I mean there are Star Wars, Doctor Who, Princess Bride, and many other LCD-appealing video games.

lotsofgoats

Anything that goes from another medium to a video game shouldn't count. Should be a vidya game, proper. No movies/books/shows/Legos etc.

anonymose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anonymose
rollelectric wrote:Eh, if people wanted original then I'm sure the artists would comply.

I wonder what the limitations of the term "video game name" are. I mean there are Star Wars, Doctor Who, Princess Bride, and many other LCD-appealing video games.

I believe it's referring to the literal title of the game: "Super Mario Bros.", "Streets of Rage", "Goldenaxe", etc.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I'd like to see this re-submitted:

move along

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
j5 wrote:I'd like to see this re-submitted:

Ha! Thanks for doing the search for me before I started that idea!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Edit...nm. Stupid proxy.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

No cranberry tees, and the title rule is set in stone. We'll name these.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit
tgentry wrote:No cranberry tees, and the title rule is set in stone. We'll name these.

Thats a fun nuance! The winner's get to see what greatness the woot staff names it!

j5

oakenspirit wrote:Thats a fun nuance! The winner's get to see what greatness the woot staff names it!

??
Would they not just name it the same as the video game?

move along

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
j5 wrote:I'd like to see this re-submitted:

Thanks! I'd like to re-submit it...but it didn't do too well last time either :/

oh, and DIBS

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks! I'd like to re-submit it...but it didn't do too well last time either :/

oh, and DIBS

Definitely resubmit, it's great

SeedUvPain

tomspc wrote:Definitely resubmit, it's great

Thanks. I need to make significant changes I think before it gets accepted. I don't know what to do

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks! I'd like to re-submit it...but it didn't do too well last time either :/

oh, and DIBS

Son of a B. I was well into a really detailed Donkey Kong design around a similar concept (I imagine its been done several times) but I didnt know one had already been submitted to woot. Onto the next.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
j5 wrote:??
Would they not just name it the same as the video game?

I did a quick check, and they changed tv show titles and band names, too.

lotsofgoats

SeedUvPain wrote:I don't know what to do

Sneak a barrel into there somewhere.

j5

SeedUvPain wrote:Thanks. I need to make significant changes I think before it gets accepted. I don't know what to do

A: remove the text
B: recolor.
c: add a princess?
d: print.
e: I predict we will see a bunch of this one as it is an easy joke.

move along

lotsofgoats

Now I'm imagining a Space Invaders shirt where the space is personal. Gotta grid the invaders up correctly to get the point across without text.

Hmm... what else, what else.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

*edit* going to tinker more....

j5

lotsofgoats wrote:Hmm... what else, what else.

Rastafarian with a stick.

(waits for it)

move along

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
rasabi wrote:*edit* going to tinker more....

Yellow on navy, BTW.

j5

rasabi wrote:*edit* going to tinker more....

Another J5 quality buzzkill for those in the trenches:

move along

rasabi

j5 wrote:Another J5 quality buzzkill for those in the trenches:

There's also this one:

I'm trying to go for more of a mash-up angle on the concept... but I know there are only so many ways to represent two words :|

SeedUvPain

updated and hopefully changed enough to get past the rejectionator. Any further suggestion are welcome

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Really early sketch for entry: Kid Icarus
Does this read as a baby goat? I am thinking of doing a sun behind him, and some feathers falling. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome.

ste7enl

jessisima wrote:Really early sketch for entry: Kid Icarus
Does this read as a baby goat? I am thinking of doing a sun behind him, and some feathers falling. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome.

Reads pretty clear to me- fun little idea

j5

SeedUvPain wrote:updated and hopefully changed enough to get past the rejectionator. Any further suggestion are welcome

Personally, I don't like the barrel. It ties the design to the video game too much.

move along

ste7enl

SeedUvPain wrote:updated and hopefully changed enough to get past the rejectionator. Any further suggestion are welcome

is the top of the building off center? It's angering my OCD, but maybe im wrong and its just a visual trick

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

any way to stick in a mustachioed dude in red overalls and cap? mabe a window washer or pilot or something.

no1

j5 wrote:Personally, I don't like the barrel. It ties the design to the video game too much.

too much is never enough, especially when you're talking voterage.

no1

SeedUvPain wrote:Any further suggestion are welcome

any suggestion?

anatomically correct genitalia.

rasabi

Taking a break from it... maybe I'll change some stuffs tonight. Not sure:

no1

rasabi wrote:Taking a break from it... maybe I'll change some stuffs tonight. Not sure:

imma prolly way off base, but to me it looks less like a star-fox hybrid and more like a fox in a star-shaped stockade

thehookshot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehookshot
no1 wrote:imma prolly way off base, but to me it looks less like a star-fox hybrid and more like a fox in a star-shaped stockade

I'm happy I stopped my Star Fox design early. I feel this is going to be like Moby pencil the other week!