• 4.2% - Coffee 62
  • 30.9% - Blood 452
  • 24.7% - Ink 361
  • 8.5% - Red wine 124
  • 19.3% - Pig bile 283
  • 8.3% - The Dip (yup, that’s a WFRR reference) 122
  • 4.1% - Other (comments) 60
1464 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

jesssup

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jesssup

I'd say bleach stains are among the worst because bleach removes color. Bleach is funny like that.

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

I have to say that "Mud Tires" in the underwear have to be top cat here

midori4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midori4

Is the blood mine? That makes a huge difference!

fiockthis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fiockthis
jesssup wrote:I'd say bleach stains are among the worst because bleach removes color. Bleach is funny like that.

I have to totally agree. Bleach is the worst. No mistaking it.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Bleach is the worst damage, but it's not really a stain.

I'd say...petroleum based sealants are some of the most difficult to remove. anything that works into the fabric and is also oily...just tough to remove without damaging the material.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:anything that works into the fabric and is also oily...just tough to remove without damaging the material.

Yep. The backs of my shirts are replete with stains from my hair products.

move along

FrostByte

quality posts: 14 Private Messages FrostByte

Pit stains.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

FrostByte wrote:Pit stains.

Actually, pit stains can be removed! I have a very nice button up shirt that's 14 years old. I love it and it means a lot to me. But, over the years of hard, layered, sweaty wear, it accumulated a yellow ring in the armpits and a permanent vague scent of b.o. there. I whined to my mother about this and she laughed and ordered me to bring the shirt over. She taught me to: wet the affected area; create a thick paste of oxyclean and water; coat the affected area, inside and out, with the oxyclean paste; let sit for at least 10 hours, then throw into the washing machine and wash like normal. And, omgwtfbbq, it was like a brand new shirt!

I have learned so many stain solutions from my mother (i.e. I watch her while she does it for me); she is a stain-removing goddess. She gets ink stains out with hairspray. Blood out with hydrogen peroxide and cold water. She got an 8 yr old red wine stain out of a camel skirt with... actually, I have no idea, I think that one was magic. She can remove pretty much anything so long as it hasn't been through a dryer or hot wash--heat sets the stain. Note from goldenthorn's mother: never put your good clothing in the dryer--only hang dry!--and wash everything on cold water settings.

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb

Anything with cooking oil or other oily substances. All the other stains listed I can get our of fabric, but cooking oil is a 50/50 chance for me.

jjkehoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjkehoe

I got red wax on my favorite sweatshirt. Haven't been able to get the stain out. Stupid wax.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

*puts oxyclean and peroxide on shopping list*

07/11/14

lissisa2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lissisa2003

Coomassie Blue, even on a blue shirt, it dries kinda reddish. I get to play with the fun chemicals.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Bananas are a decent pain to get out.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
melb wrote:Anything with cooking oil or other oily substances. All the other stains listed I can get our of fabric, but cooking oil is a 50/50 chance for me.

Yep. Grease stains are the worst. They always leave a darker spot that won't come out, ever.

surferdude1063

quality posts: 0 Private Messages surferdude1063

Blood is mad easy to get out. Some dial soup and peroxide and it comes right out.

Harris Schmerling

GAnsok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GAnsok

Sulfuric or other strong acids are pretty bad, too. I have a shirt with a (small) hole in it from chem lab.

But that's still not as bad as bleach.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Doggie diarrhea.

tyford2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyford2
RWoodward wrote:Yep. Grease stains are the worst. They always leave a darker spot that won't come out, ever.

Squirt dish washing liquid on the stain and let it sit and absorb for 30min-1hr, then wash regularly. The stain should come out.

mamayo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamayo

chocolate!

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

From what I hear, blood.

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say!

d0ct3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d0ct3r

I would have to say cooking oil or anything like that.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
tyford2 wrote:Squirt dish washing liquid on the stain and let it sit and absorb for 30min-1hr, then wash regularly. The stain should come out.

Baking soda also helps

happyapple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happyapple

Another solution for blood stains, even older ones: meat tenderizer. I make a paste of it with a little water, put it on the stain for a while, and then throw it in with the regular wash. Older stains that have been through the dryer a few times may take several attempts, but they will eventually come out.

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

Waddams Threatens Fire is WFRR?

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
bblhed wrote:Waddams Threatens Fire is WFRR?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The DIP would melt the cartoon characters and they were terrified of it. Very old reference from 1988.

And, yes, I had to look it up because I had no idea at first either.

07/11/14

bamandi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bamandi

Iodine; that will stain your skin for days.

wiretap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wiretap

Activated contamination from a neutron beam. Takes forever to decay. =/

imallheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imallheart

"WISK" is the answer. Gets out almost all greasy stains. Put on as soon as you can and let sit in a few minutes before washing in as hot water as allowable. Once grease stain goes in dryer and bakes in, really hard to get out, but WISK even does sometimes after that. Mama knew her stains!

Mavyn wrote:Bleach is the worst damage, but it's not really a stain.

I'd say...petroleum based sealants are some of the most difficult to remove. anything that works into the fabric and is also oily...just tough to remove without damaging the material.

imallheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imallheart

I keep two things and gets out 99% of my stains...one is ERA, it gets out blood, dirt, wine (unless you have "Wine-away", which is a miracle for wine stains!) and anything that isn't a greasy stain. The other is "WISK" which gets out anything oily or greasy, such as cooking oil stuff, body oils such as "ring around the collar", car grease, etc. My hardest is ink. I've tried hairspray, but that's a pain to work with. Someone told me "shaving cream" for ink. Have to try that. ERA & WISK are staples in my house. My mama is 85 and those are the only two things she has used her whole life. I guess she knows something?!

chiobio

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chiobio

I have this really nice button up shirt that I got from a thrift shop a couple of years ago when I dressed up as a zombie (from PvsZ) for Halloween. I like it a lot and I know I would wear it, but it got stained with face paint. Any suggestions about how to get rid of the stain? (Setting it on fire would be a good solution, but I want to wear the shirt)

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca

Any stain that could be used as evidence against you in a court of law is probably pretty bad.

klarno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klarno

I've had good luck with Shout getting out most stains, especially grease, and even blood (good idea to hit blood with hydrogen peroxide first, though).

The worst are ink (especially inks that are only soluble in organic solvents like xylene; i lost a couple shirts in the wash because I forgot to take a sharpie out of one of the pockets) and set-in deodorant stains.

meecehead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meecehead

Coffee is the worst kind of stain because it means I spilled my coffee.

myzsixpence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myzsixpence

Meh. Blood comes out with cold water and soap.

The stains that get left by the chili oil from dan dan noodles are nasty because they're ultra-permanent. But real, *authentic* dan dan noodles are irresistible. It's so unfair.

katy719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katy719

I think the worst kind of stain is the kind that actually doesn't come off. Now, you can get off most "stains" without too much trouble.