tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Just a little plug for our daily art submission page.

Send whatever you have. Even if we don't think it's quite right for a daily, we might want to debut it in a PLUS sale under our D contract. There's no up front payout, but you'd get paid $2 for every product sold. It would also appear permanently in the Digital Catalog and could reappear in future PLUS sales on multiple products. If you're interested in the D contract as a Plan B to a daily print, feel free to mention that with your submission.

I've been thinking it would be great to run an entire PLUS sale devoted to nothing but weird, offbeat stuff. If you have something that fits the bill, and are OK with a D contract, send it in! Maybe we can put something together.

For dailies, you can't go wrong with anything sciencey, slogany, or cute. Spring's coming up, so now's a great time to start getting those in. We're also on the lookout for Mothers/Fathers day designs, pets, music...

And since I've created this thread, how about some ideas for future PLUS sales? Who would you like to see curate their own PLUS sale?

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

recently sent something sciencey ^^

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

In light of Fable's meat bunnies, I posted a question on d.w. a couple days ago; my idea - sequels and threequels.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

This isn't the right time of the year for it, but a calendar with a different design each month would be pretty sweet. Maybe next year?

I thought the penguins vs. bunnies side sale was pretty cool. There are a lot of other things that could battle for supremacy...

Narfcake

ochopika wrote:... There are a lot of other things that could battle for supremacy...

Turtles and bunnies? Include ones working together in perfect harmony; exclude ones drawn by "her".

Cake and pie? Just don't forget that pi day is coming (reminder courtesy of this post.)

Do we have enough designs for a (fake) collegiate side sale?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

The purple side sale was awesome. I vote for more with colors outside the usual spectrum.

A 'collab' side sale would be fun.

A 'first print' side sale would be fun.

A 'so close' sale for all those artists that consistently hit the fog but have never won, perhaps?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Narfcake wrote:Turtles and bunnies? Include ones working together in perfect harmony; exclude ones drawn by "her".

Why would that matter?

move along

Narfcake

j5 wrote:Why would that matter?

The side sales still bring higher numbers than the catalog in a given week.

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero

can we resub rejected designs that have already been subbed as dailies ?

Narfcake

With the C-contracts from the first MoH expiring in a month, perhaps offering some of them that were not reprinted in a different sale again?

Mentions of Honor: Buy Our Favorite Derby Losers

lonelypond

quality posts: 449 Private Messages lonelypond
Mavyn wrote:The purple side sale was awesome. I vote for more with colors outside the usual spectrum.

A 'collab' side sale would be fun.

A 'first print' side sale would be fun.

A 'so close' sale for all those artists that consistently hit the fog but have never won, perhaps?

All these good.

Orange and/or heather grey, weather, dance, robots redux, cold blooded critters...

Like the offbeat idea, considering..

Narfcake

Mavyn wrote:The purple side sale was awesome. I vote for more with colors outside the usual spectrum. ...

I would love a Purplepalooza II, but only if it remains on Eggplant blanks.

Anvil has since added new standard colors to all three product lines (980/880/990B) and I'm thinking it's moreso because of Threadless (and not Woot) that prompted the added product offerings since they're supplying their new blanks too.

Anyways, here is the old comparison table versus a
new comparison table: AA Colors to Anvil Colors
Black = Black
White = White
Silver = Silver (3)
Slate = Storm Gray (3)
Asphalt = Smoke (3) (4)
Brown = Chocolate
Navy = Navy
Royal = Royal
Baby Blue = Light Blue
Olive = City Green (3)
Kelly = Kelly (3)
Grass = Green Apple
Red = Red
Cranberry = Independence Red (2) (3)
Lemon = Spring Yellow (3)
Creme = Natural (1) (2) (3)
Orange = Orange
Pink = Charity Pink (1) (3)
Eggplant = none (5)

1 - not a standard 980 color, but is a color in other products.
2 - not a standard 880 color
3 - not a standard 990B color
4 - will Charcoal replace this? The current Smoke is noticably darker than the old AA Asphalt color; Charcoal is a standard color in all three product lines now.
5 - Anvil's purple is not as deep as a shade as AA's eggplant, hence it's not an equivalent.

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
Narfcake wrote:
Anvil has since added new standard colors to all three product lines (980/880/990B) and I'm thinking it's moreso because of Threadless ...

Narfcake are you talking about the new redesigned Threadless shirts? I hadn't realised they were Anvil and find the cut and fabric quite good.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Travis, can you comment on submitting old derby entries as dailies? For example, the Crest Of Awesome surprised me, as it didn't do so well in the derby despite its copious amounts of awesomeness.

Narfcake

PixelPants wrote:Narfcake are you talking about the new redesigned Threadless shirts? I hadn't realised they were Anvil and find the cut and fabric quite good.

With the cyan banding - yes. Are they being manufactured to completely different specifications versus the 980s, I'm not sure.

I do know my last shirt (possibly pre-production since it's made in the USA) suffers from the same neckhole stretchouteousness as the Woot/Anvil shirts.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Dragons!

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh

I second the dragons!

My idea for a plus sale is "Celebrate Your Uniqueness", or something to that effect (I had a better name last night at 3am, but sadly I can't remember it now). Celebrating those who do their own thing, or don't quite fit in, the sale would feature designs such as:

You Have to Try This, Guys

Acquired Taste

The Chemisty (in an apron, pretty pretty please?)

Not Like the Others

One in Every Group

Other possibilities for designs could be Click or Treat, Cooler Than You, Odd Bear Out, Computer Mice, Someone's Lucky Day, etc.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
tgentry wrote:Just a little plug for our daily art submission page.

Send whatever you have. Even if we don't think it's quite right for a daily, we might want to debut it in a PLUS sale under our D contract. There's no up front payout, but you'd get paid $2 for every product sold. It would also appear permanently in the Digital Catalog and could reappear in future PLUS sales on multiple products. If you're interested in the D contract as a Plan B to a daily print, feel free to mention that with your submission.

I've been thinking it would be great to run an entire PLUS sale devoted to nothing but weird, offbeat stuff. If you have something that fits the bill, and are OK with a D contract, send it in! Maybe we can put something together.

For dailies, you can't go wrong with anything sciencey, slogany, or cute. Spring's coming up, so now's a great time to start getting those in. We're also on the lookout for Mothers/Fathers day designs, pets, music...

And since I've created this thread, how about some ideas for future PLUS sales? Who would you like to see curate their own PLUS sale?

GOT IT!
So starting with "A," do a weekly PLUS sale with an animal or several animal types that begin with that week's letter!
People can even start subbing for dailies anticipating upcoming letters!
WHATCHA think?

tsukitensh

benjaminleebates wrote:GOT IT!
So starting with "A," do a weekly PLUS sale with an animal or several animal types that begin with that week's letter!
WHATCHA think?

I think that would be difficult given that some letters would have far, far too many options to choose from (C for example. Have you seen the number of cat shirts woot offers? Not to mention crows, cows, chickens, etc.)... while others would be very difficult to gather enough designs for.

It would also mean months of animal plus sales. Personally, I like the diversity of themes these sales offer. I also get excited to find out the new themes each week, so predictability isn't necessarily a plus (no pun intended).

benjaminleebates

tsukitensh wrote:I think that would be difficult given that some letters would have far, far too many options to choose from (C for example. Have you seen the number of cat shirts woot offers? Not to mention crows, cows, chickens, etc.)... while others would be very difficult to gather enough designs for.

It would also mean months of animal plus sales. Personally, I like the diversity of themes these sales offer. I also get excited to find out the new themes each week, so predictability isn't necessarily a plus (no pun intended).

I think you could do the animal letter thing biweekly, and pick unique animals for the letters. NOT C for cats, but rather crow or cow.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle
benjaminleebates wrote:GOT IT!
WHATCHA think?

I like the idea of doing alphabetical plus sales, but I don't think animals would be good for every week (unless that was indeed the A, followed by perhaps Bandwidth - any sort of internet theme such as 1971-Floppy diskette or Outrage). But with different subjects for each letter, I think that would be cool. Maybe Quirky shirts (like the odd ones out listed above), Video Game references, Honorable Mentions, Ninjas, Sci-fi and Xenobiology (for Q, V, H, N, S and X)!

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

tsukitensh

benjaminleebates wrote:I think you could do the animal letter thing biweekly, and pick unique animals for the letters. NOT C for cats, but rather crow or cow.

If you are using animals, that still leaves the problem of letters with only one or two- or possibly zero- applicable designs. And since woot usually does two plus sales a week, making it biweekly would increase what I said before about predictability, not to mention being overrun with animal designs.

Arryielle - I like that idea. Although still being alphabetic, there is no way to know what the theme will be, and except for letters like X, there would be too many possibilities to even guess a likely theme. Keeps the surprise AND design diversity.

benjaminleebates

tsukitensh wrote:If you are using animals, that still leaves the problem of letters with only one or two- or possibly zero- applicable designs. And since woot usually does two plus sales a week, making it biweekly would increase what I said before about predictability, not to mention being overrun with animal designs.

Arryielle - I like that idea. Although still being alphabetic, there is no way to know what the theme will be, and except for letters like X, there would be too many possibilities to even guess a likely theme. Keeps the surprise AND design diversity.

I concede your point.
Any subject will do, but to keep it fun, really stretch that imagination with what the letter represents; don't just cop out with N is for ninjas and P is for pirates. But rather N is for Nuts and P is for Pythagorus; just examples of something wacky.

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff

So I just submitted a few ideas to the daily over the weekend and I was wondering about how many subs you typically get a day and the average time an artist will have to wait for a response?