PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

fanickel wrote:And just what language is "vulpa" supposed to be?

vulpanese. obviously.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565

Only valid excuse/fable I could possibly come up with on these two VERY similar shirts is, the two artist must be twins that were separated at birth.... if this shirt was not previously viewed by the second artist.

midnightnerfherder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midnightnerfherder

Indo-European; it [obviously] means fox. It's also a nice web font likely called vulpa because of the "foxtail" terminals. :-)

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

I would assume it's derived from the Latin word for fox, "vulpes". It's also where we get the name for the scientific genus under which foxes are classified (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulpes) and probably where the pokemon name "vulpix" comes from.

I think the whole "vulpa major" is a play off the canis major star constellation which is Latin for "greater dog", substitute the Latin word for "fox" in place of the Latin word for "dog", and viola, "vulpa major". Works for me.

I don't see why it's so difficult to fathom that this t-shirt was designed without "ripping" the idea off of that other t-shirt. I mean it's not like the idea of a "falling star" could be visualized as a star falls because another mischievous star cut it's line is so exotic and original. I think the execution between the two different shirts is quite different enough.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
safyrejet wrote:I would assume it's derived from the Latin word for fox, "vulpes". It's also where we get the name for the scientific genus under which foxes are classified (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulpes) and probably where the pokemon name "vulpix" comes from.

I think the whole "vulpa major" is a play off the canis major star constellation which is Latin for "greater dog", substitute the Latin word for "fox" in place of the Latin word for "dog", and viola, "vulpa major". Works for me.

I don't see why it's so difficult to fathom that this t-shirt was designed without "ripping" the idea off of that other t-shirt. I mean it's not like the idea of a "falling star" could be visualized as a star falls because another mischievous star cut it's line is so exotic and original. I think the execution between the two different shirts is quite different enough.

I personally couldn't care less but let's be realistic... seriously, down to the wire it is a different version of the same design. Plenty of artwork out here is "inspired" by other artist work,,,,, just give credit where credit is due.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Fable and I worked on this shirt together, to an extent. Neither of us realized this 'similar shirt' existed.

The origin of the idea was a stage play, little foxes in costumes putting on a show. It was less about the one falling, and more about the foxes themselves. She did not draw the one falling first, it sort of came into the design to flesh it out, give it more character. The falling fox was added and eventually, it developed into the mobile-like representation. Then when looking at moving it from 3 foxes to 5, we suddenly went "Should there be one holding scissors? Yessssssss." It fits the stage play atmosphere and tells an amusing story. But it is not pivotal to the design, as it's not about falling stars, but rather the little Star Foxies putting on a skit.

Sorry that another shirt used that element, but I don't really know what more to say as it wasn't referenced in the least. ^_^; I promise.

In any case, in for two, and I'll be sure to spread it to as many people as possible when I get the chance. :D Woo, advertising!

TL;DR It's comedy 101, different execution, thank you for caring about the other artist but it's by no means ripped or even inspired by that design.

Small edit of chronological clarity, sorry, out and about at a convention right now.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

whyaylooh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyaylooh
tsukitensh wrote:If this didn't have the falling fox, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. He looks so scared

For what it's worth (since only people who disagree with you seem to be chiming in) I agree. Almost went for one, but just couldn't wear a frightened li'l fox. More power to folks who can. ;)

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 1m 26.337s
First Sucker: maoie
Last Wooter to Woot: Kitreiki
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 40% of Shirt Woots
Top 40% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 968

First day sales 968
First day posts 46

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Got my shirt in today, and the foxes are pleasantly large! The design takes up most of the shirt and it looks great!

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Got my shirt in today, and the foxes are pleasantly large! The design takes up most of the shirt and it looks great!

Agreed, I got mine in and it looks fantastic! I'm glad to see the design occupying so much T-shirt space. The foxy stars are even cuter in real life.