dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: The Master

This breaks the text only rule. Take away the text and what do you have?? I don't care what your excuses are, if woot can't see that, there really is no hope.

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: Time Travel Champ

I guess when some shirt designers reach a certain level, the rules don't apply to them anymore. Very disappointed Boots. I'd expect this from others, but not from you. Put some design and effort into the shirt for crying out loud. If you take the text out of this there is nothing.

auldzalt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auldzalt
taternuggets wrote:I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at.

Robert Heinlein's attempt to tie his disparate universes into one cosmology. The novel: The Number of the Beast. Not terribly bad. My understanding is that he wrote it to pay off some rather large medical bills. His follow up books were superior .

psychog33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psychog33
Re: Far And Beyond

Voted!! To those that think they can not vote....You need to have purchased a t shirt from woot to be allowed to vote!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: The Encounter

Thanks guys! I'm always trying new styles and I really like the results in this one.

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
psychog33 wrote:Voted!! To those that think they can not vote....You need to have purchased a t shirt from woot to be allowed to vote!

Any purchase from Woot will allow you to vote, doesn't have to be a t-shirt

tomspc

Re: Sands of Time

I like it! Nice job.

tomspc

Re: Going where they'll treat me right.

I wish I could put my cat in a time machine

mom2kate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mom2kate
Re: History Lesson

I really like this style and I definitely want one.

tomspc

Re: time traveller

I thought this was a Lyoncc shirt.

tomspc

tomspc

dmaz wrote:This breaks the text only rule. Take away the text and what do you have?? I don't care what your excuses are, if woot can't see that, there really is no hope.

My experience in here is that ALL of the rules are bendable and breakable. Woot chooses who can get away with it and who can't. Watch closely and you'll see a trend.

tomspc

Re: PrevEx

clever

tomspc

Re: The Origin of the Philosoraptor

why does this shirt look familiar?

tomspc

Re: Time Traveling JC Goes to a Rave

WWJD? go to a rave? really?

tomspc

Nice. Also, congrats on your shirt on Ript Apparel today. I like it.

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

Thank you guys for your comments!

wersns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wersns

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Is there anything that doesn't look familiar to you Tomspc? Surprise me...

omarfeliciano

Re: TAKE THAT, HITLER!

Lol, I chuckled with this one! Funny!

tomspc

wirdou wrote:Is there anything that doesn't look familiar to you Tomspc? Surprise me...

lol

edit: I do like the design

tomspc

Re: TAKE THAT, HITLER!

LOL that is funny

amschmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amschmidt
Re: Time Turner

This is great! So elegant! I'd buy 3!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
dmaz wrote:I guess when some shirt designers reach a certain level, the rules don't apply to them anymore. Very disappointed Boots. I'd expect this from others, but not from you. Put some design and effort into the shirt for crying out loud. If you take the text out of this there is nothing.

dmaz! I would never not follow the rules! I'm a stickler for rules (in an almost unhealthy anal way).

The rule this time is just "no text only designs." The text can still be the main part of the design, there just has to be some graphical elements, too (it doesn't have to be complex imagery or anything, just some extra designy stuff). It's different from the "incidental text only" rule, which means if you remove the text you'd still have a solid design.

I think this rule is just in place to keep people from slapping a typeface on a shirt and calling it a day (based on past rejections, it seems pretty clear). There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based. Sometimes putting them together is harder than it looks (OdysseyRoc always does a great job with graphic text).

I'm not saying that I've never phoned in a design, but I really did put a lot of effort into this one. It was hard to get the joke to "read" in the best possible way, hard to make the design look graphic even though it's just text, hard to make it look slightly futuristic without looking too cheesy, and stuff... Could this design have been better? I'm sure all of my work could be better, this one included, but not for lack of effort (this time). Oh! I didn't put much effort into this one. It was a nice day, and I really wanted to finish it so I could go to the park. I will admit it. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, though.

I do appreciate you bringing your rule-following hammer down, though! It irks me to no end when I see someone trying to skirt the rules, so carry on (my wayward son?)!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
BootsBoots wrote:

There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based. Sometimes putting them together is harder than it looks (OdysseyRoc always does a great job with graphic text).

I just want to second this sentiment. It takes me longer to select and design for text than it does to illustrate. I put so much thought into the type used and the best layout for it. Readability and wearability is a huge factor when you design with text. Searching for just the right type sometimes takes much longer than you would think. It may look simplistic, but that's intentional. And I agree, OdysseyRoc is great at text! Boots is ok at it too. ;)

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
BootsBoots wrote:dmaz! I would never not follow the rules! I'm a stickler for rules (in an almost unhealthy anal way).

The rule this time is just "no text only designs." The text can still be the main part of the design, there just has to be some graphical elements, too (it doesn't have to be complex imagery or anything, just some extra designy stuff). It's different from the "incidental text only" rule, which means if you remove the text you'd still have a solid design.

I think this rule is just in place to keep people from slapping a typeface on a shirt and calling it a day (based on past rejections, it seems pretty clear). There's a lot of "design" that can go into a design that's text-based. Sometimes putting them together is harder than it looks (OdysseyRoc always does a great job with graphic text).

I'm not saying that I've never phoned in a design, but I really did put a lot of effort into this one. It was hard to get the joke to "read" in the best possible way, hard to make the design look graphic even though it's just text, hard to make it look slightly futuristic without looking too cheesy, and stuff... Could this design have been better? I'm sure all of my work could be better, this one included, but not for lack of effort (this time). Oh! I didn't put much effort into this one. It was a nice day, and I really wanted to finish it so I could go to the park. I will admit it. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, though.

I do appreciate you bringing your rule-following hammer down, though! It irks me to no end when I see someone trying to skirt the rules, so carry on (my wayward son?)!

Great post, Jamie! there's a lot more that goes into GOOD graphic design than most people realize.

Also, great work on this design. +1 from me

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
taternuggets wrote:There are a few artists I will normally vote for (unless I hate their entry) because of the comradery we have developed at woot. But it certainly isn't a sure thing.

See, this is the part that sucks. Firstly for other artists who have the same concerns as new artists (who I do hope will stay), and secondly for woot. That button says "I'd want one" for a reason. More clearly, it means "I'd buy one". If you're voting shirts into the fog and then not buying them when they print, that's pretty crappy.

lotsofgoats

Also in regards to the above conversation, it's irrelevant how much design goes into text when there's a "no text only" rule. We can all appreciate how difficult a good graphic design, but text is still text.

woot does seem to be as strictly "no text only" as they are "no cats allowed" though, so I wouldn't worry about the rejectionator too much.

flemtone

quality posts: 7 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Timerannosaurus

This....is wonderful. Such a refreshing change from the usual entries. Great for a Saturday morning, watching cartoons and eating a big bowl of Cap'n Crunch. GMV for sure.

flemtone

Re: Time Traveling JC Goes to a Rave

This has a lot of Bil Watterson's 'Calvin and Hobbes' style. Very well done.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
lotsofgoats wrote:See, this is the part that sucks. Firstly for other artists who have the same concerns as new artists (who I do hope will stay), and secondly for woot. That button says "I'd want one" for a reason. More clearly, it means "I'd buy one". If you're voting shirts into the fog and then not buying them when they print, that's pretty crappy.

I don't know where you got the idea that I vote for shirts I wouldn't want. I also don't know why you would think "I'd want one" is a commitment to buy one. I might want ten shirts, but if they all printed, I wouldn't be able to buy them all. You basically missed the point of what I was saying perhaps because of the inarticulate way I explained it. I was three sheets to the wind when I wrote that. The bottom line is a popular artist that often prints is going to have more trouble getting a vote out of me than a new artist that doesn't spend every derby in the fog. If the artist is a friend of mine, they might still get the vote even though they are my competition.

Nothing follows.

flemtone

Re: The Gay Deceiver

Funny - I'm just now re-reading TNOTB and, when seeing the thumbnail for this design, said to myself "nooooo...."!

Pleasantly surprised! Well played. Not RAH's best by any means, but a fun read.

omarfeliciano

Re: Future Me Visit

I need a time machine like this to do exactly the same

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: Sands of Time

your works are always beautiful

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
tomspc wrote:I thought this was a Lyoncc shirt.

Naw, Kharma perfected this style long ago.

kharmazero

evilaelf wrote:Love the colors! Very pretty :D

thanks a lot

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tomspc wrote:My experience in here is that ALL of the rules are bendable and breakable. Woot chooses who can get away with it and who can't. Watch closely and you'll see a trend.

Someone misunderstanding the rules does not make someone else's design in violation of them.
Designs with a high probability of printing do get a little leeway, but then so do designs with a very low probability of printing. The trend I see is Friday at 3PM CST rejectionator first pass, then Monday around noon, then maybe Tuesday as needed. Some things get missed and some things get a pass, but that's the only trend I see.
There isn't really a clique, other than the general "play nice, don't be critical of other designers, Woot or the process, don't complain about injustice (perceived or real)".

move along

lotsofgoats

taternuggets wrote:I also don't know why you would think "I'd want one" is a commitment to buy one.

That has something to do with the fact that this is a site that sells the winning shirt designs. It's not a contract, no, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that a vote for a winner followed up by no purchase was one submitted with integrity.

kharmazero

orabbit wrote:Naw, Kharma perfected this style long ago.

i like you ORabbit ;-))
thanks

kharmazero

very beautiful work as usual should i say ;-))