WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We like our information like we like the adult content in our movies: strongly graphic. This week, we're returning to the theme of one of our earliest Derbies, Derby #16: Information Graphics, to coax you into showing us that chart, graph, diagram, or cutaway deep inside your soul. Now go pretty up some factoids!

No Cranberry tees.

No shirts about procrastination or Schrödinger's cat. We get it.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Weiiiird. I just submitted an infographic daily last night.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Pi charts! Woot!

move along

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Someone needs to make a phi chart. Those damn pi's get all the glory.

And I'm glad there's no ban on text.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

If anyone can post some graphs of the best performing designs from the last derby that would be useful.

Henroid88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Henroid88
rasabi wrote:Weiiiird. I just submitted an infographic daily last night.

If you want to submit a daily design do you need to be hired by woot first or can you just send them designs?

j5

Henroid88 wrote:If you want to submit a daily design do you need to be hired by woot first or can you just send them designs?

Send them in. Submission link on the front page.

move along

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

good rules. :D

and what an interesting theme

*thinks about it...*

I got nothing >_<

Henroid88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Henroid88
j5 wrote:Send them in. Submission link on the front page.

Thank you!

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
WootBot wrote:No Schrödinger's cat

ಥ⌣ಥ

jmf1081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmf1081
PixelPants wrote:If anyone can post some graphs of the best performing designs from the last derby that would be useful.

I was going to say this:
Step one: click link in description.
Step 2: sort by vote.
Step C: tada

Then I realized you were making a joke.

kyrn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyrn
jmf1081 wrote:I was going to say this:
Step one: click link in description.
Step 2: sort by vote.
Step C: tada

Then I realized you were making a joke.

That was one of my first ideas too. Would it get rejected for being too much of an in-joke?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Woot shirts are rejected.

And, dibs on 'pie chart showing how much of the internet is cats'.

Looking like a fat round cat, of course.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

Mavyn wrote:
And, dibs on 'pie chart showing how much of the internet is cats'.

Blast!
Scraps design.

move along

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:Blast!
Scraps design.

imma waiting for your collab with taternugs.

j5

no1 wrote:imma waiting for your collab with taternugs.

Me too

move along

beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

Here's mine. Which spelling do you guys prefer? General thoughts also welcome

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
beware1984 wrote:Here's mine. Which spelling do you guys prefer? General thoughts also welcome

Couple of things, one that's probably not the type of info graphic Woot was going for with this theme. Two, it'll get rejected for the IKEA man, I used him in an old design and it was rejected for that reason.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:Me too

*cough* oh hey there... was that today?

Nothing follows.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
j5 wrote:Me too

taternuggets wrote:*cough* oh hey there... was that today?

Have fun boys. Play nice.

beware1984

tjost wrote:Couple of things, one that's probably not the type of info graphic Woot was going for with this theme. Two, it'll get rejected for the IKEA man, I used him in an old design and it was rejected for that reason.

Damn really? I don't even think he is a copyrighted icon? I guess I'll just sub and hope for the best, but I appreciate the heads up. I'll make a back up design just in case.

(edit) Upon search I can't find anything in the US patent database nor can I find any image where it is marked with a "c" or "r" for copyright or registered trademark. It has also been parodied numerous times (like here http://www.collegehumor.com/article/6340023/if-ikea-made-instructions-for-everything and here http://theyetee.tumblr.com/post/37172597167/bluboks-by-nik-holmes for example) so I'd say it's probably safe for use, but that is of course just my opinion.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

"No Schrödinger's cat"?? Well that eliminates about half of the entries. Too bad it wasn't "No cats".

kyrn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyrn
beware1984 wrote:Damn really? I don't even think he is a copyrighted icon? I guess I'll just sub and hope for the best, but I appreciate the heads up. I'll make a back up design just in case.

(edit) Upon search I can't find anything in the US patent database nor can I find any image where it is marked with a "c" or "r" for copyright or registered trademark. It has also been parodied numerous times (like here http://www.collegehumor.com/article/6340023/if-ikea-made-instructions-for-everything and here http://theyetee.tumblr.com/post/37172597167/bluboks-by-nik-holmes for example) so I'd say it's probably safe for use, but that is of course just my opinion.

I think we'd still get the idea if you changed the figure to be more generic.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
Mavyn wrote:And, dibs on 'pie chart showing how much of the internet is cats'.

HOW FRESH AND ORIGINAL I WISH YOU THE BEST OF SUCCESS

Re: the IKEA graphic, that's totally within the scope of the theme. Go back and look at the old derby if you're not sure.

j5

lotsofgoats wrote:HOW FRESH AND ORIGINAL I WISH YOU THE BEST OF SUCCESS

Re: the IKEA graphic, that's totally within the scope of the theme. Go back and look at the old derby if you're not sure.

protip: Mavyn isn't a submitter. That was sarcasm.

I agree with you on the other thing.

move along

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy

My idea: "Things that Annoy Me"
From 1-10 including spilling coffee and mario party.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Man, it's always a blast when you spend a couple of hours working on a design, think you're so witty, and then decide to look it up and realize that the idea has been done. To death. Ugh.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
tjschaeffer wrote:Man, it's always a blast when you spend a couple of hours working on a design, think you're so witty, and then decide to look it up and realize that the idea has been done. To death. Ugh.

Lesson learned. Do the research RED STAPLER!

edit - oh, that wacky filter.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Thirdbase9

I guess I'll work on my Schrödinger's cat design next week.

I don't know.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got:

know your bones by Ape Lad, on Flickr

tjost

beware1984 wrote:Damn really? I don't even think he is a copyrighted icon? I guess I'll just sub and hope for the best, but I appreciate the heads up. I'll make a back up design just in case.

An item doesn't have to be registered to be copyrighted or have a little c next to it to be protected. The man is copyrighted and Woot has the precedence of rejecting him.

I n the case of college humor they also weren't selling the graphic or licencing it, as for the Yetee, if IKEA wanted to get nasty they could. The thing with once a day shirt sites is though that by the time a companies legal team has really gathered steam on something they already have the next item up for sale so a cease and desist doesn't do much when they already stopped selling it, and correct me if I'm wrong but the way the millennium digital copyright act works is a cease and desist is required first for items sold on the internet in breach of copyright giving such sites a lot of protection right or wrong.

You can post it but Woot has discretion on what it prints and they've been clear on it in the past so prepare for rejection. Just trying to help.

beware1984

tjost wrote:An item doesn't have to be registered to be copyrighted or have a little c next to it to be protected. The man is copyrighted and Woot has the precedence of rejecting him.

I n the case of college humor they also weren't selling the graphic or licencing it, as for the Yetee, if IKEA wanted to get nasty they could. The thing with once a day shirt sites is though that by the time a companies legal team has really gathered steam on something they already have the next item up for sale so a cease and desist doesn't do much when they already stopped selling it, and correct me if I'm wrong but the way the millennium digital copyright act works is a cease and desist is required first for items sold on the internet in breach of copyright giving such sites a lot of protection right or wrong.

You can post it but Woot has discretion on what it prints and they've been clear on it in the past so prepare for rejection. Just trying to help.

I totally get it and I truly do appreciate it. I'm going to submit it with the assumption that it will be rejected. I've already made a second design as a back up so no harm no foul.

tjost

beware1984 wrote:I totally get it and I truly do appreciate it. I'm going to submit it with the assumption that it will be rejected. I've already made a second design as a back up so no harm no foul.

Cool deal hope the second one does good

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy

I'm doing an infographic on how Mario Party ruins friendships.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
orabbit wrote:Lesson learned. Do the research RED STAPLER!

edit - oh, that wacky filter.

I'll probably submit it anyway and let woot make the decision of whether to reject. I've looked through what's been done again and see that the design is slightly different from what's been done before. So I'll see how it goes...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit
tjschaeffer wrote:I'll probably submit it anyway and let woot make the decision of whether to reject. I've looked through what's been done again and see that the design is slightly different from what's been done before. So I'll see how it goes...

Sad thing is, you are likely ONE of three people submitting your idea in this derby- I am likely the second...

;)

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got:

Oh, heavens - this is incredible. Adam Koford: Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenius.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I have this, but can't decide on the copy. Can you guys help?

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
omarfeliciano wrote:I have this, but can't decide on the copy. Can you guys help?

At first glance, I liked the "problems" version BUT "trouble brewing" sold me on the "trouble" version.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got:

This is so rad!