WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever purchased original artwork (paintings, sculpture, drawings, prints, etc.)?
  • 4.7% - My house is packed with it! I'm a modern-day Medici! 50
  • 33.4% - A few tastefully chosen pieces 354
  • 17% - Only when it was made by personal friends 180
  • 11.6% - This one time 123
  • 33.4% - No 354
1061 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

I'm lucky to know a couple of talented artists. We have one commissioned work, oil painting on canvas, from a close friend and a few prints from a family friend.

lonelypond

quality posts: 434 Private Messages lonelypond

Mostly comic book related -- a couple of pages, many lithographs, some sketches. And a wonderful ink drawing we picked up at a little New Orleans storefront for $5.

safyrejet

quality posts: 122 Private Messages safyrejet

I do my own original artwork. I thought about paying myself but that just didn't make sense.

psycher1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psycher1

I've always wanted to but I've never found anything that I actually want to spend money on. I just don't 'get' art like I think I'm supposed to. Regardless, still want to, and am still looking.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Awww, yeah! Original art is my jaaaaaaaaam. I do have a few limited signed prints from special artists whose original works I cannot afford, but otherwise it's all original, one-of-a-kind stuff, baby! It's fun trawling the world, looking for new or old amazing, unique art (that I can afford). I've got stuff piled and stacked and stuffed all over the house, waiting to be framed (I have to save up for each framing, as framing usually costs a ton more than the art itself) or hanged (i.e., waiting for me to find more room on my walls without having to take everything off and make four dozen new holes). NOW LEMME SHOW OFF SOME OF MY NEWEST PIECES KPLZTHNXYAY.

A few months ago I bought this awesome painting that, with a little research, I found was of the first French airship launch at Meudon, by a French illustrator who did work on Jules Verne books. I adore it because it looks like some random steampunk alt-hist fantasy book cover but actually illustrates a historic event. The artist was probably there watching, sketching, preparing for this painting. So cool!

This one, I just got back from the framers with it, so it's still wrapped in plastic. I found it at an estate sale for next to nothing, trapped in a hideous frame and filthy. The photo doesn't do it justice, but the layers and globs and cuts and just ridiculously amazing textures of the oils in this painting turn what seems a boring winter village idyll into a shattered icicle and lumpen slush nightmare of winter. It makes me think of how Kay would see the world after his eyes have been magic-glazed by the Snow Queen, all oppressively lush and thick and hazed yet so very, very cold.

And these two are from some random artist at a comicon. One is an original watercolour and the other is a signed print. I could only afford one original. But I framed the both of them to match and they look so amazing together that it just doesn't matter which is which--they're ominously beautiful and complimentary, with one austere and cold and the other rich and luscious, but both DEATH.

krdshrk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krdshrk

This is one poll I can actually say Yes to...

My wife and I have a few Itzchak Tarkay's

As well as some by Anatole Krasnyansky, Marko Mavrovich, and our favorite..... Romero Britto..

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol

I have some limited edition sketches and my 9yo niece has made me some nice canvas artwork.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie

I would say relatively packed with probably 75% of my ten or so art pieces being original works.

Art...

Art!

Technically art!!!!

Have a couple other carvings that I was too lazy to take pics of. A mirror that is kind of art I guess... it was hand made. Most of them are from Thailand or China and so I can't read (or even type for that matter) the names of the artists.

I also have some pics I took myself such as this:

I also like this poll.

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca

I've mostly got a mixture of my own photography and sketches/limited-run prints from a few friends/comic book artists. Some day I hope to have my photographs hanging in other peoples' homes in addition to my own.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
goldenthorn wrote:Awww, yeah! Original art is my jaaaaaaaaam. I do have a few limited signed prints from special artists whose original works I cannot afford, but otherwise it's all original, one-of-a-kind stuff, baby! It's fun trawling the world, looking for new or old amazing, unique art (that I can afford). I've got stuff piled and stacked and stuffed all over the house, waiting to be framed (I have to save up for each framing, as framing usually costs a ton more than the art itself) or hanged (i.e., waiting for me to find more room on my walls without having to take everything off and make four dozen new holes). NOW LEMME SHOW OFF SOME OF MY NEWEST PIECES KPLZTHNXYAY.

A few months ago I bought this awesome painting that, with a little research, I found was of the first French airship launch at Meudon, by a French illustrator who did work on Jules Verne books. I adore it because it looks like some random steampunk alt-hist fantasy book cover but actually illustrates a historic event. The artist was probably there watching, sketching, preparing for this painting. So cool!

This one, I just got back from the framers with it, so it's still wrapped in plastic. I found it at an estate sale for next to nothing, trapped in a hideous frame and filthy. The photo doesn't do it justice, but the layers and globs and cuts and just ridiculously amazing textures of the oils in this painting turn what seems a boring winter village idyll into a shattered icicle and lumpen slush nightmare of winter. It makes me think of how Kay would see the world after his eyes have been magic-glazed by the Snow Queen, all oppressively lush and thick and hazed yet so very, very cold.

And these two are from some random artist at a comicon. One is an original watercolour and the other is a signed print. I could only afford one original. But I framed the both of them to match and they look so amazing together that it just doesn't matter which is which--they're ominously beautiful and complimentary, with one austere and cold and the other rich and luscious, but both DEATH.

Just wanted to quote this because it's awesome. Love the death watercolors!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

bluetuba wrote:Just wanted to quote this because it's awesome. Love the death watercolors!

Aww, thank you!!! If you like the watercolours, then you should check out the guy's website!