norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca

While I'm predominantly a baker in the kitchen, I've recently found a desire to start cooking full meals on a regular basis (mainly wanting to get some mileage out of my Crock Pot, but am open to trying all styles of cooking). Therefore, I'm on the search for recipes that people have found/invented/modified that they love and would like to share as well as folks to ask for advice/hints/tips. If you're interested in sharing or are searching for something specific that someone else might be able to help with, please post up!

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
norcalbecca wrote:While I'm predominantly a baker in the kitchen, I've recently found a desire to start cooking full meals on a regular basis(mainly wanting to get some mileage out of my Crock Pot, but am open to trying all styles of cooking). Therefore, I'm on the search for recipes that people have found/invented/modified that they love and would like to share as well as folks to ask for advice/hints/tips. If you're interested in sharing or are searching for something specific that someone else might be able to help with, please post up!

I'll start since I just asked tonight on FB. I'm looking for a good thicker (not crispy thin crust) hand toss pizza dough recipe. What is your favorite and why? Go!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
norcalbecca wrote:While I'm predominantly a baker in the kitchen, I've recently found a desire to start cooking full meals on a regular basis(mainly wanting to get some mileage out of my Crock Pot, but am open to trying all styles of cooking). Therefore, I'm on the search for recipes that people have found/invented/modified that they love and would like to share as well as folks to ask for advice/hints/tips. If you're interested in sharing or are searching for something specific that someone else might be able to help with, please post up!

Long ago and far, far away there was an EBW thread of recipes. No1 might be able to locate it.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

norcalbecca

Here's an easy introductory recipe:

Ingredients:

- One 15 or 16 oz. can each of the following types of beans: red beans, black beans, white beans and pinquitos
- One pound of polish or kielbasa sausage
-Salt
-Pepper
-Granulated garlic
-One white onion (optional)
-One jar of thick salsa (optional)

Directions:

-Open the cans of beans and pour all into one large pot. Do not drain the liquid from the cans.
-Cut the sausage up into 1/2" slices, then halve or quarter the slices to your preference.
-If adding onion, dice it and add to a frying pan.
-Add the sausage to the frying pan and lightly brown it before adding it (and the onions, if applicable) to the beans.
-Stir mixture thoroughly. Add salsa if desired.
-Add salt, pepper and granulated garlic to taste.
-Cook over medium-high heat until heated through and beans are soft. (A slight bubbling is okay, but it is best not to boil as it may cause the beans to get mushy.)
-Enjoy on it's own or with cornbread or biscuits. It's even good cold!

This recipe makes quite a bit so it's good if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to feed a big group or if you like having leftovers.

norcalbecca

KtCallista wrote:I'll start since I just asked tonight on FB. I'm looking for a good thicker (not crispy thin crust) hand toss pizza dough recipe. What is your favorite and why? Go!

Oooh... I hope someone posts a good one... I've been dying to try DIY pizza for a while now.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
norcalbecca wrote:Oooh... I hope someone posts a good one... I've been dying to try DIY pizza for a while now.

I'm only a fan of thin crust pizza, and cannot remember what recipe we normally use any more, but I will say that the thing that makes the biggest difference (IMO) is cold proofing the dough.

instead of proofing on the counter for a few hours, let the dough sit in the fridge for a few days, then on the counter for an hour or 2 to come up to room temperature.

I'm a fan of white pizza, with about 2.5 tonnes of garlic (or to taste)

pooflady

The more I think about it, there were threads for appetizers, meat, desserts. I think Fen started them.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
pooflady wrote:The more I think about it, there were threads for appetizers, meat, desserts. I think Fen started them.

couldn't find 'em. try tthighs.

zea thread from 2006
poof appetizer thread from 2007
poof soup/salad thread from 2007

fen's list of lists from 2007

norcalbecca

dougall wrote:I'm only a fan of thin crust pizza, and cannot remember what recipe we normally use any more, but I will say that the thing that makes the biggest difference (IMO) is cold proofing the dough.

instead of proofing on the counter for a few hours, let the dough sit in the fridge for a few days, then on the counter for an hour or 2 to come up to room temperature.

The more garlic, the better IMHO... we had an AMAZING white pizza up in the Seattle-ish area not too long ago. Looking forward to trying to recreate it!

pooflady

no1 wrote:couldn't find 'em. try tthighs.

zea thread from 2006

I think that's all there was. People lost interest. Good job, No1!

KtCallista

dougall wrote:I'm only a fan of thin crust pizza, and cannot remember what recipe we normally use any more, but I will say that the thing that makes the biggest difference (IMO) is cold proofing the dough.

If you find the recipe I'll give it a go. I was just putting my previous preference out there, but I'm not actually that picky. I just need a place to start as Google has a bit too much help.

dougall

KtCallista wrote:If you find the recipe I'll give it a go. I was just putting my previous preference out there, but I'm not actually that picky. I just need a place to start as Google has a bit too much help.

I don't even know if there's a difference between the dough used anyway.

I have no idea what recipe we currently use, because I can't remember the last time I made the dough, and I can't see the recipe laying around either.

but, I know I've used Jamie Oliver's recipe

and

Kitchen Unplugged's

in the past with good results.

I do, however, still advise that cold proving is the way to go, and will provide a better depth of flavor in the dough itself, after kneading, or punching down, or whatever your recipe calls for before letting it rise until doubled for the last time, instead of letting it rise, portion out the dough at that point, and freeze or leave in the fridge for a few days (I find that around 5 days works well for me) then pull out of the fridge a couple of hours before using (or 6ish from the freezer depending on room and freezer temperatures)

finally, slice.seriouseats can prove for some interesting reading too.

pooflady

no1 wrote:couldn't find 'em. try tthighs.

zea thread from 2006

Wow, those threads brought back some old names. Where are they now?

Actually, I know where one of them is, but that would be in really bad taste.

pooflady

Calling jqubed!!! Are you going to do the brackets this year?

KtCallista

dougall wrote:I don't even know if there's a difference between the dough used anyway.

I have no idea what recipe we currently use, because I can't remember the last time I made the dough, and I can't see the recipe laying around either.

but, I know I've used Jamie Oliver's recipe

and

Kitchen Unplugged's

in the past with good results.

I do, however, still advise that cold proving is the way to go, and will provide a better depth of flavor in the dough itself, after kneading, or punching down, or whatever your recipe calls for before letting it rise until doubled for the last time, instead of letting it rise, portion out the dough at that point, and freeze or leave in the fridge for a few days (I find that around 5 days works well for me) then pull out of the fridge a couple of hours before using (or 6ish from the freezer depending on room and freezer temperatures)

finally, slice.seriouseats can prove for some interesting reading too.

Thanks! I was going to experiment with freezing too so that's great advice!

dougall

KtCallista wrote:Thanks! I was going to experiment with freezing too so that's great advice!

You're very welcome,

hope you are enjoying fresh made pizza shortly.

KtCallista

dougall wrote:You're very welcome,

hope you are enjoying fresh made pizza shortly.

Me too! I miss playing with dough. LOVE baking, haven't had time lately.

norcalbecca

KtCallista wrote:Me too! I miss playing with dough. LOVE baking, haven't had time lately.

I'm totally a baker at heart... really need to get back to it as I've promised loaves to people who live in other areas of the country and I need to make good on them!