WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This is a big day for you guys. We've decided you've finally shown the maturity to earn a shot at the special grownup inks. This week, your job is to design a shirt with some glow-in-the-dark on it. Have fun. But follow the rules:

• Your design must contain some element of Glow in the Dark ink.
  • GITD ink counts as one of your six colors.
  • GITD ink should be represented with the approved Glow colors (hex code #fdfaea for day image, #d0fcd0 for night)
  • Glow in the dark ink MUST be placed over white ink, making white ink one of your required colors. GITD can cover all or some of the white ink. GITD should not be placed over any other color.
  • You must show both a "day" and "night" version of your design in your large comp image.
  • Your thumbnail image can show the day version, night version, or both, but should not be animated.
  • No halftones. This includes regular ink.
  • We reserve the right to reject if we think the design will not give the desired effect or is otherwise unprintable.
  • Check out Tricky Treats, Ghosties, or A Lot of This Going Around for examples.
  • No Cranberry tees

If you can't follow these rules, if you let us down and prove us wrong about the whole maturity thing, we will not hesitate to lock the glow-in-the-dark ink up again. Are we understood? Now go make us proud!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Travis -

Is the "No Halftones" only for the GITD ink, or for all ink colors?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

lyonscc wrote:Travis -

Is the "No Halftones" only for the GITD ink, or for all ink colors?

For all of it. Let's keep them halftone free.

Also, here's a swatch of the colors you should use to represent day/night glows:

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
tgentry wrote:For all of it. Let's keep them halftone free.

Also, here's a swatch of the colors you should use to represent day/night glows:

Hay for the night glow design do we just put on a black layer with Opacity at 90%, or do you have a preferred method?

tgentry

Staff

jfsiv wrote:Hay for the night glow design do we just put on a black layer with Opacity at 90%, or do you have a preferred method?

That's pretty much what we do.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Do the day/night images have to be different?

move along

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Cool derby. Interesting to run it at this time of year too, so it's not too Halloween slanted.

tgentry

Staff

j5 wrote:Do the day/night images have to be different?

Not sure what you mean exactly. I would do a "split" screen kind of thing, or have a inset detail or something. We want to see what it looks like in the light and what it looks like in the dark, so just some kind of effort to get that information across.

tgentry

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Cool derby. Interesting to run it at this time of year too, so it's not too Halloween slanted.

Yeah, I say why wait. It's dark year-round 50% of the time.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

Screw it--I'm doing a Halloween design anyway :P

oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit
kevlar51 wrote:Screw it--I'm doing a Halloween design anyway :P

/highfives

I was thinking the same thing...

haha

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tgentry wrote:Not sure what you mean exactly. I would do a "split" screen kind of thing, or have a inset detail or something. We want to see what it looks like in the light and what it looks like in the dark, so just some kind of effort to get that information across.

I mean is it ok if the image is the same day vs. night. (I.e. the only difference being glow) or are you expecting a design that reveals hidden detail when viewed in the dark?

move along

tgentry

Staff

j5 wrote:I mean is it ok if the image is the same day vs. night. (I.e. the only difference being glow) or are you expecting a design that reveals hidden detail when viewed in the dark?

That's pretty much up to you. We've run designs that have no 'hidden' elements -- parts of the design just happen to glow. We've also done designs where there's a hidden part only visible in the dark (this is why we're requiring the ink to be on white -- we can make slight adjustments to the white to make these "hidden"elements more hidden. If it's put over most other colors it's usually really apparent it's there.)

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
WootBot wrote:maturity

... i'm out!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

IS there a minimum line size to the glow in the dark ink? Or is it the same as a normal ink?

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

I forsee the nice things being taken away.

D:

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

edit- just kidding, already answered :P

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
tgentry wrote:For all of it. Let's keep them halftone free.

Yay!

I stink at halftones...

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

This is gonna be awesome! Let the confusion begin.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! *Dies* Must... come... up... with... something!!!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 26 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

I'm expecting more than a few Magic 8-ball images for some reason. Bleh.

Oh, and "Grab Fable's GITD foxes before Monday!" typical pimpage since this whole thing's about glowies.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

pennyflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennyflip

This seems so shiny and scary. I wanna do an X-ray themed shirt, with silliness revealed only in the dark.

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Haaaaa. Nox and I were feeling silly today. I have three words for you.

Three
Unicorn
Moon

/giggle

Cactupuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cactupuss

How well do you think the glow in the dark ink will show up on grass, or kelly green colored shirts?

I want to put mine on one of those, but I am afraid the colors will blend in too much even in the dark...

Spiritgreen

I'm trying something creepy with the white noise on an old TV set. Late night Thursday doubts and doodles, it's all coming back to me.

---

@Cactupus, I think kelly green would work at least!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
Cactupuss wrote:How well do you think the glow in the dark ink will show up on grass, or kelly green colored shirts?

I want to put mine on one of those, but I am afraid the colors will blend in too much even in the dark...

uh no...sounds hideous. Also, GITD must be placed on white only

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Spiritgreen wrote:Late night Thursday doubts and doodles, it's all coming back to me.

Yup, time to make the donuts...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit

Any suggestions on this?

Luke facing his fears- IN THE CAVE OF CAERBANNOG!!!

Spiritgreen

orabbit wrote:Yup, time to make the donuts...

^__^

Cactupuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cactupuss
tomspc wrote:uh no...sounds hideous. Also, GITD must be placed on white only

White ink yes...the shirt can be any color though. In any case I decided to pick a different color.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
oakenspirit wrote:Any suggestions on this?

Luke facing his fears- IN THE CAVE OF CAERBANNOG!!!

Maybe a little more outline on the monster... it is a little difficult to tell what it is at 1st.

JadenKale

I think I scanned the rest of the designers' questions and didn't spot this but: What is the rule for GITD on white ink if the design is ON a white tee? I know, I know... most people hate white tees, and the ink could likely be seen anyway, but does there still need to be a white base under the GITD when already printing on a white tee?

JadenKale

shikausstan wrote:Maybe a little more outline on the monster... it is a little difficult to tell what it is at 1st.

it's easy for me... but that's because I know it's a StarWars/Monty Python mashup.

Draike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike

GITD theme? BRING ON THE HORRIFYING DEEP SEA FISHES!

Seriously you guys I'm expecting some great examples of bio-luminescence in this derby. Don't leave me hanging.

pennyflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennyflip
Draike wrote:GITD theme? BRING ON THE HORRIFYING DEEP SEA FISHES!

Seriously you guys I'm expecting some great examples of bio-luminescence in this derby. Don't leave me hanging.

This is beautiful!

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I'll be posting. BEWARE CLOWNS!

derby entry 3/15/2013 by Ape Lad, on Flickr

tgentry

Staff

ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be posting. BEWARE CLOWNS!

I'd recommend leaving some of the original design just barely visible in the night version so we can see how the glow fits in with the overall design.

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad
tgentry wrote:I'd recommend leaving some of the original design just barely visible in the night version so we can see how the glow fits in with the overall design.

Thanks! I updated the preview.

blackbirdps3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbirdps3

I love this because clowns are morbid creations from the pits of a demon's scrotum. But I couldn't wear it because it has a clown on it.

It's basically like an anti swastika shirt that has a swastika crossed out. I agree with it but I don't want a swastika anywhere on my shirt.

I'll still vote for it though.

dfunk29

quality posts: 52 Private Messages dfunk29

Great! I won't be sleeping anytime soon. Thanks for those clowns.

And a special thanks to Poltergist and Tim Curry for making my phobia and insomnia possible.