bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba

I think the writeup is a hilarious example of energy efficiency gone horribly awry. All you chumps who refuse to buy a shirt because you don't like the article on the website are babies. :P

I'd include an appropriate animated gif but apparently my new employer blocks everything! I guess I'm lucky to still be around at all during the day.

girlwithglasses

quality posts: 1 Private Messages girlwithglasses
amyys wrote:I like the write-up. It has a kind of retro Monte-Python aura.

Monty Python was generally amusing, though.

Ah, sorry, you're referring to Monte-Python, the class of computational algorithms that rely on repeated random sampling of words to generate potentially amusing text. It failed in this case, unfortunately.

STMC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STMC
scotttampa wrote:All of you griping about the writeup saying youre not buying the shirt? Youre not fooling anyone... you were NOT going to buy it anyway! Just an excuse.. who cares... those who really want it are buying it REGARDLESS... as the whole country is lit up as buying! Great shirt!

you are so wrong..i buy most of the cat-related shirts...but every time i would put this one on it would make me think of the write-up..i understand it has nothing to do with the artist...but if you had ever seen what some people do to cats you would understand the 'not-funny' about it...

bethedee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethedee

Well, yeah. It's not that the writeup offends me, it just sends a different message about the shirt. You look at the shirt and you think the cat is sleeping. You look at the description and it says the cat is dead. It's just awkward. I would wear a sleeping cat shirt but not a shirt with a dead cat on it, that's gross. And the "official" description is there telling me the cat is dead!

enesvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enesvy

Ignoring write-up...ADORE the shirt. How can I turn that down for $12?

You're messin' with my zen thing, man.

enesvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enesvy
bethedee wrote:Well, yeah. It's not that the writeup offends me, it just sends a different message about the shirt. You look at the shirt and you think the cat is sleeping. You look at the description and it says the cat is dead. It's just awkward. I would wear a sleeping cat shirt but not a shirt with a dead cat on it, that's gross. And the "official" description is there telling me the cat is dead!

Except that no one would look at the shirt and think "dead cat" because it is obviously a sleeping cat. Dead cats do not curl up with their tails around them--that's a live cat position. Maybe you would think "dead cat" because you'd read the description, but no one else would. Write up or not, I see a sleeping cat.

You're messin' with my zen thing, man.

animaluver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages animaluver

Do these shirts shrink? I'm a woman but tempted to get a men's small because of the longer length (I'm 5' 7", 105 pounds, and don't mind a shirt to be a bit big)

pyromilkman

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pyromilkman

Is turning a dead cat into a helicopter considered energy efficient?

SevenStarSonata

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SevenStarSonata
STMC wrote:..i'm with you on this..saw the shirt, was ready to buy, then read the description..i do feline rescue ..see too much carnage/abuse to ever wear this shirt now...

They've done this with cat shirts before. A few months ago, they had an adorable one with a kitty wrapped in Christmas lights...and the description, instead of being cute for the holidays, was about how the cat had been killed and left wrapped in lights on someone's doorstep. It made me sick to my stomach, and I still can't look at the design without thinking of the description. Needless to say, I didn't buy the shirt.

I don't know who's writing and publishing these disgusting, violent-against-cats stories, but it's sick and they've lost a LOT of my business because of it.

kevlar51

quality posts: 42 Private Messages kevlar51
bethedee wrote:Well, yeah. It's not that the writeup offends me, it just sends a different message about the shirt. You look at the shirt and you think the cat is sleeping. You look at the description and it says the cat is dead. It's just awkward. I would wear a sleeping cat shirt but not a shirt with a dead cat on it, that's gross. And the "official" description is there telling me the cat is dead!

Hey now ... if I wanted to design a dead cat shirt I'd at least have the common decency to put "Schrödinger" on it.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
pyromilkman wrote:Is turning a dead cat into a helicopter considered energy efficient?

Quality post if I've ever seen one.

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
bethedee wrote:And the "official" description is there telling me the cat is dead!

At the bottom of the website is a disclaimer

Woot wrote:Product narratives are for entertainment purposes and frequently employ literary point of view; the narratives do not express Woot's editorial opinion.

Have you visited woot sites for long? The descriptions on all sites for all items are usually not related in any realistic way to the product and are there for the lolz only.

If you don't like a made up story about a crazy guy who uses cats to insulate his house that's fine but to say that it represents some kind of official description of the design is completely wrong.

Every shirt gets that kind of askew perspective story to go along with it, you just happen to find this one offensive. The writers can't please everybody all the time. Well, they COULD but that would be no fun at all.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

I would like to request a special version that has a large drooling sleeping cat. Then it would be just like my Smudge.

Congrats Kevlar.

PS - I owe you $20 and a beer.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 715 Private Messages CowboyDann
bluetuba wrote:Have you visited woot sites for long? The descriptions on all sites for all items are usually not related in any realistic way to the product and are there for the lolz only.

If you don't like a made up story about a crazy guy who uses cats to insulate his house that's fine but to say that it represents some kind of official description of the design is completely wrong.

Every shirt gets that kind of askew perspective story to go along with it, you just happen to find this one offensive. The writers can't please everybody all the time. Well, they COULD but that would be no fun at all.

I'm slowly trying to get back into the swing of hanging out around woot. I forgot how much fun it was to come by and find the offended parties. I'll be swinging by more often just for this

Seriously though, well put, I couldn't put it better myself.

veterancyclone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veterancyclone

Hilarious write-up. The people offended by it probably have more social interactions with cats than humans during their average day, which goes a long way in explaining their inability to take a joke.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

pretty tough for me to choose Today's Offended Party.
i do like a challenge!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

After reading all of the complaints about the write-up, I decided to read it. I was expecting something much worse than it turned out to be - methinks some folks are too easily offended.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

Remember in school when you learned how cool it was that the Native Americans used every part of the Buffalo, because they were so close to nature and stuff? That's what the write-up is about. Why is it bad just because it's a cat?

skemmis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

Looks like this writeup successfully distracted folks from noticing that we're selling a pre-cooked pork loin wrapped in skin on Wine.Woot.

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca
animaluver wrote:Do these shirts shrink? I'm a woman but tempted to get a men's small because of the longer length (I'm 5' 7", 105 pounds, and don't mind a shirt to be a bit big)

i am 5'7" also.. i buy a mens medium and it is not huge. i weigh 130 so there is a difference there.. i found the mens small tight in the shoulder and the womans largest size way too tight..

bethedee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethedee
bluetuba wrote:Have you visited woot sites for long? The descriptions on all sites for all items are usually not related in any realistic way to the product and are there for the lolz only.

Yeah. Which is why I put quotes around "official." I also said I didn't find it offensive and it wouldn't matter if I did. I understand the basic principles of comedy. It's just if you're wondering why people don't want to buy the shirt, the answer is that it reminds them of dead cats now. Seems hard on Kevlar, who made a nice shirt. Not fair.

geekwench

quality posts: 10 Private Messages geekwench
RayKremer wrote:And they are solar powered!

Wait, then why have I been spending so much on food for mine?

bettyviolet10101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bettyviolet10101

I seriously got a Woot account just to add in to this amazing dead cat against the sleeping cat saga. Did that even make sense? It is true it was a rather hilarious write up and obviously a JOKE. On the other hand I do know people who are madly in love with cats (one in which happens to be named Basil and also happens to be dead) and they will not take any kind of joke about them so I have been in this situation before. I am sorry so many people could not see the humor in that write up because you missed a good laugh. AND I can still look at the shirt and know it is a sleeping cat and not a dead cat nailed to a door simply because that is much more logical.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 40.667s
First Sucker: baybei
Last Wooter to Woot: lostnightsoul
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 39% of Shirt Woots
Top 41% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 698

First day sales 698
First day posts 62

bg38357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bg38357

My email sez $12.
The site sez $15.
????????????????????

safyrejet

quality posts: 108 Private Messages safyrejet
bg38357 wrote:My email sez $12.
The site sez $15.
????????????????????

It's only $12 for the first day. After that it's $15 in the top 20. If/when it drops off the top 20 it goes up in price again.

bethedee wrote:Well, yeah. It's not that the writeup offends me, it just sends a different message about the shirt. ... And the "official" description is there telling me the cat is dead!

Actually, you might read the write up again. It specifically says "No, the fact that you keep him alive....you think I should put my cat down for the sake of the climate?"
The nutjob in the write up is arguing that the cat should made dead in order to lower the owner's carbon footprint. Nowhere does it say that little Basil kitty is already dead.

spaceoutlaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spaceoutlaw

Why is it whenever someone feels uncomfortable and speaks their mind, they get attacked with 'you are a wimp', 'why can't you take a joke', or some other crap? Why is my opinion of not buying a shirt less than someone saying 'I hate the shirt color', 'the design is ugly', or something for their reasoning for not buying a shirt?

I am happy I am not the only one who feels this way.

I said I didn't buy the shirt because of the description. Some people stated that the description doesn't reflect what the shirt may mean. That may be true, but it does reflect how they market. Take example the US marketing for the game 'Earthbound'. They marketed the game as a toilet humor game meant for grade school boys. If you played the game, you will find out that wasn't the case. Sadly and as expected, the game didn't sell well in the US. For a modern example, take the newest Tomb Raider game. If it wasn't for some people's reviews of the game, a chunk of people would have passed the game up because they would have thought it was about terrible act and dehumanizing Lara Croft.

Marketing can hurt a product even if the marketing isn't what the actual product is.

Another way of looking at not buying this shirt as an 'inside joke' kind of thing. Everyone who sees this shirt and doesn't know or buy from Woot would find the shirt clever or cute as it should. Wooters, if they saw this in the wild, would snicker 'isn't that the dead-cats-would-make-the-world-better shirt?'

But my explanations won't make any sense to the 'dead babies are funny' crowd because they stay in their basements making fun of people's fears with their lack of empathy and/or being so desensitized. ...Oh Hey! Look at me! I can make unfounded antisocial "jokes" about random strangers too!