WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How much preparation do you do before you do laundry?
  • 12.3% - I pre-treat stains, empty all the pockets, turn t-shirts inside-out, the works 214
  • 25.4% - I separate the darks, the lights, and the whites, and maybe some delicates or whatever 441
  • 29.6% - I just break up darks and lights 514
  • 27.7% - Hey, what do you want from me? At least I'm washing it 481
  • 4.9% - I don't wash my own clothes 85
1735 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

I do laundry every 3 days. One load of towels, another of clothes. Never, in over 20 years of doing laundry, have I once put in a white sock and pulled out a pink one. I really don't understand why people bother separating colors from whites.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

I don't believe that turning t-shirts inside out does anything to increase the longevity of clothing. Want to preserve clothes? Cold water, delicate wash.

I pre-treat serious stains like blood and oil-based food stains. I turn undershirts and underwear inside out.

After that, as many pieces of clothing as possible gets shoved into the washer on regular wash/regular spin with cold water, detergent and a fabric softener ball.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313

I only pre-treat bad stains, but I always separate reds and whites. I HAVE had some of my white stuff stained pink-ish.

bblhed

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bblhed

After I taught my wife how to do laundry she informed me that I had no idea what I was doing when it came to laundry and she too over.

My laundry duties now consist of machine maintenance and purchase and paying for the detergent of her choice.

Oh and I was allowed to decide that we are going to switch to a gas dryer so that we can do laundry on the generator when the power goes out.

HanovereFist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HanovereFist

I Shout the stains outta my grundies.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Why isn't 'get naked' a choice?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

I'd have to ask my wife... I have a tide stain pen at my desk, if I get something on my shirt I use that. Otherwise, she might shout something that gets a stain. With 4 boys I'm sure she does something.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Why isn't 'get naked' a choice?

So...when is laundry day again?

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:So...when is laundry day again?

Tuesdays.

And my laundry room doesn't have windows.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Tuesdays.

And my laundry room doesn't have windows.

BRT

move along

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb

Pre-treat certain stains, such as blood, cooking oil, pasta sauce...really anything hard to get out of clothing.

Empty pockets because if I don't there WILL BE a wallet getting washed.

I don't bother turning shirts inside out, although I have made certain exceptions...

Seperate darks, lights, towels, bedding, jeans, delicates. Whites go with the lights, unless I'm using bleach and then they get washed seperate. Oh, and the babies stuff is ALWAYS washed seperately with a milder detergent.

Cold water, detergent, fabric softener sheets in the drier.

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

Two main piles: Care and care less. Care means laundry is not arbitrarily piled in, heavy isn't mixed in with lightweight, and gentler detergent. Care less means weight class is irrelevant and any detergent suitable for front loaders is game. Can't say there's an automatic standard for assignment either - I have $20 Woot/AA shirts that are in the care less pile and sub-$1 thrift-store-sourced shirts in the care pile.

Sub-piles: Lights, darks, or mixed colors. Dryer or hang dry.

mamajamerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamajamerson

Having (successfully?) raised 3 boys, I've developed a system which allows me to almost keep up with the laundry while remaining sane.
Here's my highly complex system:

Pile 1 = things that get bleach & hot water

Pile 2 = everything else

I pretreat stains if and only if the article has been laid aside for that purpose. If you just threw it into the hamper, it's probably coming back to you with the stain intact.

I refuse to be involved in checking pockets, turning inside out, yada yada yada.

I do all of this because, really life is too short. Ya know?

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

I have separate bins, so not need to prep before washing.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I have to check the pockets. It seems a dime is just the right size to jam the washer.

I pretreat stains.

That is about it. Unless I decide to bleach the whites.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I turn my tee shirts inside out, that's pretty much it.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

tommycatzero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommycatzero

I pre-treat stains, empty all the pockets, turn t-shirts inside-out

....but I do not separate darks from lights.

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

I turn out my tees because that really does make the prints last way longer. I empty pockets because I leave everything in there. Don't really see the need for anything else though.

surferdude1063

quality posts: 0 Private Messages surferdude1063

The only thing i do is turn my Woot shirts inside out so they last longer.

Harris Schmerling

sarahat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sarahat

I turn my Tshirts inside-out when I take them off. I try to empty pockets when I toss stuff in the hamper, but I seem to miss tissues with some regularity, so I've been checking again before I wash. Separate darks and "lights", but most of my lights are more medium, and the only hard and fast rule is that anything new gets washed with darks.

Everything gets hung to dry in my home, except sheets and towels, which go to the laundromat.