5%
3%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 97 Private Messages Thirdbase9

It's too bad about the text under the moon. If not for that I would buy the shirt.

I don't know.

ksguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ksguy
Thirdbase9 wrote:It's too bad about the text under the moon. If not for that I would buy the shirt.

Same here.

Coding with the fury of 7.89e-25 suns.

adamselby

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adamselby

Also not a fan of the text.

midori4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midori4

Same here to, i can't even tell what the text says.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Wow, 500 votes! Haven't seen those numbers in a while. Congrats, Pablo! Well deserved.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I love wirdou's witty take on René Magritte's La trahison des images:

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh

Is there a reason it's in French...?

hoserelder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoserelder

it says 'That's no moon' in French

pscof42

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pscof42

Uh, the text is what makes it classy versus kitschy.

Allegro100

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Allegro100

For the uncultured: French for "this is not a moon." A play on a surrealist painting (ceci n'est pas un pipe.)

jblood

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jblood
midori4 wrote:Same here to, i can't even tell what the text says.

The text is "Ceci n'est pas une lune", which is French for "That's no moon!"

In fact, I kinda like that... it makes it less obvious, people will think at first glance that it's some artsy shirt, instead of a reference to the GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

:-)

EDIT: Yeah, what Allegro said!

lonelypond

quality posts: 435 Private Messages lonelypond
orabbit wrote:Wow, 500 votes! Haven't seen those numbers in a while. Congrats, Pablo! Well deserved.

Yep. I think that counts as a landslide. Clever take on two kinds of classic.

marksman1122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marksman1122

I completely agree, if not for the text I would buy the shirt in a heartbeat. Even if the text was something other than french. As it stands, no dice.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
pscof42 wrote:Uh, the text is what makes it classy versus kitschy.

Exactly!!

Well done! Congrats on the print.
(Really, I just love it when something I voted for prints!)

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy
Thirdbase9 wrote:It's too bad about the text under the moon. If not for that I would buy the shirt.

DIS-Agree, the text, done just this way, makes this shirt work much better. I'd like the text to glow. I won't buy it because it's a black shirt. But I wish I could. Nice job, congrats.

stroge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stroge

want this in a hoodie

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586

sacre blue, invaders!!!!

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313

I can definitely appreciate the nod to art that the text gives, but unfortunately it's the reason I will not be getting this shirt. Not my style at all. Besides, I already have Know Your Moons, which fits my style much better. This is a great shirt, just not for me.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
jblood wrote:The text is "Ceci n'est pas une lune", which is French for "That's no moon!"

In fact, I kinda like that... it makes it less obvious, people will think at first glance that it's some artsy shirt, instead of a reference to the GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

Wait, there's a movie reference in the design in addition to the reference to the Magritte painting?

I think this is a perfect use of the "Ceci n'est pas..." trope. The Magritte painting is a commentary on the falseness of reproduction as well as on the psychology of visual interpretation: this isn't a pipe; it's a painting of a pipe. Wirdou's shirt - on first glance - appears to be a moon, but it's not a moon. Moreover, it's not even simply a t-shirt of a moon: there's a glow-in-the-dark... something in there that's only revealed under certain visual circumstances.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

vraith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vraith

Frankly, the text is what makes the shirt awesome. I just wish it were a navy shirt (which is what it looked like in voting) rather than black. Still got one anyway.

dfunk29

quality posts: 50 Private Messages dfunk29

The text adds more clarification to the shirt in the daylight, for those who get the reference to the artwork. There's plenty of art/Sci-fi nerds out there, like myself!

TomTee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomTee

Text is the deal-killer.

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark

Such ignorance on Woot this evening. The writeup does all but directly explain it.

I find this extremely clever. Without the art reference this would be quite forgettable.

kyrn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyrn
vraith wrote:Frankly, the text is what makes the shirt awesome. I just wish it were a navy shirt (which is what it looked like in voting) rather than black. Still got one anyway.

Agree. I grew up with a Magritte book in the house and my favorite shirt is still the Super Mario pirana plant take on "this is not a pipe"

smoothvince

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smoothvince

Text is the deal maker!
Let's get our minds straight
(seriously though, I'm buying it BECAUSE of the text)

dsaiz11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsaiz11

Finally!!...A Star Wars shirt!
Bought 2 - 1 for hubby & daughter (both sleeping didn't want it to sell out especially since I haven't seen a high vote on a design in a long time!)

Congrats Wirdou! 500 votes well deserved -Awesome design!!

krpan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krpan
pscof42 wrote:Uh, the text is what makes it classy versus kitschy.

Bah... text makes it a lousy pretentious shirt, it could have been a great geeky shirt.

As others have said, would have bought it in a heartbeat if text was not in french. As it is ... no dice.

"To pač ni luna"

Shinespark

krpan wrote:As others have said, would have bought it in a heartbeat if text was not in french. As it is ... no dice.

But then it wouldn't be a Magritte reference.

jblood

neuropsychosocial wrote:Wait, there's a movie reference in the design in addition to the reference to the Magritte painting?

I think this is a perfect use of the "Ceci n'est pas..." trope. The Magritte painting is a commentary on the falseness of reproduction as well as on the psychology of visual interpretation: this isn't a pipe; it's a painting of a pipe. Wirdou's shirt - on first glance - appears to be a moon, but it's not a moon. Moreover, it's not even simply a t-shirt of a moon: there's a glow-in-the-dark... something in there that's only revealed under certain visual circumstances.

Yes indeed! That's why it works on so many levels... but truthfully, most people who see the shirt will not get the "Ceci n'est pas un pipe" reference, or even know who René Magritte was. I still think they will most likely see the "moon" and the French, and think "Oh, an artsy shirt."

Nice analysis, though! :-)

OmniOne

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OmniOne
Shinespark wrote:
I find this extremely clever. Without the art reference this would be quite forgettable.

Completely agree. Excellent shirt on several levels.

krpan wrote:Bah... text makes it a lousy pretentious shirt, it could have been a great geeky shirt.

With such a lack of geeky shirts on the internet, I can see why you're upset. =|

safyrejet

quality posts: 122 Private Messages safyrejet

For the clueless...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVekNsgUqn4

This shirt is awesome! And the French text is exactly what makes it work so well on multiple levels.

By day it's a slightly pompous and totally cool artsy kinda shirt but in the dark it's moonlighting as a nerdy Star Wars reference. (pun intended) A grand merger of two nerdy worlds!!! Yes, I totally bought one. Shhh, don't tell my over-stuffed t-shirt drawers.

fgarriel

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fgarriel

Ceci n'est pas une lune; Ceci un piège!

BensonM

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BensonM

1. Buy the shirt.
2. Buy these.
3. Be happy.

FWIW, I'm in the pro-text camp, but witness the glowiness of this fully armed and operational battlestation, and then tell me blacking out white text on a black short is too much work!

wooters.us FTW!

Big Ogre Cudgels!
2009 Nov 19
2009 May 15

goblynn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goblynn

In for three--artsy or no, I love that:

1) it's Star Wars! how can I resist?
2) it glows.
3) being in French, it won't be readily guessed by just anyone I pass by.

My kids and I will be wearing these when we ride Star Tours at WDW. :D

Shinespark

safyrejet wrote:Shhh, don't tell my over-stuffed t-shirt drawers.

You're telling me. I wish Woot shirts were acceptable interview and wedding attire.

jblood

Shinespark wrote:You're telling me. I wish Woot shirts were acceptable interview and wedding attire.

They're not?

Well. Guess that explains the glares...

SirGecko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirGecko

Anyone have an example of the glow in the dark shirts in an action shot? I'd like to know how well they actually work in the real world.

waterbugjk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterbugjk

Do people hate the French language or French people?
Magritte was Belgian, not French, if that makes a difference.

In for one.

jrutkowski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrutkowski

This was the best shirt I've seen on woot in the longest time...and then I saw the french text at the bottom. Total Fail! I would have bought this in an instant without that gibberish. instead I would have to defend one of the most hated people on earth every time I wear this shirt? I think not!