Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
jrutkowski wrote:This was the best shirt I've seen on woot in the longest time...and then I saw the french text at the bottom. Total Fail! I would have bought this in an instant without that gibberish. instead I would have to defend one of the most hated people on earth every time I wear this shirt? I think not!

And who would have thought that this guy has 0 quality posts?

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad

The Philistines are out in force tonight. This design is genius! Congrats, Wirdou!

bajorand

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bajorand

Love the shirt. All the hand-waving over the text reminds me of a time my husband and I were sitting in a local Chinese buffet. A lady near us was talking very loudly about a tour she'd taken to Paris. She said over and over how disappointing the food was, how it was nothing special, small portions, weird flavors, etc. She was sitting in a mediocre buffet, chowing down, dissing the food in Paris. I can say from first-hand experience that the food in Paris is most definitely not disappointing! In fact, as we made our way from one side of France to the other, the only disappointing meal we had was at an American-themed restaurant. Go figure.

So my point is, basically, you can lead a horse to whimsy and culture, but you can't make him get it.

n10w84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n10w84

No, it's not a Moon... nor a Deathstar... It's a glowing representation of a Deathstar!

Cataphract40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cataphract40

http://scotchtape.ductwhisky.com/2011/04/c-un-piege.html

dfunk29

quality posts: 54 Private Messages dfunk29

I believe the people having trouble with the text are missing out on the bigger picture here. The point of the text is that it's saying "this is not a moon", a modified classic quote from the movie! Yeah it's in French & a reference to a work of art that's not totally mainstream ( but not obscure either), that's what makes it a clever crossover.

Buy it & show off your culture with your geekiness, buy it & get out your magical disappearing ink utensil, or admire the cool design & see what's on sale tomorrow.

mrivers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrivers

Artsy fartsy. It glows. Gotta get it.

sharond95

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sharond95
Cataphract40 wrote:http://scotchtape.ductwhisky.com/2011/04/c-un-piege.html

Same designer?

...even the font is the same.

ceoofaep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceoofaep
sharond95 wrote:Same designer?

...even the font is the same.

The font is the same because it's (both) a reference to the Magritte painting =)

ceoofaep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceoofaep

Definitely in for one. Two, actually. It's like (pop)culture-inception! ...I'll have to wear one shirt over the other ^^

The "That's no moon" movie quote... which correlates with the phrasing of considerably well-known and controversial Belgian Surrealist Artist Magritte... Who -in a way- reminds the world that Art merely imitates Life... and that a drawing of something isn't the thing it's a drawing of.

That concept, paired with the drawing of a moon in Magritte's style (especially with the writing in the same style) ...which is actually just the *drawing* of a moon... which isn't even a moon. Not even a drawn one... instant win, for me =)

It's true, you can't make people "get it" but I have to admit I'm a tad bit irked by this... unthoughtful jumping to conclusions and premature venting.

Then again, that adds to the "inception"... people's perception of (their version of) reality doesn't necessarily have to coincide with your own ^^;

Congrats on the print- definitely my kind of thing.

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca

my favorite part of woot shirts is reading all the reasons people are NOT buying the shirts. oh the gnashing or teeth.. the wailing.. the complete lack of sense...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Magritte got a lot of stick for that painting too. But without the artistic twist the text gives it, this shirt couldn't even be printed here. A little bit of culture in your Star Wars won't hurt you. ;)

Congrats on the print and the clever concept, Wirdou.

basfiji

quality posts: 9 Private Messages basfiji

This is brilliant!!!

I will wear this while smoking my pipe, so that I am extra classy

heatherleather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heatherleather

The text is what seals the deal for me on this one! Nice work!

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

I went to an engineering college and have never taken an art class. I still got the Magritte reference, and it's what makes this work.

I'm impressed (but not in a good way) by the number of people who have never been exposed to one of the most famous paintings of the Twentieth Century.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Not that this trope hasn't been done, because it has (which stopped me from chasing it, blast it all)

But the GiTD really drives it home as something special.
Nicely played wirdou.

eta: I've seen these all over, but without attribution: Tumblr

eta2: This one cracked me up.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
jrutkowski wrote:I would have bought this in an instant without that gibberish. instead I would have to defend one of the most hated people on earth every time I wear this shirt? I think not!

Rene Magritte is "one of the most hated people on earth"? What bit of history have I entirely missed?

I wanted it when I saw it. I want it more now that I've read all the haters' comments. Yeesh. The text is what makes this shirt great instead of just cute.

j5

MadamAtom wrote:Rene Magritte is "one of the most hated people on earth"? What bit of history have I entirely missed?

I think he means the French.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
wkmtca wrote:my favorite part of woot shirts is reading all the reasons people are NOT buying the shirts. oh the gnashing or teeth.. the wailing.. the complete lack of sense...

I feel I have a lot of sense, and this forum is for exactly what people are doing, giving their opinion, and I don't like the words.

I got the reference, and I think it would have won handily too if it didn't have the wording...its Star Wars for God's sake! It sells itself in these here parts.

Saying there is a lack of common sense seems a bit uppity to me. Go home and put on your fedora, hipster.

clownstrike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clownstrike

Needs Glow text!

"Ceci n'est pas une etoile de la mort"

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Wooooow!! 500 votes!! I'm so happy so many people liked this :D:D Thank you all for your nice words. It's been a while since my last print here and it feels so great :D And I want to give a special thanks to my friend the fantastic designer Naolito, who really helped me with this design :D Keep the awesomeness!

nurlip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nurlip

i disagree guys. i wear my nerdhood with pride. while i respect the double awesomeness that the quote brings to this shirt, if you think the text in french will make it less obvious, you're forgetting that people love to ask about weird shirts. You'll get 'what does your shirt say?' all day and then have to explain the whole thing (both the star wars part and the artist part) to everyone over and over.

However, if i have $12 to blow on this right now, i totally would b/c its awesome, respect to the designer.

ArsenalOfCharm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArsenalOfCharm
stroge wrote:want this in a hoodie

Wow I love this as a shirt but as a zip up hoodie this would blow my mind, make it happen woot

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Genuinely amazed how few people got the Magritte reference. Speechless.

I'm no art buff, never liked drawing. But its only referenced in pop culture on practically a daily basis.

wootcrap1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootcrap1

First I saw the title and the picture on the shirt and said, "ha, clever." Then I saw the Magritte refernece and said, "HA HA! CLEVER!"

I love this shirt.

RayKremer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RayKremer

All the people that hate it because of the text are amazing. There's no joke there without the text.

Have some more Magritte, everybody:
http://drawingatduke.blogspot.com/2012/02/beyond-reality-rene-magritte.html

SirGecko wrote:Anyone have an example of the glow in the dark shirts in an action shot? I'd like to know how well they actually work in the real world.

I have the "Pterodactyl With A Machine Gun" shirt with the joke constellations from a while back. If you hit it with a flashlight it glows adequately for a couple of minutes. Pretty sure that's fairly typical of phosphorescent pigments, really.

sigifreud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigifreud
jrutkowski wrote:This was the best shirt I've seen on woot in the longest time...and then I saw the french text at the bottom. Total Fail! I would have bought this in an instant without that gibberish. instead I would have to defend one of the most hated people on earth every time I wear this shirt? I think not!

You mean by those erudite gentlemen in Congress who renamed the potato dish "freedom fries". Geez...........

Dandylyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dandylyon

I LOVE the text part! Makes it much more special.

jblood wrote:The text is "Ceci n'est pas une lune", which is French for "That's no moon!"

In fact, I kinda like that... it makes it less obvious, people will think at first glance that it's some artsy shirt, instead of a reference to the GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

:-)

EDIT: Yeah, what Allegro said!

shanesny

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shanesny
wootcrap1 wrote:First I saw the title and the picture on the shirt and said, "ha, clever." Then I saw the Magritte refernece and said, "HA HA! CLEVER!"

I said "Ho, HO! More cleverer!" - so I am more better, because reasons.

The internet and intellect. Les Deux Mystères

tinachaffee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tinachaffee

IF this shirt was available in sizes for the moonier among us, I would gladly purchase it.

mckaysalisbury

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mckaysalisbury

Yeah, the text makes it awesome. Even though I've already got Know Your Moons, this one is better.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

I would have bought it without the star wars reference.seriously at 55 yo I'm so burned out on SW I never want to see or hear of it again.
And I waited in line hours for the originals.

Hoogs88

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hoogs88

I like the text - makes the shirt less boring. Unfortunately, I can't afford to be buying more Woot shirts...

choiceweb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages choiceweb

In for one. I haven't bought a t-shirt on here for quite awhile, but the mashup of Magritte and Star Wars is way too tempting.

lbryct

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbryct

How well does it wash?
Does the design die?

ogollyg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ogollyg
midori4 wrote:Same here to, i can't even tell what the text says.

IT's french for "that's no moon" FRENCH! *Le sigh* but for that I would have bought this shirt in a heartbeat...I had it in my cart before I noticed. sad.

emomie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emomie

My brother is a gigantic Star Wars nerd and is currently slogging his way through art school. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect shirt for him. Very excited to give it to him on his birthday.

j5

For the folks complaining about the text; Only wear it in the dark. Problem solved.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

This is wonderful and clever and you should be commended.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

I was thinking this today. Wouldn't this shirt be so much better with a different alternate theme. You could use the scene from the first science fiction movie director, Georges Méliès, and his "A Trip to the Moon". He was a trailblazer in his time like Lucas in this film and redefined space science fiction movies. And... he was french.