sharond95

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sharond95
ceoofaep wrote:The font is the same because it's (both) a reference to the Magritte painting =)

The link that Cataphract40 posted went to a picture like the one on the shirt today, not the pipe... That's why I was wondering if it was the same artist... it was the same picture.

komnumep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages komnumep
auctionsaver wrote:I was thinking this today. Wouldn't this shirt be so much better with a different alternate theme. You could use the scene from the first science fiction movie director, Georges Méliès, and his "A Trip to the Moon". He was a trailblazer in his time like Lucas in this film and redefined space science fiction movies. And... he was french.

Oh. I love that.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
komnumep wrote:Oh. I love that.

+1

mlgriggs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mlgriggs

In for three... This design is a great opportunity for a teaching moment with my 11-year old grandson. He's interested in languages, loves Star Wars, and lives in a rural area so he is able to enjoy the night sky.

I had bought 3 of the "Know Your Moons" hoodies for myself, my son, and my grandson and now 3 of these shirts. My grandson calls them our "triplet shirts" when I get one for each of us! I've bought like a dozen of the "Pterodactyl with a Machine Gun" shirts, just about every time I see them come up! My grandson is now on his third size of these!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

DAMMIT WOOT STOP BEING SO SMART & CLASSY! THIS IS TERRIBLE! I WANT MY SHINY BUNNIES!!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

zofer11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zofer11

I agree, no cheese eating surrender monkey gibber on my beloved Woot shirt collection!

jrutkowski wrote:This was the best shirt I've seen on woot in the longest time...and then I saw the french text at the bottom. Total Fail! I would have bought this in an instant without that gibberish. instead I would have to defend one of the most hated people on earth every time I wear this shirt? I think not!

Whoops I did it again : /

ArsenicDrone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ArsenicDrone

A warning for those who like the Magritte reference: people won't get it. I have a shirt from another website, which has the original text from the painting, and a Mario reference, and have worn it lots of times, including around a crowd of smart geek-nerds. The closest anyone's come to getting it is knowing one or the other of the references. I still hold out hope that someone will get both.

By the way, I like this Woot shirt, but I like that other one even better (and you can still buy it). The joke on the other one appeals to me a little more, and glow-in-the-dark makes for extra work when explaining the shirt.

mrmcmac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrmcmac
goblynn wrote:In for three--artsy or no, I love that:

1) it's Star Wars! how can I resist?
2) it glows.
3) being in French, it won't be readily guessed by just anyone I pass by.

My kids and I will be wearing these when we ride Star Tours at WDW. :D

That brings to my mind another (lower) level of reference in Star Wars.

"These are not the Droids you're looking for…"

"Ce ne sont pas les droïdes que vous recherchez ..." or something like that. (Babblefish - meh)

mrmcmac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrmcmac
jrutkowski wrote:This was the best shirt I've seen on woot in the longest time...and then I saw the french text at the bottom. Total Fail! I would have bought this in an instant without that gibberish. instead I would have to defend one of the most hated people on earth every time I wear this shirt? I think not!

While some do hate the French, I think a Global Poll would point you elsewhere, like home!

wootcrap1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootcrap1
ArsenicDrone wrote:A warning for those who like the Magritte reference: people won't get it. I have a shirt from another website, which has the original text from the painting, and a Mario reference, and have worn it lots of times, including around a crowd of smart geek-nerds. The closest anyone's come to getting it is knowing one or the other of the references. I still hold out hope that someone will get both.

Having to explain jokes has been the biggest thing holding me back from buying the majority of shirts on woot. I like this shirt so much that it would all be worth it.

absentminded

quality posts: 0 Private Messages absentminded
ArsenicDrone wrote:A warning for those who like the Magritte reference: people won't get it. I have a shirt from another website, which has the original text from the painting, and a Mario reference, and have worn it lots of times, including around a crowd of smart geek-nerds. The closest anyone's come to getting it is knowing one or the other of the references. I still hold out hope that someone will get both.

Is it perchance similar to this? Like someone said earlier (just went back and found the post from...craigthom), I'm also an engineer, and I'm surprised that few people seem to "get" this reference to Magritte. But I think people seem more familiar with the bowler hat and apple paintings than they are with the pipe painting.

freevortex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freevortex

My plan is to wear this around my college campus and see in which sector of the college universe this shirt gets the most recognition: over by the art students? On the engineering side of campus? Probably nowhere, but I get it and that's what counts.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
I was thinking this today. Wouldn't this shirt be so much better with a different alternate theme. You could use the scene from the first science fiction movie director, Georges Méliès, and his "A Trip to the Moon". He was a trailblazer in his time like Lucas in this film and redefined space science fiction movies. And... he was french.

komnumep wrote:Oh. I love that.

Thanks. I think if they had done that, it would have been up there with the all-timers like cookie monster, raven and such.

danncer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danncer
safyrejet wrote:
This shirt is awesome! And the French text is exactly what makes it work so well on multiple levels.

I rarely buy graphic tees, but I couldn't resist the use of the GitD ink to create such a clever and artistic design with text that makes the overall design that much more clever and witty. As a single gal, if a guy doesn't get at least one reference from this shirt, I know he's not dating material for me.

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a few t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

jalexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jalexan

Agreed- at first I thought people were just being sarcastic. This shirt was impossible for me to pass up since it appeals to both my love to surrealism and star wars.

Shinespark wrote:Such ignorance on Woot this evening. The writeup does all but directly explain it.

I find this extremely clever. Without the art reference this would be quite forgettable.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

As a successful shirt this is ticking a lot of boxes.
Congrats on the votes, the 1st place, the clever shirt and what I imagine will be very healthy sales Wirdou.

bluesplot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesplot

Not a huge fan of the text but there was no way I was going to let it stop me from getting this shirt! Actually, I had to buy three of them - one for each of my kids! They are so excited!

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 47.222s
First Sucker: aquakong
Last Wooter to Woot: leighballew
Last Purchase: a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 41% of Shirt Woots
Top 23% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 4750

First day sales 4750
First day posts 97

JeffQ

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JeffQ

I wasn't going to buy this shirt UNTIL I read the text. (If I hadn't been so busy today, I would've had time to poll my friends and family to see if they'd want one as well.) The Magritte reference is what makes it! In fact, for me, the glow-in-the-dark switch to the Death Star, although cool, is over-explaining the joke. Quel dommage that so many Wooters are actually annoyed by multicultural riffing.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
PixelPants wrote:As a successful shirt this is ticking a lot of boxes.
Congrats on the votes, the 1st place, the clever shirt and what I imagine will be very healthy sales Wirdou.

Very, very healthy sales. This is definitely in the Top 10 Debut Day Sales of the past year; it might be in the top 5.

Edit: It's actually the fifth highest Debut Day in the past year, fourth highest on Anvil (Consider Yourself Warned, Procrastination University, and Celebrate! Celebrate!). It's the third highest debut day sales for a Derby shirt behind Consider Yourself Warned and Procrastination University. Congratulations, Wirdou!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Thanks for the warning. It's a good thing for me that I buy and wear shirts because I like and get them. I don't really care if anyone else likes or gets them. I would imagine though that there have to be people out there who would get both references, both on this shirt and the Mario shirt. I mean look at how many of us on this forum thread get both.

danncer wrote: As a single gal, if a guy doesn't get at least one reference from this shirt, I know he's not dating material for me.

Ooh, good point. Bonus! Wearing this shirt helps in making dating material decisions.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
neuropsychosocial wrote:Very, very healthy sales. This is definitely in the Top 10 Debut Day Sales of the past year; it might be in the top 5.

Edit: It's actually the fifth highest Debut Day in the past year, fourth highest on Anvil (Consider Yourself Warned, Procrastination University, and Celebrate! Celebrate!). It's the third highest debut day sales for a Derby shirt behind Consider Yourself Warned and Procrastination University. Congratulations, Wirdou!

I feel really honored with the amazing sales!!! Thank you all again. Yesterday was a beautiful day!:D And now, back to work!:D

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

This is actually my third Magritte/ Star Wars mashup shirt as I have Midgerock's "These are not the droids"

and Blee's "son of man" inspiration.

move along

echineko

quality posts: 3 Private Messages echineko

I come to this in a more convoluted manner, having only found out about the painting from

this item:
not-a-pipe

In this game:
KoL

So count me out of the artistic snob segment, but yay star wars, yay roundabout KoL item reference :D

echineko

quality posts: 3 Private Messages echineko
wootcrap1 wrote:Having to explain jokes has been the biggest thing holding me back from buying the majority of shirts on woot. I like this shirt so much that it would all be worth it.

I decided long ago that I would only spend my cash on stuff I actually like (like my awesome Nidhogg shirt!)

So if someone doesn't get the reference, too bad, so sad, who cares? :D

cheeser1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheeser1

Got this in the mail. It looks great. But... made in Nicaragua? Since when? The more you tighten your grip, woot, the more customers will slip through your fingers.

I'm not happy about this change, and while some may not care, I'm sure I'm not alone. I've been wooting since 2003 or so, and this kind of a move is staggering.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

cheeser1 wrote:Got this in the mail. It looks great. But... made in Nicaragua? Since when? The more you tighten your grip, woot, the more customers will slip through your fingers.

I'm not happy about this change, and while some may not care, I'm sure I'm not alone. I've been wooting since 2003 or so, and this kind of a move is staggering.

Shirt.woot changed its shirt supplier back in February of 2012. To read more about it, please see here.

fgarriel

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fgarriel

I wore this to a glow-in-the-dark ceramics-painting birthday party. I had to explain the joke to everyone. I figured *someone* there would've known The Treachery of Images, but I was too optimistic.

fatnerdd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fatnerdd

I MUST have this shirt, how long is it going to be available? I need to wait a wee bit to accrue the necessary funding to support this awesome artist and their equally amazing art :D

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fatnerdd wrote:I MUST have this shirt, how long is it going to be available? I need to wait a wee bit to accrue the necessary funding to support this awesome artist and their equally amazing art :D

It will be available as long as it remains in our Top 20 selling shirts.

Once it drops off that, it won't be available in the back catalog as we can't digitally print specialty inks. So keep a watch on the Top 20.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

BSquared6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BSquared6

post office screwed up and i never got my shirt

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

BSquared6 wrote:post office screwed up and i never got my shirt

Give it a couple more days. If you still don't receive it, email support@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

BSquared6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BSquared6

i got it figured out, thanks!

fatnerdd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fatnerdd
krpan wrote:Bah... text makes it a lousy pretentious shirt, it could have been a great geeky shirt.

As others have said, would have bought it in a heartbeat if text was not in french. As it is ... no dice.

"To pač ni luna"

The limited perspectives that people hold never cease to amaze me, lol.

The layers of content that this shirt references are truly ones of intellect. If it wasn't in French, it wouldn't be referencing Magritte, it'd just be another nerdy shirt that provokes no thought. Just superficial face value.

Read a book.

humglass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humglass

Hi there; I'm interesting in buying the t-shirt but it's already sold out, is there any possibility that it will be avaible soon?
thanks

ethanleland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ethanleland

I would also be very interested in buying one of these, any chance that will be possible?

megatron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megatron

Come on reprint!

artdance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artdance

I love this shirt! Any chance it will come back into print soon?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

artdance wrote:I love this shirt! Any chance it will come back into print soon?

who can say?! it is a mystery for the ages.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ladyoftheword

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyoftheword

Can we get this printed in a ladies' tank someday?