WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Cookies, fresh baked or store bought?
  • 94.4% - Fresh baked! 1370
  • 5.6% - Store bought! 81
1451 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bdsmonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdsmonkey

best of both worlds: buy the premade cookie dough!

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

Fresh baked cookies are always nice, but there are certain kinds that you can only get in the store.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Fresh baked: you get to smell them baking. Store bought: no having to wash dishes after baking. Hmm, hard to call, it's close but I'll vote fresh baked and either way they have to be gluten free.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

Fresh baked. As long as someone else bakes them and does the dishes afterwards.

And if it's not too much of a bother, coffee too. Cream and sugar please. Thank you.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Fresh baked. Hands down. There aren't any store bought cookies that can't be made at home, and taste better.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

unless we're talking Oreos, not even the knock offs compete for taste there. But Chocolate chip, sugar, gingerbread, and so on; you can't beat fresh baked.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
Mavyn wrote:Fresh baked. Hands down. There aren't any store bought cookies that can't be made at home, and taste better.

I agree 100% and looking at the pole results thus far it seems better than 9 out of 10 agree also. I do have to make one exception once a year. Have to help those hard working girl scouts out by buying a few boxes of the mint cookies.

Mavyn

charliecarroll wrote:I agree 100% and looking at the pole results thus far it seems better than 9 out of 10 agree also. I do have to make one exception once a year. Have to help those hard working girl scouts out by buying a few boxes of the mint cookies.

I do both...I buy a couple boxes and give them to coworkers. For home consumption...I make my own.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

There is an old story that when Debbie Fields was starting out, a bank refused to lend her money because their research showed that people mostly bought crispy cookies, and not the warm chewy kind she wanted to sell.

It didn't occur to them that people were buying what was commonly available, and there was no product widely on the market like hers.

This is how most innovation is murdered in corporate America.

Mavyn

Speaking of cookies...

If anyone wanted to get a set of these for me, I would totally make 2 batches of cookies JUST FOR THEM.

Just saying.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
prttymf8 wrote:Fresh baked. As long as someone else bakes them and does the dishes afterwards.

My thoughts exactly.

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

Home made all the way...if they even make it into the oven. Usually, half the dough is consumed while the rest are baking.

You can't do that with store bought cookies. Also, the pre-made dough is gross raw.

The exception to the rule is Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. Then again, those don't count because they put crack in those cookies .

Mavyn

There was a study a while back showing that a ridiculous high percentage of all cookie dough sold was purchased by someone who intended to eat it raw. So now, almost all of it is made using pasteurized flour and eggs to reduce the odds of someone getting sick from eating raw packaged cookie dough.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

all of the above and more

hwalsh10284

Mavyn wrote:There was a study a while back showing that a ridiculous high percentage of all cookie dough sold was purchased by someone who intended to eat it raw. So now, almost all of it is made using pasteurized flour and eggs to reduce the odds of someone getting sick from eating raw packaged cookie dough.

I regularly buy a tube and comsume it prior to getting home similar to french fries but without the salt

hwalsh10284

safyrejet wrote:Fresh baked: you get to smell them baking. Store bought: no having to wash dishes after baking. Hmm, hard to call, it's close but I'll vote fresh baked and either way they have to be gluten free.

Old real estate trick. Put a pan with a couple of tablespoons of vanilla in the oven at 200. You get all the smell with none of the calories. Not that I ever did that at home but if you are doing an open house give it a try

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
Mavyn wrote:There was a study a while back showing that a ridiculous high percentage of all cookie dough sold was purchased by someone who intended to eat it raw. So now, almost all of it is made using pasteurized flour and eggs to reduce the odds of someone getting sick from eating raw packaged cookie dough.

Relevant:

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet
hwalsh10284 wrote:Old real estate trick. Put a pan with a couple of tablespoons of vanilla in the oven at 200. You get all the smell with none of the calories. Not that I ever did that at home but if you are doing an open house give it a try

Hmm, that does seem like it would smell good. Even better than vanilla candles.

I'm not at all concerned about calories though, so when I get a chance to do some fresh baking (at home with my Mom's awesome oven and counter space) I take it. Bonus is my Mom helps with the dishes.

evi11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evi11
Harui wrote:Fresh baked cookies are always nice, but there are certain kinds that you can only get in the store.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."-Albert Einstein

heartburnkid

quality posts: 4 Private Messages heartburnkid
bdsmonkey wrote:best of both worlds: buy the premade cookie dough!

Pre-made cookie dough broken into little square + toaster oven = fresh-baked cookies whenever you want. It's really amazing.

badlass

quality posts: 7 Private Messages badlass

You're missing the option for both! I enjoy baking cookies but there's some I really like buying... like those lovely Girl Guide chocolate covered goodness, mmm...

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

I'm disappointed by the lack of recipes in this thread.

Sooo... anyone happen to have a good recipe for thin, crispy gingerbread cookies with white glaze/frosting? I had some once that moaned the meaning of life resided within the angels copulating on my tastebuds, but it was at a potluck BBQ and I had no idea who made those divine cookies. I haven't found a similar-tasting recipe since.

And my vote is for homemade... unless it's macarons, in which case, I am a slave to La Duree and I have the most depraved, filthy, utterly delicious, soul-clarifying fantasies about their violet-fig macarons. Homemade macarons are fun and interesting to make, but I'm just not good enough (yet) to make anything even close to ascending to the actual Heavenly Realms that reside within a La Duree macaron. OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

tamsoony

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamsoony

Nothing like taking a fresh baked still steaming hot cookie from the stove and biting into it with an ice cold glass of almond milk.

rizaroni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rizaroni

Mmmm... .cookies! any kind will do!

Larisa

Mavyn

goldenthorn wrote:I'm disappointed by the lack of recipes in this thread.

Sooo... anyone happen to have a good recipe for thin, crispy gingerbread cookies with white glaze/frosting? I had some once that moaned the meaning of life resided within the angels copulating on my tastebuds, but it was at a potluck BBQ and I had no idea who made those divine cookies. I haven't found a similar-tasting recipe since.

I'll get back to you. I have one, but it's not something I carry with me.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:I'll get back to you. I have one, but it's not something I carry with me.

What? No "awesome recipe" trading card packs?

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:What? No "awesome recipe" trading card packs?

Not that I bring to work.

I've been banned from bringing in baked goods to work, and called 'evil' for sharing recipes unbidden. Once shared, the recipes force their way in to the subconscious and whisper caramelized enchantments, forcing the recipient to prepare them or go mad.

Once prepared, a variety of consequences have been reported. Some have reported changes in the behavior of friends and family. Previously generous and giving family members begin to lie, and steal, and hide the baked goods away. Others have reported blacking out, and experiencing some sugary nirvana that leaves them crippled and forever longing for another taste.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Not that I bring to work.

I've been banned from bringing in baked goods to work, and called 'evil' for sharing recipes unbidden. Once shared, the recipes force their way in to the subconscious and whisper caramelized enchantments, forcing the recipient to prepare them or go mad.

Once prepared, a variety of consequences have been reported. Some have reported changes in the behavior of friends and family. Previously generous and giving family members begin to lie, and steal, and hide the baked goods away. Others have reported blacking out, and experiencing some sugary nirvana that leaves them crippled and forever longing for another taste.

Ahhhh!
I see you have discovered the Bakeronomicon!

move along

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
j5 wrote:Ahhhh!
I see you have discovered the Bakeronomicon!

Cuupcakeu-Breada-Cookieto !!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."