1%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh

I love the concept!! But... I must admit to being confused by the one with glasses... I get all the others...

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Saturn says OM NOM NOM.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

alyssamc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alyssamc
tsukitensh wrote:I love the concept!! But... I must admit to being confused by the one with glasses... I get all the others...

I think it is Uranus, one of the oldest Greek gods. So he is depicted as an old planet.

lonelypond

quality posts: 450 Private Messages lonelypond

Love the face on Saturn. But you should also have put a ring on one or two of the others ; )

tsukitensh

For those with less mythology geekery:

Most of you probably know that Mars was the Roman god of war and Venus the Roman goddess of love.

Saturn (with the rings), known as Cronus in Greek, was the father of the six main gods. Gaea told him he would one day be overthrown by his child, so he swallowed all of his children as soon as they were born. Naturally, his wife was a bit miffed about this, so she gave him a rock instead of Jupiter (aka Zeus, the god of thunder and ruler of the gods). And then Jupiter grew up a kicked his butt, freeing his siblings.

The smaller planet being bullied by Jupiter is Neptune, god of the oceans, who actually was a great god in his own right... but is definitely a much smaller planet, so I guess that's why he looks nervous

Mercury/Hermes is the messenger of the gods, and is known for his staff, winged sandals, and winged helm.

Pluto is the god of death, but since it's no longer considered a planet (boooo!) I guess they locked him up.

So, I guess Uranus is the nerdy one with the glasses... not sure about that one. Uranus was the first lover of Gaea, the Earth. He was the sky. No, really. Next she married the oceans.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 98 Private Messages Thirdbase9

And poor Pluto got demoted, does this make him a Dwarf God now?

I don't know.

foooooote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foooooote
alyssamc wrote:I think it is Uranus, one of the oldest Greek gods. So he is depicted as an old planet.

yeah I just noticed the cane/walker thingy after you said that but Uranus suppose to have rings too so still a little confusing

nverian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nverian
tsukitensh wrote:I love the concept!! But... I must admit to being confused by the one with glasses... I get all the others...

Uranus is actually known as Father Sky - he's one of the older Gods and is connected, in some way, to most of them.

nverian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nverian
foooooote wrote:yeah I just noticed the cane/walker thingy after you said that but Uranus suppose to have rings too so still a little confusing

Uranus has rings, but they're really hard to see and fairly thin. My assumption is that because the rings are so young and they are so far from the planet (and many pictures do not show them) they were left out.

tsukitensh

nverian wrote:Uranus is actually known as Father Sky - he's one of the older Gods and is connected, in some way, to most of them.

I looked at the glasses held together with tape, and the bowtie, and thought classic nerd. Not sure how that fits. Perhaps one of the artists can enlighten us

lintile

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lintile

Am I the only one who expected a Battlestar reference with this title?

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

Once again Pluto plays the rejected child of the gods. Can't it play the roll of Hermes or something? Poor little guy...

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff
tsukitensh wrote:I looked at the glasses held together with tape, and the bowtie, and thought classic nerd. Not sure how that fits. Perhaps one of the artists can enlighten us

Anytime glasses are depicted on a Woot! shirt, it is required they are held together with tape. It's a rule, check it out in the formatting guide.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I am happy to see Pluto included, even if only in a supporting role.

snarejess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snarejess
lintile wrote:Am I the only one who expected a Battlestar reference with this title?

nope! i did too! lol, awesome show.

tsukitensh

bluejester wrote:Once again Pluto plays the rejected child of the gods. Can't it play the roll of Hermes or something? Poor little guy...

(Psst... Mercury is Hermes :D)

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

Love this shirt, the artistry, the intellectual-ness and the imagery!!!

I had a lot of fun looking at each planet (INCLUDING [our littlest one] PLUTO) and figuring them out.

Great job!!!!

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

Saturn, what a big mouth you have. All the better to eat you with... om nom nom

haha, Gaia is all hippy.

Most planetary names are based on the Roman names (Uranus it seems is the one exception) but I'm personally partial to the Greek mythology names. It feels a little like the English/Metric units battle, only over mythology names.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
tsukitensh wrote:I looked at the glasses held together with tape, and the bowtie, and thought classic nerd. Not sure how that fits. Perhaps one of the artists can enlighten us

He also has a walker and gray tufts of hair on his mostly bald planet head. I guess the glasses and bow tie were to signify age when seen as part of the whole little old man look.

lichme

quality posts: 3125 Private Messages lichme

After finding out I had been lied to for years about Pluto, I stopped trying to learn stuff.

vrubinst

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vrubinst

Saturn eating his children... should maybe be depicted with a gaping hole in his belly instead 'cause Neptune and Pluto are already out. Too gruesome?

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
tsukitensh wrote:(Psst... Mercury is Hermes :D)

*facepalm*

Now that's just embarrassing. Perhaps I am too tired from searching for a used car to be commenting on stuff. Especially when it is that obvious. Oh well, thanks anyways...

barthje

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barthje

another shirt about the planets....

cesium55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cesium55

Why is Venus blue?

dekulink

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dekulink

Reminds me of this shirt, which I happened to be wearing when I checked out today's shirt.woot!

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

[Recanted]

zinodaur

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zinodaur

Tricked me for a moment. Thought it was a Walmazan. Haha.

Linktoreality

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Linktoreality

For those still upset about Pluto's demotion, why not move to New Mexico? Pluto's still a planet here, by law!

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Thank you Woot for printing this collab!!:D Hope you all enjoy this both cute and didactic design XD And thanks to Harantula. It was a lot of fun!:D

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

And I'm gonna answer some questions

@dekulink it reminds you to family portrait cause as I wanted to make some kind of sequel I colored it the same way

About Uranus...it's the faher of Gods, a really old man. Bowties and glasses represented old people before hipsters and Matt Smith said they were cool!!!XDXDXD just kidding, but there you have the walking stick and the grey hair and eyebrows to clear it up

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

All heavenly bodies should have individualized helmets!

basric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basric

Argh....I'm supposed to be saving money not spending it...

But how can I resist this pull to my Mythology loves (though I admit I've always preferred the greek names myself)

Though Pluto looks like a pitiful god of death down there.

hmm I'll have to think on it some more.

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
cesium55 wrote:Why is Venus blue?

Oh good, I'm not the only one confused!

DivineAna

quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna

So, uh, Gaia's necklace is a Mercedes symbol, not a peace sign. I'm gonna assume that was a mistake...

bamaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bamaster
DivineAna wrote:So, uh, Gaia's necklace is a Mercedes symbol, not a peace sign. I'm gonna assume that was a mistake...

Pfft! Peace, love and stock dividends.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Love the colors and characterisation. Great design, guys!

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
Thirdbase9 wrote:And poor Pluto got demoted, does this make him a Dwarf God now?

I think the term is Demi-Planet.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit

WOOOOO! It happened! I asked and it happened!

;)

Awesome shirt guys!

Ogey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ogey
DivineAna wrote:So, uh, Gaia's necklace is a Mercedes symbol, not a peace sign. I'm gonna assume that was a mistake...

Either that or a comment on an Earthly duality of peace and consumerism.