TJMaximus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus
rfonewatt wrote:SYS64738 !!

Several years ago, when Myspace started giving out custom URLs, I got www.myspace.com/sys64738. When I tried to get it for Facebook, it was taken. FML.

10?"Welcome to Woot! Would you like three Bags of Crap?"
20 INPUT W$
30 IF LEFT$W$(1,0)="Y" THEN GOTO 60
40?"Enjoy the next ten minutes not being frustrated!"
50 END
60?"XYZZY Plugh nexus server error; please contact the administrator."

jeremycec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremycec

OK, so this was tested on an AppleSoft BASIC emulator here: http://www.calormen.com/applesoft/

TODO: Probably still needs a bit of work on the random number generation.

Enjoy!

0 REM /// GUESSING PROGRAM ///
10 HOME
20 PRINT "Welcome to my guessing game!
30 PRINT CHR$(10)
40 PRINT CHR$(7)
50 PRINT "I bet you can't guess the number I'm thinking of! It's between 1 and 10!"
60 REM need to set up Rnd here
70 LET X = INT(RND(1)*10)
80 REM PRINT X
90 LET G = 0
100 INPUT "What is your guess "; G
110 IF G > X THEN GOTO 140
120 IF G < X THEN GOTO 160
130 IF G = X THEN GOTO 180
140 PRINT "Nope! That's too high!"
150 GOTO 100
160 PRINT "Nope! That is too low!"
170 GOTO 100
180 REM DIM ZTR (1) AS STRING
190 INPUT "You got it! Try another? (Y/N)"; ZSTR$
200 IF LEFT$(ZSTR$,1) = "Y" THEN GOTO 30
210 PRINT "Goodbye."
220 END

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

10 print "awesome shirt"
20 goto 10

pfffft!

dashblastr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dashblastr
prncofdrknes wrote:Too young to have ever written anything in basic, but i have learned a lot from my dad who was one of few who knew Cobalt in the north east, at the time when cobalt started being used in business.

now i just write OOP stuff.

That would be COBOL, not Cobalt. You describe a metal rather than a Programming Language.

You young-uns . . .

(this from a COBOL/.NET programmer!)

- DashBlastR -

jeffledger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffledger

Oh, Magilla Gorilla!! A shirt that matches the "Pocket Mini Computer" project! Fun item! Still rock'n BASIC after all these years. It'll be fun to see reaction for this shirt.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
neuropsychosocial wrote:BASIC was the first and only computer language I learned to code! I really loved it, but my parents discouraged it because there was no future in writing computer code. Riiiight.

Odysseyroc, this is wonderful. I particularly love that the subtle reference to the Blue Screen of Death! Nice choice of color.

My long-lost brother! We did have an Apple II+ clone, but I didn't receive any education on programming or much encouragement when I was a kid, had to learn BASIC by reading the code. I learned a few more languages, though. Being an engineer, programming is required, but not my focus. I get to claim in my resume BASIC programming since 1981. :-)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Wow!
4 pages of comments....

This design really hit a soft spot for Wooters.

Congrats OdRoc!

move along

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 167 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

j5 wrote:Wow!
4 pages of comments....

This design really hit a soft spot for Wooters.

Congrats OdRoc!

infin8loop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infin8loop

I'm flashing back to 10th grade "computer class" circa '73-'74. The computer was a single teletypewriter with telephone acoustic coupler that probably ran at 150 baud on a good day.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
smolket wrote:This wasn't C64, this had to be Atari Basic....

Like so many others before you, wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C64_startup_animiert.gif

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Great design, Tony! I'll be picking one up for sure in honor of my long fallen C64 and for my love of the Doctor.

Dissonance

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Dissonance
jaimelobo wrote:I had the original Sinclair (not Timex) computer, the one that came as a kit. You had to actually solder parts onto the board to assemble it.

So, my mom made me deal back in...oh...1982 or so. She would buy me the kit version of the ZX81, and if I built it and it worked, she'd buy me a C64. DEAL!

Well, there was such a demand for the ZX81, that they sent me a put-together version for the same price. Most people would've been thrilled (and I loved the ZX81), but I really wanted the C64!

Mom was awesome. She made me a new deal. Make a large program that worked and she'd buy me the C64. In true nerd fashion, I design a D&D (2nd ed (so, AD&D)) character generator.

It was too big. My little ZX81 ran out of memory. My older brother came to the rescue! He said he'd enter my code into one of the computers at the high school (I was in middle school) and report back.

He reported that it worked great! I have no idea if it actually worked or not and I never asked. We drove to Sears and I got my C64.

But they also had a ZX Spectrum on display too....

infin8loop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infin8loop
dashblastr wrote:That would be COBOL, not Cobalt. You describe a metal rather than a Programming Language.

You young-uns . . .

(this from a COBOL/.NET programmer!)

LOL! I had taken a single COBOL class and had done quite well. I was at work one evening when a gal came over to my desk and said so-and-so said you know COBALT and can help me with my class. I told her I didn't know anything about radiation treatments. She probably went on to graduate and become someone's manager.

tubadude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tubadude

Here it is. It runs.

CLS
10 PRINT "Welcome to my guessing game! I bet you can't guess the number I'm thinking of! It's between 1 and 10!"
20 RANDOMIZE TIMER
x% = (RND * 9) + 1
30 INPUT "What is your guess >", guess%
IF guess% = 0 THEN END
IF guess% > x% THEN GOTO 40
IF guess% < x% THEN GOTO 50
IF guess% = x% THEN GOTO 60
40 PRINT "Nope! That is too high!"
GOTO 30
50 PRINT "Nope! That is too low!"
GOTO 30
60 PRINT "Uhhhhh. That's not right. Uhhhh, hold on a second..."
GOTO 20

bakntyme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakntyme

Four pages of posts, and no one has corrected the waste of memory due to the third conditional, which must always be true (if not greater than and not less than, must be equal to). When I learned programming 40 years ago, memory was expensive and programs had to be written to use the least possible. Anybody else here who built an Altair 8800, or programmed in Motorola Assembler Language? Try the below logic, though it has been so long since I programmed, I give no warranty on the syntax.

CLS
10 PRINT "Welcome to my guessing game! I bet you can't guess the number I'm thinking of! It's between 1 and 10!"
20 RANDOMIZE TIMER
x% = (RND * 9) + 1
31 IF guess% > x% THEN GOTO 40
32 IF guess% < x% THEN GOTO 50
33 PRINT "Uhhhhh. That's not right. Uhhhh, hold on a second..."
GOTO 20
GOTO 30
GOTO 30

Donna Battle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Donna Battle

*sigh* another shirt I'd snap up in an instant if it weren't for the typo.

I would order it and hope it gets corrected before being printed, but based on what happened here, that won't happen.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

This s a definite buy for me. I was never a programmer. But learned some programming as part of the computer maintenance courses. My first personal computer was an Adam. :-)
The only classic computer I still own and use on occasion is a Tandy model 102.

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321
bakntyme wrote:Four pages of posts, and no one has corrected the waste of memory due to the third conditional, which must always be true (if not greater than and not less than, must be equal to). When I learned programming 40 years ago, memory was expensive and programs had to be written to use the least possible. Anybody else here who built an Altair 8800, or programmed in Motorola Assembler Language? Try the below logic, though it has been so long since I programmed, I give no warranty on the syntax.

CLS
20 RANDOMIZE TIMER
x% = (RND * 9) + 1
33 PRINT "Uhhhhh. That's not right. Uhhhh, hold on a second..."
GOTO 20
GOTO 30
GOTO 30

Actually, someone did. Way back on page 1. There was even further discussion about it. (Sorry if I sound cranky... this discussion is interesting but I see lots of people repeating things that were already said as if they're providing new input. It's worse when someone even claims to have looked and is wrong.)

ssousa1214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssousa1214

1 CLEAR
15 a% = RND(-TIMER)
20 x% = (RND(1) * 10) + 1
30 INPUT "What is your guess >"; guess%
33 IF guess% = x% THEN GOTO 52
40 PRINT "Nope! That's too high!"
41 GOTO 30
50 PRINT "Nope! That's too low!"
51 GOTO 30
52 PRINT "BAM! That's right."
60 INPUT "So...want to play again?(y/n)"; ans$
65 IF ans$ = "y" THEN GOTO 15
70 IF ans$ = "n" THEN GOTO 80
75 PRINT "You know I don't speak Spanish!"
76 GOTO 60
80PRINT "LATERZ"

sqldocdan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sqldocdan
ThunderThighs wrote:WITHOUT GOOGLE, who remembers what BASIC stands for?

Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

Woody1

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woody1

CLS
10 PRINT "Would you like a bag of crap?"
20 INPUT "Y or N>", answer%
21 IF answer% = Y% THEN GOTO 30
22 IF answer% = N% THEN GOTO 10
30 PRINT "HTTP 500 - Internal server error, hold on a second..."
GOTO 10

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
psm321 wrote:You're misremembering. Pretty much every BASIC (including the Apple that you mention) did/does automatically print newlines and you have to go to special measures to suppress them, usually a semicolon at the end of the line.

Oh man, you're right.. I tested it and I had it backwards. Haven't done anything with any BASIC since the late '70s/early 80's so I'm not too surprised :P

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

bakntyme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakntyme
psm321 wrote:Actually, someone did. Way back on page 1. There was even further discussion about it. (Sorry if I sound cranky... this discussion is interesting but I see lots of people repeating things that were already said as if they're providing new input. It's worse when someone even claims to have looked and is wrong.)

Look again at the post on page 1. That poster recommended removing the conditional but leaving in the GOTO. I rearranged the lines of code to also eliminate the GOTO, saving memory and processing time.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
infin8loop wrote:LOL! I had taken a single COBOL class and had done quite well. I was at work one evening when a gal came over to my desk and said so-and-so said you know COBALT and can help me with my class. I told her I didn't know anything about radiation treatments. She probably went on to graduate and become someone's manager.

I had a female manager once.

I don't think she knew much about the technical aspects of our work, but she was one of our best bosses. I don't think any of the employees had any problems with her.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Here's a BASH version in case anyone is interested:

#!/bin/bash
clear
NUM=$[1+$[RANDOM%9]]
while :
do
read -p "Choose a number between 1 and 10> " GUESS
if [ $GUESS -lt $NUM ]; then
echo -e "Too low.. try again.\n"
elif [ $GUESS -gt $NUM ]; then
echo -e "Too high.. try again.\n"
elif [ $GUESS -eq $NUM ]; then
echo -e "You guessed it!\n"
exit 0
fi
done

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

jemrkr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jemrkr
narquespamley wrote:Wow, that's a fancy BASIC dialect. My first BASIC machine had 16k 12-bit words of core memory shared across 4 ASR-33 teletypes, and we saved programs on paper tape. Good days.

I remember paper tape. I remember you had to be careful not to touch your eyes after handling it because it had some kind of oily coating that was irritating.

narquespamley wrote:The CDC PLATO system had email, discussion forums, instant messaging, and massively multiplayer graphic gaming in the 1970's. Though only at a few universities.

I went to one of those universities. The University of Illinois. That was a great place to study computer science. I loved playing on PLATO.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 1m 8.999s
First Sucker: erix0r
Last Wooter to Woot: emeraldgreen
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 42% of Shirt Woots
Top 36% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 1075

First day sales 1075
First day posts 145

dand2400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dand2400
narquespamley wrote:That's nothing. The CDC PLATO system had email, discussion forums, instant messaging, and massively multiplayer graphic gaming in the 1970's. Though only at a few universities.

And it had a great RPG dungeon game!

bjoberludde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjoberludde

Just received mine! 13 days after I placed the order, but I live on the other side of the pond so guess it's not that bad Love it! (Pond = North Atlantic ;)

nightdriver

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nightdriver
Renratca wrote:Anyone remember the chose your own adventure type books where you had to make a program in basic to solve the mystery?

codename: orion!