madamdefarge

quality posts: 4 Private Messages madamdefarge

Hi everyone,
I'm a grad student doing a study on the way Woot.com members communicate in Woot's online forums, and I would really appreciate your help! Part of the study involves interviewing forum members to get a well-rounded perspective on what communication is like in the forums. If you are age 18 or older and would like to participate in an interview for this study, send me a PM so I can make contact with you.

If you have any questions about participating or about the study itself, feel free to message me or comment below.

Thanks for your help!
madamdefarge

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I'd highly recommend that no one participate in this research until we have more answers. It's generally bad form to require participants in online research to request a link, and and it's very unusual to post in a privately-owned forum without a statement of approval from the owner, so my antenna are on alert here.

to the OP: I've done research on online communities, so both me and my students have been in your shoes before! Some folks over on deals.woot have raised valid concerns about the purpose of your study, what data you're collecting, and whether/how confidentiality and anonymity will be protected.

If you could post your informed consent, that would answer a number of those questions.

If the OP is unable or unwilling to post his/her informed consent statement publicly, that's an enormous red flag.

(crossposted with the OP's post on deals.woot)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

madamdefarge

neuropsychosocial wrote:I'd highly recommend that no one participate in this research until we have more answers. It's generally bad form to require participants in online research to request a link, and and it's very unusual to post in a privately-owned forum without a statement of approval from the owner, so my antenna are on alert here.

to the OP: I've done research on online communities, so both me and my students have been in your shoes before! Some folks over on deals.woot have raised valid concerns about the purpose of your study, what data you're collecting, and whether/how confidentiality and anonymity will be protected.

If you could post your informed consent, that would answer a number of those questions.

If the OP is unable or unwilling to post his/her informed consent statement publicly, that's an enormous red flag.

(crossposted with the OP's post on deals.woot)

(Crossposted from deals.woot)

1.) Your concern is valid, though I would prefer not to set up a public site with the informed consent form since it has my personal contact information listed. I don't mind at all letting participants (or potential participants) have access to this info, but I hope you can understand why I wouldn't want it to be public. I think it's reasonable to limit that info to those who are serious about participating. 2.) I recruited research participants on Woot forums back in 2009, with the approval of Woot powers-that-be, but the mods are welcome to delete this thread here or at deals.woot if this is a violation.

In any case, anyone interested in participating can contact me & get a copy of the informed consent form so they can decide whether or not to participate.

aaronhenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronhenry

If people don't want to participate, nobody is twisting your arm. Be logical... they aren't asking you to ship anything to Nigeria or confirm credit card information (at least THAT would be a true red flag, IMO).

He/she wants some grassroots feedback for some homework. Perhaps the research would be best done personally but I tutor college students already; this is hardly different.

Ultimately, we are:
1) helping a STUDENT.
2) helping a fellow Wooter.
3) participating in an interesting project.

I studied critical discourse analysis (CDA) and rhetorical strategies in international audiences and would gladly provide my analysis of this speech community. He/she is allowed to protect themself online and his/her Woot rep speaks for itself if you ask me.

madamdefarge

Hey everyone! Just figured I'd check in one last time to see if anyone else is interested in being interviewed for this study. Send me a PM if you're interested or would like more information, and I'll send you a link to the informed consent form.

Thanks for your help!