rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Has there ever been a non winning derby design that was printed out of the blue in that 60 days? Is it just to maintain a sense of wootness?

I've noticed an artist with fairly regular daily prints throw up their derby entries on another voting site about a week after the derby ends. Do you guys give permission or is this 60 day thing more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules?

I've been here long enough that I accept it without much thought. But I'm just curious. It's pretty much just etiquette right?

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
rasabi wrote:Has there ever been a non winning derby design that was printed out of the blue in that 60 days? Is it just to maintain a sense of wootness?

I've noticed an artist with fairly regular daily prints throw up their derby entries on another voting site about a week after the derby ends. Do you guys give permission or is this 60 day thing more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules?

I've been here long enough that I accept it without much thought. But I'm just curious. It's pretty much just etiquette right?

I understand what you mean. I always respect the 60-day-hold (well I didn't once a long time ago...cause I didn't know about it...but someone warned me and I've respected it since then), but sometimes seeing that other designers don't really care about it, I just wonder if it makes a difference.

I keep saying to myself...woot will take that into account.. but I'm not sure about it (not to blame..I just don't think they're out there checking all the other sites and seeing which designers respect the guidelines and which don't....

But I'm not that concerned about the 60-day-hold...as much as the getting an HM-waiting for the double take derby, etc...cause lately HM are not as regular as they used to be....double take derbies delay a few weeks...and sometimes you cannot send your design anywhere else for more than 3 months :S

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

The 60 day thing is in the contract you agree to upon submission. Many artists ignore it (if they even read it) and I have yet to see Woot pursue it, even when old derby entries are actually printed at other sites within the 60 day hold.

It's just one of those things, I guess.

move along

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

Tjost's Misfortune was still within the 60 day hold when it printed during the 4-year anniversary prints. I'm not sure if Woot checked with him or not on availability despite their license window.

I see artists ignoring hold periods all over the place and I agree it's one of the more frustrating aspects of the t-shirt game. You almost feel like you're being penalized for following the rules when you see others being rewarded when they ignore them.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
rasabi wrote:I've noticed an artist with fairly regular daily prints throw up their derby entries on another voting site about a week after the derby ends.

who and where? perhaps this person is just not aware of the hold and needs to be informed.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
kevlar51 wrote:Tjost's Misfortune was still within the 60 day hold when it printed during the 4-year anniversary prints. I'm not sure if Woot checked with him or not on availability despite their license window.

I see artists ignoring hold periods all over the place and I agree it's one of the more frustrating aspects of the t-shirt game. You almost feel like you're being penalized for following the rules when you see others being rewarded when they ignore them.

They did email me about it to see if it was ok. Also I can't remember off hand which designs but they have asked artists to remove designs up before the 60 days at other sites, it was on threadless if I remember right.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

I know what you mean. I feel punished when someone else cuts in line while I wait patiently. I feel punished every time I go the speed limit and someone speeding goes faster without being caught. I feel punished every time I don't lie on my taxes while other people rampantly do. I feel punished every time I pay for a car when other people steal them and don't get caught...

OK, maybe not. We shouldn't let other people's violation of the laws or rules affect our following of the rules or how we feel about ourselves. If you aim to only do what the lowest denominator does, you will succeed every time [/sarcastic rant].

There have been multiple times when someone within the 60 day hold was printed, by the way. It's not a regular occurrence, but it has happened.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

I'm in the same boat as Wirdou where I did it once early on before I realized it was a nono...

I was initially confused because my daily rejections came with the "feel free to pitch elsewhere" note attached so I guess I assumed losers from derbies who didn't get hm's were gtg...

I sort of wonder sometimes if I secretly violated woot's trust and they insta-reject every rad idea I send them... Then again, I realize that's likely me trying to feel better about my vast and growing pile of failed t-shirt pitches... ;)

wirdou

oakenspirit wrote:I'm in the same boat as Wirdou where I did it once early on before I realized it was a nono...

I was initially confused because my daily rejections came with the "feel free to pitch elsewhere" note attached so I guess I assumed losers from derbies who didn't get hm's were gtg...

I sort of wonder sometimes if I secretly violated woot's trust and they insta-reject every rad idea I send them... Then again, I realize that's likely me trying to feel better about my vast and growing pile of failed t-shirt pitches... ;)

Don't worry the conspiracy-paranoia affects everyone (at least I've "suffered" from it!)in a spell of bad luck. But then you realize that it's the worst way to deal with that "bad luck". It's easier to look for outside reasons than realizing that you have to work harder, improve and read the market better. It happened to me several times but luckily I finally pushed myself and succeeded For sure most t-shirt sites have favorite designers, which I totally understand. However...I think blacklists are just in our heads... XDXD

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
wirdou wrote:Don't worry the conspiracy-paranoia affects everyone (at least I've "suffered" from it!)in a spell of bad luck. But then you realize that it's the worst way to deal with that "bad luck". It's easier to look for outside reasons than realizing that you have to work harder, improve and read the market better. It happened to me several times but luckily I finally pushed myself and succeeded For sure most t-shirt sites have favorite designers, which I totally understand. However...I think blacklists are just in our heads... XDXD

Heh- no worries... my tongue was well fixed in cheek.

I do feel that most of my ideas are in slight fringe territory as far as marketability goes but perhaps I'm slowly honing in...

Thanks wirdou

wirdou

oakenspirit wrote:Heh- no worries... my tongue was well fixed in cheek.

I do feel that most of my ideas are in slight fringe territory as far as marketability goes but perhaps I'm slowly honing in...

Thanks wirdou

nono, don't get me wront....my words were more like an "I understand you"