cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

I had a great idea... but it turns out that the likeness/image of a Rubik's cube is legally locked down pretty tight and I didn't want to step on any trademarked toes..... back to the drawing board.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
no1 wrote:

yeah, i can see where the tablet has opened up his drawering horizons!

or this.

move along

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
no1 wrote:

yeah, i can see where the tablet has opened up his drawering horizons!

That was completely unnecessary. Not cool.

For the test of you, I'm a big believer in the monoprice tablets. Mine has been a work horse. My tablet usually gets used 60-80 hours per week. It took a little while to get used to the way it feels compared to the Wacom, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars a comparable Wacom tablet would cost.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:or this.

your point would be better served with an example that is not a collab.

oroc used to drawer a lot moar. i think the cheep tablet has driven him to enter very text-heavy designs lately.

no1

odysseyroc wrote: I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars a comparable Wacom tablet would cost.

used ones don't cost hundreds.

no1

odysseyroc wrote:That was completely unnecessary. Not cool.

what's not cool? the fact that i miss the stuff you used to draw?

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Hmmm, I leave work at 5 so I can work on a derby design, and then I leave my tablet there. Oh well, it's probably for the best, considering I've never done better than 13th.

j5

no1 wrote:oroc used to drawer a lot moar. i think the cheep tablet has driven him to enter very text-heavy designs lately.

think outside the Woot. I don't have access to the man's monoprice-portfolio.

move along

greystone9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9
odysseyroc wrote:

For the test of you, I'm a big believer in the monoprice tablets. Mine has been a work horse. My tablet usually gets used 60-80 hours per week. It took a little while to get used to the way it feels compared to the Wacom, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars a comparable Wacom tablet would cost.

I was wondering how they compared to a Wacom. Everyone I know who bought a Monoprice hadn't ever used a Wacom before, so they couldn't tell me what it was like in comparison. They all loved the Monoprice though.

I think they're at about Intuos3 generation levels aren't they?

odysseyroc

no1 wrote:what's not cool? the fact that i miss the stuff you used to draw?

Not cool that you make assumptions about me and why I do what I do.

odysseyroc

greystone9 wrote:I was wondering how they compared to a Wacom. Everyone I know who bought a Monoprice hadn't ever used a Wacom before, so they couldn't tell me what it was like in comparison. They all loved the Monoprice though.

I think they're at about Intuos3 generation levels aren't they?

The pressure sensitivity is a bit softer on the Wacom, and the surface of the monoprice feels a little slicker. But other than that I don't notice any real dufference.

This review is what got me to try the mono. http://frenden.com/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could/

greystone9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9
odysseyroc wrote:The pressure sensitivity is a bit softer on the Wacom, and the surface of the monoprice feels a little slicker. But other than that I don't notice any real dufference.

This review is what got me to try the mono. http://frenden.com/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could/

This sounds like an awesome way for me to upgrade to a larger surface!

Draike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike

Sketched a few things this afternoon. Looking for opinions on this one - the different courtship rituals of various birds. ;)

odysseyroc

greystone9 wrote:This sounds like an awesome way for me to upgrade to a larger surface!

I figured for the price, if I hated it, it wouldn't be too big of a loss. Turns out, I love it.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Wait... does this mean no limit to colors?

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
writermist wrote:Wait... does this mean no limit to colors?

If you mean quantity of colors, no, it doesn't mean that. It's still six.

Nothing follows.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart

Here's what I've got cooking...

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
odysseyroc wrote:I figured for the price, if I hated it, it wouldn't be too big of a loss. Turns out, I love it.

Absolutely in agreement with Odysseyroc, here. I used to have a Wacom (4x5; $99). Eventually I decided I wanted to try something bigger, but couldn't afford it. Then I found Monoprice and was able to afford one twice the size for only around $50. The only (small) downside for me is that the pen needs a battery and makes it a little heavier than a Wacom's pen. It lasts *forever* though and is easy to get used to.

For someone who is tight on cash but wants to design with a tablet, I'd highly recommend it. And I don't exactly have the greatest of examples of my own work, but if you google 'monoprice' and 'artist' you can look at a few examples of what these tablets are capable of.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Really appreciate all the input in this thread. Playing with a friends tab tonight... WOW- Definitely buying one asap.

odysseyroc

marzipanapple wrote:Absolutely in agreement with Odysseyroc, here. I used to have a Wacom (4x5; $99). Eventually I decided I wanted to try something bigger, but couldn't afford it. Then I found Monoprice and was able to afford one twice the size for only around $50. The only (small) downside for me is that the pen needs a battery and makes it a little heavier than a Wacom's pen. It lasts *forever* though and is easy to get used to.

For someone who is tight on cash but wants to design with a tablet, I'd highly recommend it. And I don't exactly have the greatest of examples of my own work, but if you google 'monoprice' and 'artist' you can look at a few examples of what these tablets are capable of.

Here are a few comic book pages I colored with my tablet.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

Break Free (Megamorphosis)

Finished. 2 colors on brown (reddish halftone on orange).

See previous post for inspiration/meaning.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
odysseyroc wrote:Here are a few comic book pages I colored with my tablet.

I'm always so impressed with your work, Tony. Simply amazing and so professional!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
oakenspirit wrote:Really appreciate all the input in this thread. Playing with a friends tab tonight... WOW- Definitely buying one asap.

You won't regret it! I got one last year (based on OdRoc's recommendation, he should start working on commission) and I love it.
Oh, and OdRoc? Those are flippin' amazing.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
PixelPants wrote:What would it take for us to be able to see new tgentry designs?

I second this.

odysseyroc

cdrewlow wrote:You won't regret it! I got one last year (based on OdRoc's recommendation, he should start working on commission) and I love it.
Oh, and OdRoc? Those are flippin' amazing.

Thanks, dude. I've been really lucky lately, to be teamed up with good pencilers on good projects.

As far as the tablets go, I love nice things, but I also really love cheap things. It think it's great to get a quality tablet for a crazy cheap price. It also makes you wonder what the heck Wacom is doing with their pricing.

oakenspirit

Draike wrote:Sketched a few things this afternoon. Looking for opinions on this one - the different courtship rituals of various birds. ;)

This is a clever idea and I can't wait to see it further developed-
I like the style of the birds.

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:

See previous post for inspiration/meaning.

MUCH richer on the brown... lovely design man. the mega in the title throws me- I'd coin it Contramorphosis to go with the meaning you are summoning... ;)

oakenspirit

odysseyroc wrote:Thanks, dude. I've been really lucky lately, to be teamed up with good pencilers on good projects.

As far as the tablets go, I love nice things, but I also really love cheap things. It think it's great to get a quality tablet for a crazy cheap price. It also makes you wonder what the heck Wacom is doing with their pricing.

I am of the same mindset-

Your pages are wonderful man- SUCH COLOR.

oakenspirit

brockart wrote:Here's what I've got cooking...

Roasted Worm! SUper cute design- would buy for my daughter!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

F***. |3 Fable's still out of town. This would be a good week to take part. Ah well. Good luck to everyone. And as always, foxes? ;3

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
ste7enl wrote:

Really glad to see this on brown instead of green! I don't care what the name is, but agree that contramorphis makes sense. and I like this version better than the 3rd one you posted.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Worth pursuing? It'll have ornaments and banners and what not. I just want to see if the idea is funny enough to keep working on.

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:MUCH richer on the brown... lovely design man. the mega in the title throws me- I'd coin it Contramorphosis to go with the meaning you are summoning... ;)

I appreciate that, thanks. The title was silly, im probably just going to call it "Break Free."

I did this version as well to add some texture and depth to the image

ste7enl

orabbit wrote:Worth pursuing? It'll have ornaments and banners and what not. I just want to see if the idea is funny enough to keep working on.

could be fun depending on how well you handle the type

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 92 Private Messages Thirdbase9

But I am an identical twin.

I don't know.

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh

Normally, when the derby is released I grab a pencil 'n' paper and start making lists. Then, move onto my pencil sketch. Once refined, I use a dip pen from the 1800's and ink my drawing, scan, clean up, and color. Plus, I really love (have a problem with) collecting old vintage stuff. Please let me know what you think about this entry I brought back to life.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got (knowing full well the general aversion to creme, it seems appropriate given that it's the paper color I've been using for these for the past five years):

derby 300 by Ape Lad, on Flickr
--the signature won't be there, obvsly--

Also: OdRoc, you're awesome.

Ray Frenden is an amazing resource when it comes to tablet reviews (and an amazing artist). Check out his youtube channel for hands on reviews.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

So far this is what I have come up with. I call it Rip Free

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
ApeLad wrote:

Hey, those qatz look familiar...

Totally love the design and the message, but....

...creme? Ouch.

j5

odysseyroc wrote:Here are a few comic book pages I colored with my tablet.

Sploosh.

move along