tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

This could be and should be a great derby. Originality being the keyword in this derby.

Remember these 10 things: ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY, ORIGINALITY!

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula

Oh My! Flying Guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o.O

bigfoot1107

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoot1107

I always have loved the line Linus used in reply to Lucy when she pointed out that giants were 14 feet tall: "Well, I'm a giant among lesser men."

bigfoot1107

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoot1107
bigfoot1107 wrote:I always have loved the line Linus used in reply to Lucy when she pointed out that giants were 14 feet tall: "Well, I'm a giant among lesser men."

RE: Orabbit's World's Shortest Giant design.

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

Got an idea, so I thought I'd post my sketch. It won't be there today at noon, but hopefully tomorrow morning. Thinking of call it "A suit for every occasion"

Best of luck to everyone!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Okay, Patrickspens... you can't have ALL the tablets.
But yea, wow... so many awesome entries. O.O

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

I wonder if this derby will bring -ALL- the old fogies (like me)out of the woodwork. It's been -YEARS- since my last derby submission.

keyser520

nblottie wrote:Got an idea, so I thought I'd post my sketch. It won't be there today at noon, but hopefully tomorrow morning. Thinking of call it "A suit for every occasion"

Best of luck to everyone!

Not quite sure the "suit for every occasion" link is.. but I really like the style

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
ochopika wrote:Okay, Patrickspens... you can't have ALL the tablets.
But yea, wow... so many awesome entries. O.O

I agree, a lot of good stuff, but also it seems like a lot are stretching to be on theme. I wonder if we'll see any "off-topic" rejections?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
orabbit wrote:I agree, a lot of good stuff, but also it seems like a lot are stretching to be on theme. I wonder if we'll see any "off-topic" rejections?

Nope. It's a free-for-all.

move along

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got (knowing full well the general aversion to creme, it seems appropriate given that it's the paper color I've been using for these for the past five years):

derby 300 by Ape Lad, on Flickr

Love!

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

I have not entered derby in a long time. I notice now there are much less votes. What happened?

Anyway, my entry for this derby:
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/70749/o-s-es

manda22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manda22

ive been a watcher here for a while, always coming up with little designs but never feeling confident enough to enter anything, but i absolutely love the theme this time ^-^ i think im finally going to enter. so many ideas, which to pick lol

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
radiomode wrote:I have not entered derby in a long time. I notice now there are much less votes. What happened?

Changes in the past year meant customers aren't returning to buy or vote.

As far as I know, yesterday's 208 is the lowest vote count ever for a first place derby winner.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
j5 wrote:Nope. It's a free-for-all.

Bummer. You called it though. Sigh.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
odysseyroc wrote:That was completely unnecessary. Not cool.

For the test of you, I'm a big believer in the monoprice tablets. Mine has been a work horse. My tablet usually gets used 60-80 hours per week. It took a little while to get used to the way it feels compared to the Wacom, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't spend the hundreds of dollars a comparable Wacom tablet would cost.

First. I agree not cool. Odysseyroc does a ton of stuff that is not just here on Woot. As you can see from the samples he posted, he does a lot of work... I'm just thankful he works with some of us smaller folks sometimes!

As for the Monoprice... it works just as a well as a Wacom, but it does take a bit to get used to if you've used a Wacom before. I have a Monoprice, a Cintiq 12 and a Samsung Slate. I prefer the Slate myself as well as does Fishface... who recommended it. But that is a heavier price than even the Cintiq.

I personally love being able to draw directly on the screen. It's still a bit of a learning process but I feel like I have more control than the hand to eye thing with the Monoprice. But again, you cannot beat the price.

palaguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palaguin

I wish I could draw well enough to enter...I have a great idea for this derby: a Penguin Spelunker. (Other penguins what to get off the ground, this penguin seeks to be even closer to it).

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
grrlmarvel wrote:First. I agree not cool. Odysseyroc does a ton of stuff that is not just here on Woot. As you can see from the samples he posted, he does a lot of work... I'm just thankful he works with some of us smaller folks sometimes!

As for the Monoprice... it works just as a well as a Wacom, but it does take a bit to get used to if you've used a Wacom before. I have a Monoprice, a Cintiq 12 and a Samsung Slate. I prefer the Slate myself as well as does Fishface... who recommended it. But that is a heavier price than even the Cintiq.

I personally love being able to draw directly on the screen. It's still a bit of a learning process but I feel like I have more control than the hand to eye thing with the Monoprice. But again, you cannot beat the price.

Yup, I LOVE my Slate! All the joys of drawing on the screen like the Wacom with the portability of a fully functional laptop. That said, I'd still love a Wacom sitting on my desk. ;)

geekincarnadine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geekincarnadine

I kinda liked that it was a free-for-all, but it's hard to keep up with looking through all the designs! Not exactly a surprise given the prizes.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Thirdbase9

I am saddened by this, most of those submissions say nothing about being different.

I don't know.

keyser520

What's the current status of entry time vs. best chance for votes? Obviously, the sooner the better...but what's the cut-off point of no return after which a design can't win, no matter how much it overflows with awesomeness?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
keyser520 wrote:What's the current status of entry time vs. best chance for votes? Obviously, the sooner the better...but what's the cut-off point of no return after which a design can't win, no matter how much it overflows with awesomeness?

Anything is possible, if a design really stands out it can get the votes even if it's submitted right down to the wire, but it gets exponentially harder day by day.

This week you only need to make it to 7th place to print... but the sheer number of entries makes that quite a challenge. In a typical derby though you always have a shot at 3rd place because it's an Editor's Choice pick.

anewleaf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anewleaf
Spiritgreen wrote:Anything is possible, if a design really stands out it can get the votes even if it's submitted right down to the wire, but it gets exponentially harder day by day.

This week you only need to make it to 7th place to print... but the sheer number of entries makes that quite a challenge. In a typical derby though you always have a shot at 3rd place because it's an Editor's Choice pick.

So 3rd is not decided by votes, but by Woot?

..... yeah .....

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
anewleaf wrote:So 3rd is not decided by votes, but by Woot?

Well, officially it's decided by woot, but more often than not they print the third place shirt.

Nothing follows.

manda22

i might sound a bit stupid here but i cant seem to find the answer anywhere >.< how many times can we enter? its just once per derby im guessing?

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa

love how a derby about originality is full of pop-culture bs

taternuggets

manda22 wrote:i might sound a bit stupid here but i cant seem to find the answer anywhere >.< how many times can we enter? its just once per derby im guessing?

You can enter as many different designs as you'd like.

Nothing follows.

manda22

taternuggets wrote:You can enter as many different designs as you'd like.

thank you so much! ^-^

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I just finished this but I don't know on what color I should put it on.
Also should I add words like
"Yeah... I'm THAT guy!"

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I have two ideas.
Which should i enter tomorrow?

geekincarnadine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geekincarnadine
writermist wrote:I just finished this but I don't know on what color I should put it on.
Also should I add words like
"Yeah... I'm THAT guy!"

Colors are limited this week. How's it look on navy (might not work but worth checking) or grass?

I think it speaks for itself, no additional words needed.

Randyotter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Randyotter

The two designs in the top 9 that look like they were made in microsoft word, must feel like a punch in the stomach having to potentially gift them incredible drawing tablets.

taternuggets

Randyotter wrote:The two designs in the top 9 that look like they were made in microsoft word, must feel like a punch in the stomach having to potentially gift them incredible drawing tablets.

And week in and week out, all we ever submit looks like it could be created in microsoft word.

Nothing follows.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I designed mine in TextEdit, on a mac.

Randyotter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Randyotter

Two culprits comment straight away, guilty consciences? I am not going to sugarcoat it, the designs are poor and inherently lazy. You can't even argue that the slogans are covering new imaginative ground having seen similar slogans printed/submitted in the past.

You make the point that you do not submit this sort of design every week, so why of all weeks submit something like this when such prizes are up for grabs, just looks like you are trying to make a quick buck which seems rather insulting to other people putting in time and effort.

I assume your response will be something along the lines of "well if it gets the most votes then it is good and should win" Well that is incorrect and I think we as designers have a certain responsibility to try and create cool products that do not treat the consumers like Tin Mans who will only understand and enjoy extremely basic designs.

taternuggets

Randyotter wrote:Two culprits comment straight away, guilty consciences? I am not going to sugarcoat it, the designs are poor and inherently lazy. You can't even argue that the slogans are covering new imaginative ground having seen similar slogans printed/submitted in the past.

You make the point that you do not submit this sort of design every week, so why of all weeks submit something like this when such prizes are up for grabs, just looks like you are trying to make a quick buck which seems rather insulting to other people putting in time and effort.

I assume your response will be something along the lines of "well if it gets the most votes then it is good and should win" Well that is incorrect and I think we as designers have a certain responsibility to try and create cool products that do not treat the consumers like Tin Mans who will only understand and enjoy extremely basic designs.

So basically, if I understand you correctly, I cannot count on your vote?

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Randyotter wrote:The two designs in the top 9 that look like they were made in microsoft word, must feel like a punch in the stomach having to potentially gift them incredible drawing tablets.

I'm sure OdRoc would put his to good use.
TaterNuggets will probably just flip it on eBay, so keep an eye out.

move along

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
j5 wrote:I'm sure OdRoc would put his to good use.
TaterNuggets will probably just flip it on eBay, so keep an eye out.

I hear he has a wobbly table that needs leveling.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

It's Woot's fault for not enforcing a theme and allowing slogan shirts in the first place. OF COURSE slogans and pop culture and cute were going to win, that's what always wins if you let it. People are predictable, even when it's just a fraction of our former voting base.

As was said earlier, at least OdRoc would put one to good use, and Taternuggets is a funny community member (or something). It could be worse.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

taternuggets

Ok, for the record, I do use a tablet for almost every derby... you may not be able to tell that from the finished product, but I would certainly use the crap out of a new one.

Unless I trade it for blow.

Nothing follows.