zkentvt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zkentvt
alyman wrote:Really? The fact that not all paths return a value would bother me more.

Haha I came into the discussion to point that out.

you++;

zkentvt

Milquetoast wrote:This is an interesting shirt.

What it says to non-developers: "Hey, look at me, I'm a programmer!"

What it says to developers: "I am most definitely *not* a programmer"

Haha n.o.o.b shirt (

zkentvt

neilly18 wrote:Thanks -- from a non-developer wife who almost got this for her overly detailed embedded software engineer of a husband - he would never have forgiven me.

I'd wear it if someone bought it for me though. It does still involve super powers and glow in the dark.

smcdon2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages smcdon2
BootsBoots wrote:Hey, thanks everyone for the comments! I'm so happy for the print!

The design's just supposed to be a fun little joke, not perfect working code or anything. I wanted it to be simple and accessible to everyone. Getting the joke across and making the design look appealing was the most important thing to me. Sorry I didn't indent my code, though. I had to research writing java if-else statements to do the design. Half of the examples I saw didn't indent, so I went with it that way because it looked better visually to me (as a non-programmer who usually just hacks code together).

Most get that. It's a very fun design in my opinion.

Congrats.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
BootsBoots wrote:Hey, thanks everyone for the comments! I'm so happy for the print!

The design's just supposed to be a fun little joke, not perfect working code or anything. I wanted it to be simple and accessible to everyone. Getting the joke across and making the design look appealing was the most important thing to me. Sorry I didn't indent my code, though. I had to research writing java if-else statements to do the design. Half of the examples I saw didn't indent, so I went with it that way because it looked better visually to me (as a non-programmer who usually just hacks code together).

For a non-programmer, great first attempt at pseudo java. I remember the first time I learned to code, I was just so confused. Better than most newbies.

I really like the creativity.

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill

I find your lack of indents disturbing.

..{tab}...

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

congrats Boots!

shadoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadoe
qsopht wrote:The lack of indentation would bother me each time I wore this shirt.

I'm with you 100%. Not only that, there's needless use of {}

droolinghamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages droolinghamster
qsopht wrote:The lack of indentation would bother me each time I wore this shirt.

lol, so you're okay with the K&R bracing, but you're upset that it's not indented? you're really not gonna like powershell.

droolinghamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages droolinghamster

oh, it's perfect. believe me, all the developers here can argue about braces and indentation all day long even without a t-shirt. it's one of the classic and eternal Religious Wars of Programming.

devilpliers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devilpliers

Weird.. I would of guessed this was Perl. From a Perl perspective all that's really wrong is two lines aren't indented and return is uppercase. All these comments about the code being off are silly in my opinion. It's a t-shirt.. and really, if you get the point of the code without indentation who cares? Indentation issues only make me cry when there's at least a few dozen lines of text. It probably would of looked weird on a shirt indented and return lowercased anyways. I like it.

JiggaWagga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JiggaWagga
zkentvt wrote:Haha I came into the discussion to point that out.

you++;

same here, we need this shirt to be redone with proper code so us developers can wear it around their friends without getting so much crap for the terrible code.

Also, someone said that could be pseudo code. It's still sloppy for pseudo code.

Entity325

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Entity325
eamoe11 wrote:If only it had proper indentation and '.equals("DAY")'...

Let me introduce you to my good friend, D

All other complaints valid, though.

qsopht

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qsopht
droolinghamster wrote:lol, so you're okay with the K&R bracing, but you're upset that it's not indented? you're really not gonna like powershell.

Don't like the beginning brace on same line part of K&R. I prefer Allman. It's all for aesthetics anyways.

robush4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robush4

i could be in for 1, but i hate Egyptian brackets...

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

I just have to say... whatever you guys do, don't look at the source code for my website.

RayKremer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RayKremer

"I come from the Net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place: Mainframe.

My format: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my new-found friends, their hopes and dreams.
To defend them from their enemies.

They say The User lives outside the Net, and inputs games for pleasure. No one knows for sure, but I intend to find out!"

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
devilpliers wrote:Weird.. I would of guessed this was Perl. From a Perl perspective all that's really wrong is two lines aren't indented and return is uppercase. All these comments about the code being off are silly in my opinion. It's a t-shirt.. and really, if you get the point of the code without indentation who cares? Indentation issues only make me cry when there's at least a few dozen lines of text. It probably would of looked weird on a shirt indented and return lowercased anyways. I like it.

That was our guess as well (Orcrist42 is my husband). I give curlies their own line, and obsessed with indenting (yes I know it's technically optional, but I'd say it's how I was taught, except I wasn't because the only formal training I've had was in BASIC and there is no indentation there). I have been known to go back over code multiple times just to fix the indents though....

Boots - good work. I think it was great of you to do something like this with no actual language of the code. As pseudocode it is very readable.

I love the paradox whichever user posted this - I hope you got a rainbows for that!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

RipRap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RipRap
lompoc wrote:Too technical for me. I like a shirt that anyone can quickly understand. I'm enjoying the double meaning glow in the dark shirts, but again, the meaning behind the images must be clear. I don't want people staring at my shirt with their minds in the dark.

People stare "with their minds in the dark"? Must be a Lompoc thing.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

More than 100 Woots (RipRap is better than everybody else, according to WOOT)
stop asking me to send you my used words. I recycle!

propenguin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages propenguin

#Powershell
if ( $time -match "Day" ) {
Activate "Alter Ego"
} else {
Activate "Super Powers"
}
#Woot left out my indents
#This explains the shirts issue

sonicmouse

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sonicmouse

It probably wouldn't fit on a shirt.

rowjelio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowjelio

Man, based on the poor indentation or lack thereof, and the annoying open bracket on the SAME LINE as the condition, I assumed it was javascrapt lol

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 2m 13.668s
First Sucker: Maymne
Last Wooter to Woot: adamhilgemeier
Last Purchase:3 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 944

First day sales 944
First day posts 61

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
devilpliers wrote:Weird.. I would of guessed this was Perl. From a Perl perspective all that's really wrong is two lines aren't indented and return is uppercase. All these comments about the code being off are silly in my opinion. It's a t-shirt.. and really, if you get the point of the code without indentation who cares? Indentation issues only make me cry when there's at least a few dozen lines of text. It probably would of looked weird on a shirt indented and return lowercased anyways. I like it.

I was thinking it was perl as well. The indention still bugs me, but I can see how if it was indented, the word block on the shirt would be wider and so the text would be smaller.

akayeh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akayeh

Dear Artist,
As the holder of a BS in Computer Science and someone who hates to code (ducks all the thrown manuals and usb drives) I have to give you credit for getting the important stuff right. You matched all of your parentheses, all of your braces, and ended all your lines with semicolons. Even the best coders can spend hours to days hunting for a single one of those that have been missed. And oh! The random chaos that simple missing character can cause! (That's part of why I chose instead to go into the field of Tech Support. Give me a malfunctioning network or a broken printer any day! Even the user who "never touched it" but has used the computer every day...). Don't let these guys give you too much grief over your code. There is no defined standard for style, which is why people can trace "pirated" sections of code--it doesn't match the style of the code written around it. Believe it or not, most languages could be written with one word on every line as long as you got the punctuation right, or all on one really long line. The computer can't really tell the difference.

So smile and enjoy being a featured artist. You deserve it.

--Amanda H.
Governors State University 2008

dolphiniac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphiniac
Milquetoast wrote:This is an interesting shirt.

What it says to non-developers: "Hey, look at me, I'm a programmer!"

What it says to developers: "I am most definitely *not* a programmer"

I feel bad, because I'm a programmer with good formatting skills, and I definitely did not notice. :/

sonictt1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonictt1
engelwood39 wrote:Visual Studio

Lol. That's hilarious. Maybe you should try a google search before you try to talk out of your butt. Visual Studio is a programming environment, not a language.

sonictt1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonictt1
dolphiniac wrote:I feel bad, because I'm a programmer with good formatting skills, and I definitely did not notice. :/

Well, it's also a shirt. It's not necessarily meant to be taken so literally. Don't let the elitist killjoys ruin a perfectly clever shirt.

EthiopiaAvery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EthiopiaAvery

It's object oriented and looks to be java script formatted for a shirt not code.

it's not the complete script (who would want that on the shirt, so all the calls and variables are outside of the shirt.

But yes, to programmers it says you bought a shirt that is quite funny.

To non programmers you bought a shirt they don't understand, but get that you are a nerd.

Yes I bought one.

Why? Cause I spend half my day in Java Script, but at night I'm a superhero. Yep Yep..... This shirt is my biography.

alderson21

quality posts: 6 Private Messages alderson21

As a professional software engineer (who uses C# all day), I appreciate the stab at coding syntax, and I was amused at all the jabs over white space. I'd fail you on a code review for it (just ask my coworkers :D ) but it makes for a convincing-enough t-shirt that anyone with enough coding chops can appreciate, and only a truly hard-core nerd would criticize. Just tell them "an artist wrote it" and shrug your shoulders, then show them how it glows in the dark, and it's all good.

Incidentally, C# syntax in one line:

if (Time.Equals("Day")) ? return "Alter Ego" : Activate("Super Powers");

The return in the middle bugs me, and I'm thinking the "Activate()" method call is indirect recursion (just to assuage my tensions of multiple returns).

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
EthiopiaAvery wrote:It's object oriented and looks to be java script formatted for a shirt not code.

it's not the complete script (who would want that on the shirt, so all the calls and variables are outside of the shirt.

But yes, to programmers it says you bought a shirt that is quite funny.

To non programmers you bought a shirt they don't understand, but get that you are a nerd.

Yes I bought one.

Why? Cause I spend half my day in Java Script, but at night I'm a superhero. Yep Yep..... This shirt is my biography.

Thanks! This makes me feel better, as it is java script and I tried to only put the joke part of the code on the shirt. I was really second guessing myself there for a minute. I'm so glad that if you realize it's java script and that not all of the code is there, there's not really anything wrong with it.

BLaZuRE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BLaZuRE

I would insta-buy this shirt if this were indented. The non-indentation annoys me to pieces =(.