j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
oakenspirit wrote:Thanks for taking the time to input and for the suggestion.

I originally had the static in greys but felt it seemed too lifeless... Once I went green, I struggled with getting the right contrast between the greens for my phone to actually scan the qr image. I like the look of it, as it seemed (to me at least) to play off of the old greenish retro feel AND a more high tech look-

I do see what you are saying though.

I'll see how it sits with me before the deadline-

anyone else get a similar vibe from the green? Is it too much?

The static should be blues.

move along

Draike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike

I love that everyone goes straight for the old style TVs with knobs. Flatscreens just don't have the same character to them.

Still giving mine color, but the working title is "As Seen On TV"

Edited: Replaced with the newly-colored version. Decided on a mono-brown theme this week.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
j5 wrote:The static should be blues.

Hmmm... Blue eh?

Trying variations (as best I an at work without a decent art program)... Im being stubborn- so far I prefer green...

I wish I didn't have a 7-4 job so I could make shirts all day...

midstarrynight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midstarrynight
oakenspirit wrote:Thanks for taking the time to input and for the suggestion.

I originally had the static in greys but felt it seemed too lifeless... Once I went green, I struggled with getting the right contrast between the greens for my phone to actually scan the qr image. I like the look of it, as it seemed (to me at least) to play off of the old greenish retro feel AND a more high tech look-

I do see what you are saying though.

I'll see how it sits with me before the deadline-

anyone else get a similar vibe from the green? Is it too much?

Well, I couldn't get my phone to scan the QR code....
I like the green, and then I was going to suggest putting it on a green shirt instead, but that's not possible this week. Maybe baby blue shirt will give it that brightness?

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Hey all, I'm trying to decide between navy and black... any thoughts? (or any other suggestions if you feel it's missing something). Thanks!

Vote!

oakenspirit

jasneko wrote:Hey all, I'm trying to decide between navy and black... any thoughts? (or any other suggestions if you feel it's missing something). Thanks!

I like the navy myself...

But- I am starting to think I always say that when its between navy and black...

I do like how the color works on the navy though.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
jasneko wrote:Hey all, I'm trying to decide between navy and black... any thoughts? (or any other suggestions if you feel it's missing something). Thanks!

I like navy as well. And the face is awesome. :D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

One of my favorite shows on Television -- ever -- is Firefly. I still haven't forgiven Fox for cancelling it less than a full season in.

One of the most iconic and memorable scenes from that show is one of our first real introductions to the character of WASH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxFrgql5dc

Here's my tribute. Tell me what you think. Any and all constructive criticisms will be considered in my quest to submit the perfect design to the derby.

oakenspirit

keyser520 wrote:One of my favorite shows on Television -- ever -- is Firefly. I still haven't forgiven Fox for cancelling it less than a full season in.

One of the most iconic and memorable scenes from that show is one of our first real introductions to the character of WASH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxFrgql5dc

Here's my tribute. Tell me what you think. Any and all constructive criticisms will be considered in my quest to submit the perfect design to the derby.

YAY for wooden model dinosaurs... an interesting take on a much-loved scene...

I do think your shirt placement is a little low for my tastes...

keyser520

oakenspirit wrote:YAY for wooden model dinosaurs... an interesting take on a much-loved scene...

I do think your shirt placement is a little low for my tastes...

Thanks for the feedback! How high should it be?

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 114 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Ohhhh, I had a very similar idea like this but just could get it to work. I like it more on Navy because it makes the image feel a little softer.

DianaSprinkle

keyser520 wrote:Thanks for the feedback! How high should it be?

Most of the time people expect the design to be all the way up to about an inch below the collar.

If you place it lower people will expect it to mean something or to be a special part of the design in some way.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
keyser520 wrote:One of my favorite shows on Television -- ever -- is Firefly. I still haven't forgiven Fox for cancelling it less than a full season in.

NBlottie had a very similar shirt. . . is this one different enough? http://shirt.woot.com/offers/inevitable-betrayal

keyser520

Any other suggestions on design? Do you like the speech bubble or bottom text better?

keyser520

curli76 wrote:NBlottie had a very similar shirt. . . is this one different enough? http://shirt.woot.com/offers/inevitable-betrayal

hrm... dunno. I did a google search but hadn't come across that one. I was hoping that the wooden dinosaurs and subtle match would be a different enough take. I suppose that will be left up to the rejectionator.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

I have a non pop culture one too that I may sub, but at least with a derby about tv, I felt good about bringing out a tv show joke/reference.

keyser520

ste7enl wrote:

I have a non pop culture one too that I may sub, but at least with a derby about tv, I felt good about bringing out a tv show joke/reference.

I like it! Add a third eye to the crow and a strap that holds the sword on.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks oaken, mavyn and diana! Navy it is.
Mavyn - glad you like the face...
I wasn't sure if the expression was coming across enough.

Draike wrote:I love that everyone goes straight for the old style TVs with knobs. Flatscreens just don't have the same character to them.
]

Totally agreed there! I was imagining drawing a flat screen and it felt... pretty flat.

Vote!

ste7enl

keyser520 wrote:I like it! Add a third eye to the crow and a strap that holds the sword on.

Oh weird, there was a strap, I forgot it. There won't be a third eye, because this crow is actually Jon Snow.

DianaSprinkle

ste7enl wrote:

Ahh this is super nice looking. I like the textures on this.

ste7enl

DianaSprinkle wrote:Ahh this is super nice looking. I like the textures on this.

Thank you so much! I worked quite hard getting the right atmosphere with the texture so I appreciate that it paid off (and the kind words of course)

lokklyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lokklyn

Two of my favorite shows.

walterwaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages walterwaw

Oh Woot you really missed a theme derby last week. Derby 300, come on man. It's all about the "Spartans", instead you went with Derby #300: What makes me different. Oh well maybe next time.

ste7enl

keyser520 wrote:I like it! Add a third eye to the crow and a strap that holds the sword on.

added the strap before submitting, nice catch

keyser520

ste7enl wrote:added the strap before submitting, nice catch

You can thank me with a vote

prtyyoshi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prtyyoshi
Narfcake wrote:I am pondering if the limitation of shirt colors is a sign of a change in the near future, inventory balancing, or just logistic issues again.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a change in hopefully the very near future! =)

DianaSprinkle

prtyyoshi wrote:I am keeping my fingers crossed for a change in hopefully the very near future! =)

That would be interesting! Last time they changed the shirt colors they took away Orange and Heather grey and added Silver and Slate. I really want Turquoise or purple...

Sadly they probably just had a run on shirts during the woot-off this week and are just low on some of the colors. =/

rpb318

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rpb318

Why is nobody doing Arrested Development or The Wire yet?

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Sigh... I was hoping people would stick to the actually theme of TV rather than making shirts based on movies and shows. Woot should have banned that since it's done in EVERY derby.

glad to see at least SOME very original entries.

memalory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages memalory

Haven't read through all of the comments, so don't know if this has been mentioned yet. Many of the designs seem too specific or about television shows rather than just about television itself. I was so surprised and a bit confused by the many designs that just had television program/show references. Really not seeing how this complies with the point of the derby.

Found myself going through and voting for the ones that seemed to actually solve the problem presented by the derby, even if I don't love the design, simply because the shirt design is just about television in general and not a show, character from tv show, etc.

faryl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faryl

Would love to see something "Allons-y" (non-text-only, of course).

"There's an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom and consolation to the soul in times of need...."

faryl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faryl
rpb318 wrote:Why is nobody doing Arrested Development or The Wire yet?

Because someone's made a huge mistake?

Bozanimal

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Bozanimal

Truly one of the worst assortments of shirts I've seen in a long time. Multiple Adventure Time, Dr. Who, and My Little Pony references, but no Disney Afternoon? Duck Tales, Chip 'n Dale, Gummy Bears, Tailspin, Darkwing Duck- pick one and win.

Or less popular but still awesome; it'd be nice to see some Hanna Barbara references. For too long there has been a lack of Herculoids and Johnny Quest.

M*A*S*H, The Cosby Show, Silver Spoons, Cheers, Gilligan's Island- there are so many shows it's a shame to see retread ideas.

Boz

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
Bozanimal wrote:... Or less popular ...

This sums up the reason why without restrictions, we will have more pop-culture based designs and of those, more that reference current properties. In the quest for the most votes, an artist will draw what they feel will give them the best chance of placing.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

And that's why the derby is alot less fun when pop culture is allowed. Nobody is going to pop out an obscure Buck Rogers reference, and even if they did it wouldn't get enough votes to print. The thing that's hot and fashionable right now will always win in a popularity (not a tee shirt art) contest.

If woot really wanted a derby about television in general they should have banned pop culture.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I guess the rejectionator is currently engaged with more pressing matters.

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

There are a ton of shirts that I just don't get the reference at all. This is derby has the least appeal to me of everything since I first started paying attention to the derbies. Some nice artwork, but so little that I'd ever consider wearing.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Bozanimal

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Bozanimal
Narfcake wrote:This sums up the reason why without restrictions, we will have more pop-culture based designs and of those, more that reference current properties. In the quest for the most votes, an artist will draw what they feel will give them the best chance of placing.

The artists are smart: They're pandering to the typical Derby visitor. I have a feeling, though, that a solid, say, Superfriends or Dungeons and Dragons cartoon shirt would bring in sales from people that do not normally visit the site and find out about it the day of the sale through social media.

The problem is I don't know that it'd bring in votes from the younger set, even if they'd sell.

Boz