quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: I am:
  • 62.6% - Smarter than most people. 984
  • 21.1% - About as smart as most people. 332
  • 2.5% - Dumber than most people. 39
  • 13.9% - Offended by this question. 218
1573 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Quality Posts

• (8:09 AM, 4/26/2013) Oh, flattering goodness! Looks like shirt.woot's got itself a regular ol' genius of a poet laureate over here.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

lol, if there's that many who vote that they're "smarter than most people" well that just can't be true. Perhaps some hold a higher opinion of themselves than they should? ;P

Either that or it's mostly the smarter people voting and the smartness demographics are skewed.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

About as smart as most people.

Anyone who answered "Smarter than most people" is either delusional or horrendously egotistical. Seriously reflect on your life and re-think the answer you gave.

bargainbourne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbourne
safyrejet wrote:lol, if there's that many who vote that they're "smarter than most people" well that just can't be true. Perhaps some hold a higher opinion of themselves than they should? ;P

Either that or it's mostly the smarter people voting and the smartness demographics are skewed.

Clearly, there's only one explanation -- all the geniuses flock here, mostly to buy Doctor Who shirts! ;)

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin
curtisuxor wrote:About as smart as most people.

Anyone who answered "Smarter than most people" is either delusional or horrendously egotistical. Seriously reflect on your life and re-think the answer you gave.

Depends on the type of intelligence you're referring to. I would never pretend to have "street smarts" (inner city, gang type), and I cannot spell to save my life. But I am usually better than average at math and most sciences. When I answered, I was thinking about what I'm good at. I'm sure a lot of other people were too.

But having more than 50% saying "smarter than most" is more than a little humorous to me. Gotta have some context here, Woot.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper
aprilbolin wrote:Depends on the type of intelligence you're referring to. I would never pretend to have "street smarts" (inner city, gang type), and I cannot spell to save my life. But I am usually better than average at math and most sciences. When I answered, I was thinking about what I'm good at. I'm sure a lot of other people were too.

But having more than 50% saying "smarter than most" is more than a little humorous to me. Gotta have some context here, Woot.

Now your just being a smart A**

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Welcome to Lake Wootbegon
where all the Staff are strong,
all the Mods are good looking,
and all the Wooters are above average

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow

Are you saying no one of above average intelligence answers Woot polls?

waterresistant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterresistant

Whenever I go to Walmart and observe some of the people in the world, it makes me feel smarter.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Two possible explanations for the above 50% "Smarter than everyone else" voting...

1) Illusory Superiority

2) Since woot isn't polling the entire population of the world, it is possible that the population subset voting in the poll is actually smarter than everyone else.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Yes, but mother had me tested.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

smellin' like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

While a poll like this is inherently flawed, a lot of the answers are "joking", it's still kinda interesting to see how many folks actually don't choose "Smarter than most people".

It's great for people to believe they're smarter than others. It's the people that choose something less (not the jokers, the honest ones) that make me worry.

Well, except for that last answer. People that choose that option should just go away and stop being so full of themselves.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

I am smarter than most of 58.4% who said they were smarter than most people.

basharoftheages

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basharoftheages

Results make perfect sense given the overwhelming selection bias.

The better joke poll would be to ask people to rate how modest they are.

lonelypond

quality posts: 461 Private Messages lonelypond

Quoted from the Elementary I watched tonight:

"Watson: So that means you still might be the smartest person in the world.
Holmes: I would never suggest that.
Watson: Really? I think that's the first time I've ever heard you say anything remotely modest.
Holmes: That's not modesty. There's just no reliable way to test the hypothesis."

So how could you not chose the last option ; )

Love mysteries? Want a mix of gay + straight characters? With a bit of Poe? Try my book, darn it ; ) In The Bleak December.

safyrejet

basharoftheages wrote:Results make perfect sense given the overwhelming selection bias.

The better joke poll would be to ask people to rate how modest they are.

Now I'm hoping that's Woot's next poll here.

byrdvt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages byrdvt

So apparently, we Wooters are clearly smarter than the rest of the world.. :-)

lthorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lthorn
bargainbourne wrote:Clearly, there's only one explanation -- all the geniuses flock here, mostly to buy Doctor Who shirts! ;)

Absolutely!

Lynn M Thornton

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

It has been my experience that people of above average intelligence tend to rate themselves lower than they deserve and people of below average intelligence tend to rate themselves higher than they deserve. As for the poll, I used IQ as a measure and told the truth.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
curtisuxor wrote:

False modesty is either delusional or horrendously egotistical.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

Answered on what's usually referred to as common sense, after recently seeing an Tin Man walk into a telephone pole while texting, as an example.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

Most people believe they are smarter than most people. Most people believe that they work harder or contribute more than other people. Most male people believe the Magnum extra large condoms are made for them.......... Unfortunately these things are only true for a few of us.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

Here you go, I fixed your poll for you:

I am:
*More egotistic than most people.
*About as egotistic as most people.
*Less egotistic than most people.
*Answering ironically.

You're welcome.

safyrejet

It's curious to me that so many seem to think that being smart and knowing it must be linked to being either delusional or egotistical. Kinda sad really.

I suppose there's some question of what constitutes smart (or not smart) and that probably goes far beyond this basic and silly woot survey. I used a measure of education level, but then it could be argued there's plenty of dumb people in college even beyond the undergrad level.

RWoodward wrote:It has been my experience that people of above average intelligence tend to rate themselves lower than they deserve

By my experience I've found the more I learn the more I realize how little I know. Getting "smarter" makes me feel less "smart" so to speak.

heygunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heygunny

Being the fart smeller (reed smart feller, albeit I do like the stink-pretty of a good long solid wet fart) Eye am does knot make me egotistical. Peeps regularly bask in the golden Greek god-like intellectual (unt physical) magnificentsiosity that is moi. No thing i can due about it - just the whey it be - sea?! (Yeth, I used a speel checker - butt it wuz awl-weighs wrong).