aaltieri

quality posts: 22 Private Messages aaltieri
CowboyDann wrote:2011: 176 woots
2012: 254 woots
2013: 009 woots

I think the bigger shock is that this is my first woot in 2 months.

And now MY woot addiction suddenly doesn't feel so bad!

Thanks! ;-)

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
bnbsouthworth wrote:Is it just me, or is the tin man doing the Michael Jackson crotch grab?

Maybe it's just me.

@CowboyDann is buying Anvil? That is Holy Cow!

Hell, at first glance I thought his lower arm was a giant Courage aimed right at Dorothy's mouth. :-o

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

kpeng2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpeng2

i was just gushing about my studio ghibli love and then this?! it's a sign!

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
blk909 wrote:I wonder
how Studio Ghibli feels about this shirt design?

They probably wouldn't like it. They never like it when their characters are used without permission.

It's a great shirt design nonetheless!

janeser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages janeser

I am also saddened by the lack of Spirited Away, and I guess I'm the only one sad for no Ponyo?

TrypWyr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TrypWyr
bnbsouthworth wrote:Is it just me, or is the tin man doing the Michael Jackson crotch grab?

Maybe it's just me.

Nope, not just you. That was the first thing I noticed... disturbing.

w00ts!
10/5/2007 - Delphi SkyFi2 XM Satellite Radio Receiver and Car Kit X 1, 6/10/2007 - WeatherX Dynamo Flashlight/Radio w/ NOAA Weather Band X 1, 6/1/07 - Random Crap X 3, 5/31/07 - Bellsouth FW14Z 2-Way Wristwatch Communicator X 2
Shirt.w00ts!
10/4/2007 - Счастливый Пятидесятый День рождения!, 9/22/2007 - Bushidō, 9/18/2007 - Hot Wings, 9/7/2007 - Zombie Season, 9/3/2007 - Duct Tape Man, 7/23/2007 - Sore Thumbs

pveloso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pveloso

Why is Tin Man grabbing his (or its)crotch?

Chirishman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chirishman

Obviously the Wicked Witch is Yubaba and Kiki gets to be the Glinda. Personally I'd vote Sky Pirates for flying monkeys.

The real question is: Who gets to be the Wizard?

xelement5x

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xelement5x
Chirishman wrote:Obviously the Wicked Witch is Yubaba and Kiki gets to be the Glinda. Personally I'd vote Sky Pirates for flying monkeys.

The real question is: Who gets to be the Wizard?

Of course the Wizard would be Howl! Though I'd love to see the Baron as a Wizard.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Yay! Congrats dijay!!!

Ahhzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ahhzz

I had no choice. I'll pass the second to my daughter for a night-shirt, but I HAD to. It's Miyazaki, and I AM the Great and Powerful Ahhzz....

gypsychk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gypsychk

Anyone else having trouble ordering more than 1?

IamPopeye

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IamPopeye

Couldn't resist.

Interesting, don't know what the map shows about demographics of Miyazaki popularity, but interesting.

I am for Haru myself, but nothing was going to keep my from getting this for my daughter! She's going to flip when she gets this! (Haru made her trip to 'AWs' - all be it the Cat Kingdom)

I'm reading a compilation of L. Frank Baum's work. Avail. on Kindle for 0.99! Worth reading, I'm now into the third in the series, "Tik-Tok of Oz".

As is Miyazki, Baum is a strong advocate of strong and independent girls. Often sited as one of the first feminist writers. Married to Maud Gage, daughter of suffragist and feminist Matilda Gage. (Though a feminist, Baum has a down side and was a racist and supporter of the genocide of the native American...)

But back to Miyazaki... What happened to the distribution of "Up On Poppy Hill"? We never got it here in southern Oregon, weird - is Disney not supporting Studio Ghibli as they seemed to have been in prior recent releases? Disappointing that.

Cheers!

silverlake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverlake

Can't buy one; what am I doing wrong?

silverlake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverlake
gypsychk wrote:Anyone else having trouble ordering more than 1?

I can't even buy one

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Congratulations!!! A well deserved win- I adore this love letter shirt to Miyazaki!!

joshobra

quality posts: 37 Private Messages joshobra
CowboyDann wrote:Studio Ghibli

Ooooh.. haha. I thought so.

Thanks for the help CowboyDann! I totally forgot about my BFF Google.

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

slylynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slylynn
gypsychk wrote:Anyone else having trouble ordering more than 1?

Yeah I can put 2 in my cart, but I can't make them different sizes. As my daughter and husband don't wear the same size shirt this is a problem.

joshobra

quality posts: 37 Private Messages joshobra

I haven't washed any of my Woot shirts yet, but I think I'll be wearing this one more often so it'll get washed eventually.

Do they shrink when it gets washed? If so, should I get one size larger than usual?

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

slylynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slylynn
slylynn wrote:Yeah I can put 2 in my cart, but I can't make them different sizes. As my daughter and husband don't wear the same size shirt this is a problem.

Update, I managed to get two sizes, but I had to add one to my cart, return to the shirt.woot page and then add the second. That's more clicking woot, not less.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Yay! Congrats Di.Jay!! Enjoy the awesome prize!:D

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
joshobra wrote:Ooooh.. haha. I thought so.

Thanks for the help CowboyDann! I totally forgot about my BFF Google.

happens to the best of us

aaltieri

quality posts: 22 Private Messages aaltieri
IamPopeye wrote:

But back to Miyazaki... What happened to the distribution of "Up On Poppy Hill"? We never got it here in southern Oregon, weird - is Disney not supporting Studio Ghibli as they seemed to have been in prior recent releases? Disappointing that.

Cheers!

What prior releases? Spirited Away was a HUGE success all over the world, it never saw a single theater in NE PA until it made second rounds almost a year later. Ponyo was in theaters here, but Howl and Arrietty were not. I take that back, I think Arrietty was for like a week, maybe.

I can't speak for larger cities, but in the mid-markets, there is squat for support.

As for Poppy Hill itself, it's a good movie, but I wouldn't even compare it to Spirited Away, or Laputa, or Arrietty. It's got a solid plot and characters, but there's none of the fantasy. Very different from just about all of their previous outings. I think it targets a different market entirely. I don't think it will really have the larger appeal to an American market, honestly.

norredm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norredm

I would pay $15 for this on an AA shirt. I will continue to pay $0 and not purchase on the Anvil shirts that do not fit me or my wife.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

That map DOES show some interesting demographics. Miyazaki is pretty popular in my town, enough so that a local theater makes sure they always play he new films.

Also, Sky pirates for flying monkeys? I was thinking Porco Rosso... because you can't have enough flying pigs right?

Howl as the wizard? Yes please. Judging from how popular the character of Howl is... if someone wants to make a design with Howl in a hot air balloon Oz the Great and Powerful style I am sure it would be pretty popular.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Much as I appreciate the reference to "Wicked" in the write-up, at heart I am a musical theater geek and not a fan of (what is this? anime? manga?). But congrats to the winner.

gypsychk

slylynn wrote:Update, I managed to get two sizes, but I had to add one to my cart, return to the shirt.woot page and then add the second. That's more clicking woot, not less.

THANK YOU.

gypsychk

norredm wrote:I would pay $15 for this on an AA shirt. I will continue to pay $0 and not purchase on the Anvil shirts that do not fit me or my wife.

Buying a woot shirt, at this point, is a total crap shoot, for me. I'd say I have about 30% success rate getting the size I think I'm getting. I have about a half dozen shirts I bought that are too small for my youngest kid — and I bought those shirts thinking there'd be NO chance it wouldn't fit any of my 5 kids.

And YES I get the measuring tape out, first. :/

Love this shirt so so so so much, though; in for 3. (Now that I've figured out I need to add them individually. THANK YOU, slylynn.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
j5 wrote:I don't get it.
Wizard of Oz in some sort of Japanimation style?

Yerp, seems to be. Ambivalent on this re "What Makes Me Different", although some of the fog suggests that's a lost cause anyway.

It's well-drawn and hits the target audience, clearly. Just sorta bummed that my relationship with shirt.woot and the derby was seemingly doomed from the start.

greenfelderkl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages greenfelderkl

In for 3 - one for the whole family! I just can't help it, I'm from Kansas...

Great shirt!

kfujita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfujita

YES! this is a must buy for me.

visited the Ghibli Museum last week and this makes me remember all the awesome things i saw.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred

I agree it's a little tragic to not see Spirited Away represented here anywhere, but only tragic like, "I went on a month long trip to the Caribbean and forgot to bring my comfy shorts," kind of tragic. Not like a "My house burned down," kind of tragic.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
joshobra wrote:Do they shrink when it gets washed? If so, should I get one size larger than usual?

With the current shirts, it depends. Line dried, they'll shrink a bit. Dryer dried, they'll shrink a lot; my experience was 10% in length. YMMV, and do pay attention to the sizing charts no matter what.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

I don't normally rock reference shirts, but hot damn, I never expected to see San from Princess Mononoke (my all-time favorite movie) on a Woot shirt. Count me in.

dorseynr202

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dorseynr202

I want to buy this shirt for a friend but I'm not sure who all these characters are. So I recognize one character on the shirt from Totoro but who is everybody else from? (my friend is a huge studio ghibli fan)

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
dorseynr202 wrote:I want to buy this shirt for a friend but I'm not sure who all these characters are. So I recognize one character on the shirt from Totoro but who is everybody else from? (my friend is a huge studio ghibli fan)

If they are a fan...they will love this shirt.

(And not to run over it all again, but it is Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neigbor Totoro)

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet
aaltieri wrote:Nausicaa was NOT a studio Ghibli work. While it IS a Miyazaki creation, it actually pre-dated the founding of Ghibli by about a year. It's often included in Ghibli collection because most of the people who worked on that film went on to Ghibli.

Uhm, OK...I know that technicality. I guess I should have typed out I'm a huge Miyazaki fan instead. That probably would have been more correct since there are several non-Miyazaki films under the Studio Ghibli heading that I don't like as much as the Miyazaki films anyway. The Nausicaa film was released on BluRay under the Disney/Studio Ghibli agreement recently so I don't think it matters that much whether it's originally Studio Ghibli or not.

I was just supposing on other characters that could fit this sort of mash up. I'm not inclined to take a stab at drawing my own interpretation anyway so I didn't want to be too critical of the artists' work here. I think this turned out good as is.

dorseynr202

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dorseynr202
jstjred wrote:If they are a fan...they will love this shirt.

(And not to run over it all again, but it is Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neigbor Totoro)

Thanks so much!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

As for the whole "San as Dorothy" debate, seeing a delighted, skipping San was the selling point for me. It's unexpected and charming. Charm and delight go much, much farther for me than quibbles over which Miyazaki heroine most matches the "Dorothy" archetype.

pbftchicken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbftchicken

Brilliant.

Had me at TOTORO!
Good thing it's pay day.