oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Hey guys- took some prederby advice and grabbed a monoprice tablet-

I really like it(i think) but I CAN NOT get the pressure sensitivity to work whatsoever in Photoshop...

I have seen numerous posts on this from a google search and tried a few suggestions but nothing seems to work... (I did the install intuis driver fix and the STOP tab service fix for clarity)

Just curious if anyone out in woot land has had similar issues and fixed them with this tablet.

I have photoshop CS5.1 (64bit).

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
oakenspirit wrote:Hey guys- took some prederby advice and grabbed a monoprice tablet-

I really like it(i think) but I CAN NOT get the pressure sensitivity to work whatsoever in Photoshop...

I had this similar issue, also running CS5.1. What I've found to cause the issue is if I have Photoshop open prior to plugging in the tablet. For some reason it causes the pressure sensitivity to not be recognized (for me at least).

I'd suggest unplugging the tablet, closing down Photoshop, plugging the tablet back in, letting it initialize and then opening Photoshop.

EDIT: Also, this might sound like a dumb suggestion, but make sure pressure sensitivity is turned on for whatever tool you're using. I'll guess you already did that, buuuuuuuuut just in case....

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

tjschaeffer wrote:I had this similar issue, also running CS5.1. What I've found to cause the issue is if I have Photoshop open prior to plugging in the tablet. For some reason it causes the pressure sensitivity to not be recognized (for me at least).

I'd suggest unplugging the tablet, closing down Photoshop, plugging the tablet back in, letting it initialize and then opening Photoshop.

FWIW, I've run into this same issue with Wacom tablets on occasion. It seems like the best solution is to plug the tablet in and then start up PS. I would also make sure you have latest drivers for your tablet. If that doesn't work there are likely solutions on the net for your specific product.

tjschaeffer

tgentry wrote:FWIW, I've run into this same issue with Wacom tablets on occasion. It seems like the best solution is to plug the tablet in and then start up PS. I would also make sure you have latest drivers for your tablet. If that doesn't work there are likely solutions on the net for your specific product.

I wonder if it has something to do with how Photoshop communicates with the tablet. I chalked it up to having bought a cheapo product, and was willing to live with having to plug the tablet in first as a small price to pay for a good...price. But if it happens with the wacom too it seems like a software issue.

Although lately I just leave the tablet plugged in all the time and tuck it away. That way I don't have to worry about all those little nuisances.

oakenspirit

@tjschaeffer
Thanks for the help- so far, still not working but I am tweaking- It seems really responsive and great for drawing and I can't wait to get the pressure working...

@tgentry
Thanks for your response too! Sorry to turn the forum into a techhelpdesk- just figured some REAL PERSON had been in the same boat Im in.

tjschaeffer

oakenspirit wrote:@tjschaeffer
Thanks for the help- so far, still not working but I am tweaking- It seems really responsive and great for drawing and I can't wait to get the pressure working...

Some other thoughts:

-When you open the tablet utility, and go to the "Pressure Sensitivity" tab and test the pen in the little window provided, does it register that the varying pressure?

-Another stupid question, but have you made sure that your Photoshop settings are correct for the brush/pencil tool? i.e. Shape Dynamics is checked on with control set to "Pen Pressure" and Minimum diameter set to 0% (or wherever you want it to be, as long as it's <100%)

I'm trying to think of the other issues I ran into when I was setting mine up, as I found online documentation to be lacking.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjschaeffer wrote:Some other thoughts:

-When you open the tablet utility, and go to the "Pressure Sensitivity" tab and test the pen in the little window provided, does it register that the varying pressure?

-Another stupid question, but have you made sure that your Photoshop settings are correct for the brush/pencil tool? i.e. Shape Dynamics is checked on with control set to "Pen Pressure" and Minimum diameter set to 0% (or wherever you want it to be, as long as it's <100%)

I'm trying to think of the other issues I ran into when I was setting mine up, as I found online documentation to be lacking.

This should get you working.
Also, get the drivers from here: http://www.uc-logic.com/en/index.php?ParentMenuID=4

move along

oakenspirit

Thanks again guys- Found those drivers and have them installed (and uninstalled and reinstalled ;) )
Have all of those settings in place...

-tried a few other random googled suggestions but still nada...

-planning to harass Monoprice tomorrow when their service is open.

I'll get there (hopefully before Thursday- Im itchin to try this thing out!)

Thanks guys-
I appreciate!

j5

oakenspirit wrote:Thanks again guys- Found those drivers and have them installed (and uninstalled and reinstalled ;) )
Have all of those settings in place...

-tried a few other random googled suggestions but still nada...

-planning to harass Monoprice tomorrow when their service is open.

I'll get there (hopefully before Thursday- Im itchin to try this thing out!)

Thanks guys-
I appreciate!

Do you also have a mouse attached? Do you launch PS with the pen or the mouse?
You're saying it does work in other programs and the settings tool?

move along

tjschaeffer

I'm rapidly running out of suggestions, but I would say make sure that your pen is properly configured to match the mouse buttons. Pen Tip should be set to left mouse click, and the pen buttons could probably be set however you desire...

j5

This is killing me.
Seeing someone have an issue and not being able to come over and help.
IT has ruined me.

move along

oakenspirit

j5 wrote:This is killing me.
Seeing someone have an issue and not being able to come over and help.
IT has ruined me.

OH NO! Don't be ruined! -also feel free to come over- I just got a new smoker/grill and some beers burning a hole in my porch waiting for ya-

Im at work so I can't mess till I get home but-

I DID have my mouse plugged in and open photoshop with it- that may be a thing...

also- My friend let me play with his OOOOOLLLLLDDDD wacom tablet last week- my thought is that the drivers are battling each other-

I tried to uninstall every HID driver I didn't recognize just in case but it didn't seem to improve-

I also saw something about the driver install program installing the 32bit version of the driver on 64bit systems so maybe that's it.

The tab works in other programs but photoshop is the only place I have tried it that supports pressure and thats the only thing not working- and yeah, it does work in the settings... I actually played around with that pressure box for like 5 minutes stuck in one of those "THIS IS SO COOL, ITS LIKE DRAWING" modes.

Monoprice has one of those live chat things and I am hoping its an easy fix that they are used to- google just hasn't been kind in helping so far. Ill hit that up when I get home- messed with it too long by myself last night and they closed on me.

I really appreciate you guys though- I am certain when it gets going my art will immediately improve and I will print boats of shirts... I'll send you guys a couple when this happens... ;)

j5

It's the weirdest thing, but once Photoshop "clicks" and starts working, it stays working. I think Launching it with the pen is what got mine to go, same with Illustrator.

Did you see this DA thread?

Smoker and beers!! On it.
I'll bring some slabs of Tri-Tip and we can have a party.

move along

oakenspirit

j5 wrote:It's the weirdest thing, but once Photoshop "clicks" and starts working, it stays working. I think Launching it with the pen is what got mine to go, same with Illustrator.

Did you see this DA thread?

Smoker and beers!! On it.
I'll bring some slabs of Tri-Tip and we can have a party.

Ack- my school blocks DA... I'll check that when I get home- if that wasn't an obvious google hit I likely missed it.

I'll also try the pen startup- Im sure this is something dumb that will fix itself soon.

and tritip! nice- I am a full supporter of byoMEAT parties. though I always get food envy as I normally have the cheapest decent cut I can find. heh

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

*perks up when an otherwise boring technical thread turns to talk of beer and grilling*

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

oakenspirit

bluetuba wrote:*perks up when an otherwise boring technical thread turns to talk of beer and grilling*

Glad we could rope you in!

When I do get this thing working, the first shirt I'm making with it will be a bring your own meat shirt... just so you know. ;)

No one steal that- k

oakenspirit

Ok- update- and I am not asking to keep this annoying thread going. just posting a bit of closure (or at least temporary closure...)

I tried a pile of things and STILL can't get it to work in photoshop...

Installed GIMP... pressure works fine there...

reInstalled Illustrator...
pressure works fine there (and actually seems like a cool alternative)

I have never really messed with illustrator much (beyond the occasional live trace of hand drawings to make my lines neater) but might start playing around there, at least for now, cause Im sick of fooling with it-

I'll try again in a few days... having too much fun drawing in AI to currently care.