Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake

From my earlier post, I was asked whether there really that much of a difference in length between the two brands ...

Well, you be the judge:

(click to enlarge.)

Both are size large; the grass green AA shirt is @fishbiscuit's Be Yourself and the Anvil is Zombies Chase Me. The AA shirt I purchased new just over a year ago, the Anvil I purchased last week in a thrift shop; it was in its week #6 on the reckoning at the time and probably just worn/washed two or three times (at the most).

meandsecoya

quality posts: 18 Private Messages meandsecoya

I have to say, I really appreciate the choice. Right now, the Anvils are fitting me better in a WL because I've inadvertently gained 15 lbs in the last year. My old AA WL don't fit anymore, but the two AA WXL and MM that I got in a side sale recently fit wonderfully. However, quality-wise, I'm in the minority in that my Anvils are holding up a lot better than those two AA shirts. Both of those have hems that are coming loose and roll. Conversely, one of my kid's Anvil shirts got a pinhole in it that I'm pretty sure she didn't cause since she'd only worn it once. Sooo, all that to say, there's stuff I like about both brands and I'm glad there's a choice. Because of this, while there's an option, if I see something I really like, I'll go with AA to support that choice, and support it being USA made. And hopefully, I'll see something that I can get for my husband during that time since I haven't been able to buy him anything (after two shrunk shirts) since the Anvil's are too short for him. I don't know that an AA will fit since the first time I bought him one I sized up to a 2xl thinking you needed to go up a size and it was a tent. But anyway, I'm willing to give it a try...or at least do some measuring first this time. ;-)

PurplePawprints elsewhere

hughdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hughdog
alexmg2420 wrote:Hey mods/purchasers, I've got a little input on the Anvil vs. AA debate! I am a pretty large guy, yet I prefer the so-called "slim-fitting" AA shirts better. I wear a 3X in both AA and Anvil, but the thing I like best about the AA shirts is that AA shirts are a fair bit longer!

With the new Anvil shirts, I basically have to wear a wife beater under my shirt because at 6'4", the Anvil shirts are just too short if I don't keep my arms at my sides (wearing an extra layer is a pretty big problem here in Florida, especially in the summer). AA shirts, on the other hand, are plenty long enough for me! Not to mention the fact that they're more comfortable and the stitching is better on AA's, but think of the length difference for guys like if you would, Woot!

Yes! This! Exactly this. I am also 6'4", and though woot has tricked me into purchasing some really clever designs in the Anvils, I dislike them, and I can't wash and dry them, as they become far too short. This was never a problem with the AAs. I'll be happy to spend a buck more, though I'd like the option on most of the other shirts, as well.

dreamaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreamaster

WAHOOO!!!!!

My first purchase since

Mar 2, 2012

Thank you for the choice in shirts, I am BACK until the choice goes away!

(up until that date I had purchased over 260 items)

taylasablerose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylasablerose

Chiming in that this ia great first start. I'd literally bought in excess of 60 shirts on the AA blanks, and then after the change I had to give all the Anvil ones I got during the transition away because they looked horrible on me. I'll be back to checking Woot daily, and hoping for a chance to buy from the back catalog on AA! There are a *ton* of shirts I'd buy in a heartbeat if I could get them on AA blanks...

Woots x7 Shirt Woots x81

dreamaster

Yes, open up the back catalog - and I too will buy on AA!

I only have six months worth of wearing a different t-shirt without repeating - and that ain't good enough!

LinenEphod

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LinenEphod

I bought one shirt since the switch and it was so bad that it has kept me from buying any more. Now that I have the option, I will reconsider. If the option becomes permanent, I would buy more shirts off the all designs page. Currently, the Anvil blanks are keeping me from doing this.

2buzzyabee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2buzzyabee

So if AA wins this...does that mean that the daily shirt prices will go up a dollar?

I've watched the site for years, and remember when it was $10 for a daily...then the price rose to $12 (because of rising costs? memory a lil fuzzy)...then the blanks switched to Anvil (again rising costs and also quality complaint?)...so if there is another change are we again going to see an increase in price?

Narfcake

2buzzyabee wrote:So if AA wins this...does that mean that the daily shirt prices will go up a dollar? ...

No idea at this point. As it's noted that this is a limited time, I see it as a trial run to gauge consumer demand/reaction.

Ultimately, the extra logistics may or may not be viable on their end. The lesser profit margin selling AA at $13 versus Anvil at $12 may be a factor too. Or they might just find the volume more than makes up for it. And if it simply all goes well, this option will continue and be offered beyond the dailies, which would mean increased profits and happier customers for having the choice.

No matter the final outcome, I do have to say thanks Woot for offering this option in this meantime.

evilaelf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilaelf

I went from a Women's Large in AA to a Men's Small in Anvil, since Women's Large was the equivalent to a 2X on the new shirts.

I...really don't notice much of a difference between the two. I went to the Men's sizes because they have most of the length that the women's were missing.

I haven't noticed much in quality difference except that some of my favorite AA shirts are a bit faded/washed out looking. The Anvils haven't been worn enough for that yet.

anhonet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anhonet

Hooray for AA!

The Anvil shirt sizing is waaay too slim for this big girl.

I used to buy shirts frequently, but since the switch have bought very few. Basically, why buy what I can't wear? The 3X are too tight in Anvil, but just right in AA.

stephnrich

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stephnrich
CheeseMcGee wrote:As a 6'6" "big guy" I totally agree with this statement! I need the extra length from the AA shirts, totally worth the extra $1 if it means me showing off my belly button less, which is good for everybody!

This sounds just like me too. AA shirts just fit me better. I cant wear an Anvil (and that means I can't buy one.)
I've bought ladies Anvils for my girls, and they do seem to fit better, even if the quality isn't as high as AA.

stephnrich

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stephnrich
CheeseMcGee wrote:As a 6'6" "big guy" I totally agree with this statement! I need the extra length from the AA shirts, totally worth the extra $1 if it means me showing off my belly button less, which is good for everybody!

This sounds just like me too. AA shirts just fit me better. I cant wear an Anvil (and that means I can't buy one.)

I've bought ladies Anvils for my girls, and they do seem to fit better, even if the quality isn't as high as AA.

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle

Sweet Feathery Jesus, thank you!

A reason to shop here again...

If only the latest Walmazan reprints were on AA... I'd have dropped close to 2 bills on that business... Especially for Cupcakes on Grass Green!

falaflewaffle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages falaflewaffle

I am very pleased with the new option and I hope it ends up being more than just a limited time thing.

Thank you for providing this. Not only is it better for me, since the anvil small isn't small enough. It is also good for the American economy and supporting workers rights. That is one thing that impressed me with your site originally. A company that was supporting artists, supporting fair working conditions (choice in shirt manufacturer), and providing the public with awesome shirt options.

I hope you guys choose to stay awesome...and that you print some nice designs so I can put my money where my mouth is

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

Assuming this is an experiment to see how much people like AA, the sales figures are not encouraging so far. Of course we don't know what percentages are for each blank, but totals seem to be below average for the little I looked at.

As for myself, nothing has quite grabbed me enough for a sale yet.

dreamaster

2nd purchase since last year!

I can feed my t-shirt addiction again - THANX WOOT!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
thatrobert wrote:Assuming this is an experiment to see how much people like AA, the sales figures are not encouraging so far. Of course we don't know what percentages are for each blank, but totals seem to be below average for the little I looked at.

As for myself, nothing has quite grabbed me enough for a sale yet.

I'd be surprised if they expected people to buy shirts that don't appeal just because they are on AA. I know there was a bit of a mad-rush during the closeout, but that was for reckoning shirts IIRC.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
j5 wrote:I'd be surprised if they expected people to buy shirts that don't appeal just because they are on AA. I know there was a bit of a mad-rush during the closeout, but that was for reckoning shirts IIRC.

True. Although I've been trying to talk myself in to buying these last few shirts just to get some fresh AA in my closet!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

j5 wrote:I'd be surprised if they expected people to buy shirts that don't appeal just because they are on AA.

Indeed. I desperately want to purchase as many AA as possible to put action to my words, but there hasn't yet been anything I want to own. Alas, alack, and woe! I only hope that they keep this experiment on long enough (indefinitely would be nice, thanks) to allow my wallet a few depletions (fingers crossed for this weekend). Time is necessary--as well as a good variety of designs/styles--to give a reasonable idea of how worthy it is to continue, I feel. Also, gentle shirt.woot officials: why didn't you throw in a mention of the blank option in your weekly shirt.woot email? Seriously lost opportunity, that.

hallygirl911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hallygirl911

I seriously hope the AA shirts end up coming back to stay. I still wear and love all the AA woot shirts I bought before the switch. I've only bought one shirt for myself since then and the anvil shirt was unwearable for me. It was oddly tapered, didn't fit correctly anywhere, and there was no saving it. To Goodwill it went. I haven't been able to talk myself into buying another since because I can't afford a trial and error process at $12 a pop. I hope some good stuff prints so I can vote with my wallet while snatching up some more great shirts.

eahall0718

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eahall0718

I'm one of the few women that wasn't a fan of the AA shirts because thanks to family genetics, every AA shirt that I purchased (no matter what size) made it 3D-HD.

hannahstarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannahstarr

I just received my first woot shirt printed on Anvil and I have to say that it's pretty disappointing. I'm a women's small and the Anvil small looks like a sack on me, whereas the AA small fits just right. I'm hoping the Anvil will shrink a little in the wash but as it is now I'm not going to be inclined to wear this shirt very often (which is a shame because I love the design). I'd gladly pay an extra dollar for a design printed on AA.

pete1123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pete1123

I'm glad there is a choice, but I'm sticking with Anvil. As a girl who is top heavy, I cringe at any mention of AA shirts. Their insistence on superslim fits makes anything I wear stretch out beyond the laws of physics and it is uncomfortable. Women's sizing is straight out and men's is awkward at best. Perhaps if AA would offer some sort of different style? I may be in the minority here, but after the first wash of Anvil, they fit me perfectly!

rinnia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rinnia

Just wanted to add my voice to say that I LOVE the Anvil shirts and absolutely cannot wear the AA. I wear a WL in the Anvil and it fits better than any tees I've ever owned before. AA is just too tight on the bust in every women's size, and if I switch over to unisex, I lose any sort of shaping. I love shirt.woot, but if we lose the Anvil option, I just can't see myself buying anything anymore.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59
Zarabear wrote:Keeping it as an option would be great. However, I'd like to point out a small issue with the women's sizing chart on the AA shirts.

No offense to anyone who can't fit into women's AA shirts, but AA's sizing is on par with other companies that are targeted to the same demographic. Obviously AA's t-shirts blanks are not targeted to anyone in particular, but IMO their brand is targeted towards late teens and early 20 somethings. Compare AA's size chart to those from American Eagle, Forever 21, and Abercrombie & Fitch whose Larges also only go up to a 38 inch bust. Even brands I buy that I consider targeted to a wider audience, i.e. H&M and Express, only run a size larger than AA. AA's Smalls run smaller than those brands but that should mean AA fits a greater percentage of people.

Zarabear wrote:
I'd like to note that the women's XL is only 3/8" larger in the chest than a CHILD size 12. Seriously?

According to AA's Kid's size chart, the K12 is for a child with a 28" chest. Looking at AA's Women's size chart this is comparable to a WXS or WXXS. The huge disparity in the size of the actual shirt comes from the fact that AA Women's shirts are supposed to be form-fitting. From their advertising, I get the impression that the AA 2001 (Woot's AA Men's Blank) is designed to be a standard fitting unisex t-shirt and the AA 2102 (Woot's AA Women's Blank) is for women who want a skin-tight shirt.

Edit: The problem I guess is that Woot caters to a wide variety of people from all over the world who buy their clothes from different stores and expect different sizes/fits. It's hard to make everyone happy, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Narfcake

hannahstarr wrote:... I'm hoping the Anvil will shrink a little in the wash ...

They'll shrink in length, not width. To address that, you'll need to break out the sewing machine (or serger). @ochopika posted a little tutorial here.

Narfcake

pete1123 wrote:I'm glad there is a choice, but I'm sticking with Anvil. ...

The best outcome of this trial run will be if both brands continue to be offered across the line.

If this does continue, the way I see it expanding would be for the side sales, as those print after the orders close (like how TeeFury, ShirtPunch, etc. fulfill their orders). If that's successful, then the back catalog follows, as there will be differences in DTG printer settings; different brands take on the pretreatment and ink differently. The toughest part would be the Top 20, as those are regular runs that are shelf stocked (like a regular store and how Threadless, DBH, etc. fulfills their orders).

hallieirvine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hallieirvine

I will be checking daily now for new shirts! I am very glad the AA shirts are being offered again and I hope that this continues far beyond the "limited time" advertised.

Thanks!!

rentaduckie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rentaduckie

While I do agree this is a step in the right direction, I have to say I see several problems with this.
First, you need to do an email blast to all of your members letting them know. I only found out because I was using the switch from AA to Anvil as an example of a company sizing out smaller sizes, but not getting any media attention over it like Abercrombie and Fitch is getting. This is the first time I've been on this site in about a year. You're not going to win back the customers who have moved on if you don't tell them about it.

Second, unless you run this for a long time, only offering a choice in the daily shirt is going to take a long time to show a significant sales difference. Shirts are a hit or miss, and if the design is Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!, fewer people will buy it. By opening up the top 20 to the AA blanks, you would eliminate that variable and could get an accurate picture.

Third AA is more expensive. Some people will base their choice on that.

Am I the only one who thinks this is all for show? Offer the AA blanks, but don't try to email the people who have left or offer older designs? Keep sales of the AA shirts low? Then Woot gets to say, well, we tried but sales weren't high enough to keep this as an option?

I'd love for Woot to prove me wrong.

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

MOST EXCELLENT! I have bought a couple shirts for other people, but not for myself or my kids on the Anvil blanks. Prepare to acquire my currency.

ejbilynsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejbilynsky

This is fantastic. Honestly, if it's one dollar more - for an all around better shirt which fits nicer and is of higher quality, I'm in. I've tried a few of the Anvil shirts and I really don't like them. Keep AA around and consider bringing it back full scale again - it justifies the slightly higher cost of the shirt and makes your customers happy!

dreamaster

3rd purchase since last year.

I tried to convince myself to buy yesterdays shirt, but everytime I clicked the add to cart button I'd end up on the floor suffering from a seizure of some sorts.

tbrezins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tbrezins

Want to buy AA but need a design that I want to buy first! I will give the Anvil points for a softer fabric, but the neck on the Anvil is horrible, it stretches out so quickly. And also the hem on two of my Anvil are coming loose already when none of my AA have had stitching problems.

arienb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arienb

American Apparel please!

I ordered a lot of shirts with American Apparel, and have continued to after the switch. However, I enjoyed the fitting of American Apparel better. If I love a design, I'll still get it, but I miss the easy fit of American Apparel.

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre

Super pleased to grab a new shirt today. State of denial is just my type. Yay Woot! PS wish wish wish you could get the top 20 in. SO want a few more shirts sliding down the charts.

dreamaster

4TH t-shirt since last year!

(sensing a pattern yet woot?)

Open up the past designs so I can get all the t-shirts I missed out on because they were on anvil blanks only!

duffchief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duffchief

Why can't we keep both? I can't speak to men's shirts, but with the women's shirts I have found the AA's fit so much nicer, are a better quality, and don't become mishappen the way the Anvil shirts do, although I understand the sizing of the Anvil shirts allows more people the option to buy a shirt that will fit.

dreamaster

Yes! Keep both!

For the love of Spaghetti Monster Keep both!

That way i can buy a crapload of t-shirts!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dreamaster wrote:Yes! Keep both!

For the love of Spaghetti Monster Keep both!

That way i can buy a crapload of t-shirts!

LEMMING! ♥

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items