WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Time again for another march toward t-shirt doom! Discuss this week's life-or-death struggle for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Reckoning page all week long.

Here's how the Reckoning week runs now: every Tuesday at midnight, we retire the previous week's lowest-selling shirts and launch this here discussion thread. Tuesday around noon we'll post the all-new, all-early Reckoning Recon. On Friday, we'll juice demand and prime the pump with a little weekend reminder post. Finally, on the following Monday, the Day of Reckoning post sounds the last call for the Reckoned shirts. All of those posts will be linked below. Monday night (or Tuesday morning), it starts all over again. The Reckoning, she is a hungry beast...

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Opening number for this week...though again updates seem to work randomly :S

1. Wizard of Aw's - 4467
2. Starcheology - 4703
3. The Unstealthiest Ninja: Flight School - 3810
4. Trust Me -6777
5. A Rooster Development - 2573
6. Disturbing - 1859
7. That's no moon - 5966
8. The Passenger - 4254
9. It is not ordinary men - 1504
10. Don't take my word for it - 2602
11. Winter has come - 2049
12. Call Box in Blue - 2242
13. The Binge - 65333
14. Just my day job - 1200
15. Serotonin and the Dopamines - 4361
16. Shirt of Stealth - 1674
17. It's what I do best - 1256
18. Nocturnowl - 3181
19. Wishful Thinking - 10926
20. Nevermore - 54976

21. Songbirds of North America - 3278
22. Proactive Procrastinator - 1290
23. A Separate Peace - 2559
24. The ALternative Atomic Model - 1241
25. Unexpected guests - 1518
26. I don't want to be cold - 763
27. Rebel - 502

Don't Judge Me - 762

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Just wanted to say congrats to @TJost - at 191 weeks, his design from the very first derby he entered has survived long enough to moved him into second place for longest continuous streak in the reckoning!

That puts @RamyB into third place, with 190 weeks.

First place, which is progressively increasing, goes to @haxrox with Nevermore. Starting in 20th place this week, will it finally fall victim to the reckoning? We'll find out next Monday ...

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

I can't make sense of the reckoning... How can Disturbing be higher than Don't take my word for it which sold more on debut than mine has total?


Nothing follows.

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
taternuggets wrote:I can't make sense of the reckoning... How can Disturbing be higher than Don't take my word for it which sold more on debut than mine has total?



From what I know first day sales don't count for the reckoning. Normally good sales on the first day usually correlates to good sales the days after....but it's not an exact rule...and there are many other factors

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
wirdou wrote:From what I know first day sales don't count for the reckoning. Normally good sales on the first day usually correlates to good sales the days after....but it's not an exact rule...and there are many other factors



Not only that but also, and Narfcake can correct me if I'm wrong here, but woot uses a... future-based... method of determining reckoning rank. So instead of just dividing a shirt's post-debut sales by the number of days it's been available, woot actually takes the total post-debut sales and divides by the total number of reckoning days for the shirt.

In other words, one shirt could be selling at a better pace than another, but be lower in the rankings because it hasn't had very many post-debut days. What you'll see in that case is the shirt rise in the ranks as the days go on.

At least, that's my poorly explained understanding of it.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Wait....what?

What witchcraft is this?


Nothing follows.

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
taternuggets wrote:Wait....what?

What witchcraft is this?



...some sort of maths?

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
tjschaeffer wrote:...some sort of maths?



I was told there would be no math. :/


Ok... things are jockeying around to a more logical position (to me at least).

I really should have paid more attention to all those number discussions on this thread.


Nothing follows.

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
taternuggets wrote:I was told there would be no math. :/


Ok... things are jockeying around to a more logical position (to me at least).

I really should have paid more attention to all those number discussions on this thread.



I paid attention to many of them and still there are new things I discover every month XDXD

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
tjschaeffer wrote:... At least, that's my poorly explained understanding of it.


You got it.

For a bit more background, it was first posted here.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Narfcake wrote:You got it.

For a bit more background, it was first posted here.



Thank you.... I think I understand it now.


Nothing follows.

phoenix4159


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenix4159

I thought once the rankings went up they were static for the week. But I'm absolutely sure I saw The Raven at #21 (it being a memorable event), so how has it moved back up to 19?!

I'm also curious as to why the current DoR is being shown as May 14th on the comments page...

chimunga


quality posts: 7 Private Messages chimunga

There are four shirts on this list that I would buy right now if they were offered on AA. I keep trying the anvils, I really did give them a chance, but I just do not like them.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
phoenix4159 wrote:I thought once the rankings went up they were static for the week. ...


It's very dynamic.

Well, it used to be, at least. Week #237 stood out for me in that there was an 11-way fight for survival, 15-20th place ended up essentially tied when it closed, and lots of discussion.

PixelPants


quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

The t-rex may not have got everything he was after but he certainly had a great stay in the Top 20. Serious thanks to everyone who helped keep it around for so long.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
PixelPants wrote:The t-rex may not have got everything he was after but he certainly had a great stay in the Top 20. Serious thanks to everyone who helped keep it around for so long.




Congrats on making it another week.

So I checked it at about 10 minutes till and nevermore was at 21.... I thought this was it. lol


Nothing follows.

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Narfcake wrote:It's very dynamic.

Well, it used to be, at least. Week #237 stood out for me in that there was an 11-way fight for survival, 15-20th place ended up essentially tied when it closed, and lots of discussion.



Ah, the week Acquired Taste finally fell just after its one year anniversary. It was like the beginning of the end for old shirt.woot.

I'm frankly amazed that Nevermore is still in the top 20, given how many times it has dipped into the danger zone over the past year. That shirt really is blessed.

PixelPants


quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
taternuggets wrote:Congrats on making it another week.

So I checked it at about 10 minutes till and nevermore was at 21.... I thought this was it. lol


Thanks taternuggets. There must have been only be 1-2 sales separating them.
Seems my message was premature but the sentiment holds true. Ongoing appreciation!

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

I wasn't here to get the closing numbers but I'll post opening numbers tomorrow

Congrats PixelPants for escaping the danger zone! That is one of my favorite shirts and I'm glad it made it!:D

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
taternuggets wrote:Congrats on making it another week.

So I checked it at about 10 minutes till and nevermore was at 21.... I thought this was it. lol


That was a surprising closing! There wasn't much movement the past few days (not that I paid much of any attention either), so I was pretty sure Wishful Thinking would've indeed be a goner, paving way to the youngest 3rd place that I recall.

On that note, is Nocturnowl the last RamyB shirt we'll see here? Considering that even a potential bonus of a $2k+ Cintiq wasn't enough to get him to enter the derby (but did draw what's-her-name in ...)

citizencoyote wrote:Ah, the week Acquired Taste finally fell just after its one year anniversary. It was like the beginning of the end for old shirt.woot.


It pretty much was.

At this point, even if the option for AA becomes permanent, it's going to be an uphill challenge; those that left(*) - and there are plenty - might never come back. I'm not talking just about shirt either - overall site traffic has been down by almost half since last year.

I'm frankly amazed that Nevermore is still in the top 20, given how many times it has dipped into the danger zone over the past year. That shirt really is blessed.


As long as folks keep complaining about how much IT SUCKS!!!, it'll keep surviving ...

(Aww, crud. I think I just gave it another week ...)

PixelPants wrote:Thanks taternuggets. There must have been only be 1-2 sales separating them.


Probably. And yay for survival!

wirdou wrote:I wasn't here to get the closing numbers but I'll post opening numbers tomorrow


Given that the numbers aren't updating in any timely matter, new opening numbers may be a futile attempt.

(*) - Not just customers, but long-time staff members leaving too.

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
Narfcake wrote:Given that the numbers aren't updating in any timely matter, new opening numbers may be a futile attempt.



I know....but at least they can be just a guide in case anyone wants to nose around