+ Add a Comment

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Hungover

Oh kitty... get yourself together!
(Another one with animals drawing on other animals. It's fun to draw!)

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: High Energy At Club Fission

No text this week. Nice though.

Nothing follows.

windwounder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windwounder
Re: Last Bite

Is that a Vampire?

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
flemtone wrote:Oh. Oh yes.

I would SO wear this on a gig!

Cool! Thanks for the sweet words

mapinto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto
Re: Let's Play!

Haha, phallic.

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy
Re: Game Night

WHAT IS GAME NIGHT!!!!?

I wonder if anyone will get the reference. Nice design buddy, I'm there with you.

ksschneider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksschneider
taternuggets wrote:No text this week. Nice though.

Oh dang, totally missed that, hah. I guess this design will have to wait until next time! :p

ravensfan21

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ravensfan21

Red solo cup... I fill you up... proceed to party! I can't wait to buy this one!

Re: Let's Play!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Midnight City

This would be a great shirt to wear at the premier of Pacific Rim

romans001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romans001
Re: Last Bite

its up to your imagination ;)

ochopika

Staff

phox325 wrote:Ha! The Great Catsby!

The art is nice and I like the style, but how is it not pop-culture? It's definitely referencing something that just got turned into a movie...again.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Re: Liquid Skills

I love this style.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
Mavyn wrote:Why is the milk angled?

you know...he's been shaking the bottle like crazy XD jk, you are right, I'll put it less angled for the file, as it's a minor change thanks!

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero

julesvern97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julesvern97
ochopika wrote:The art is nice and I like the style, but how is it not pop-culture? It's definitely referencing something that just got turned into a movie...again.

I suppose it depends on what "pop culture" is. The book is circa 1925. It's a tough call. Would a new movie on Romeo and Juliet mean that was pop culture now, and for how long?

I ran with the idea that pop-culture was Star Wars, Dr. Who, etc.

Julie R. Neidlinger
Lone Prairie Art | julesvern97

uncle0wnage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncle0wnage
Re: Sims city

No text this week, bud.

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
Re: Sims city

This is a cool concept, but I think it's going to be rejectinatored with pop-culture references :\

edit: oh yeah, and no text.

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
Re: A Little Foggy on the Rules

This needs more votes. Brilliant concept!

omarfeliciano

Re: Silent Party

Very cute and fun design!

omarfeliciano

Re: After Party

The lipstick is a nice touch!

ochopika

Staff

julesvern97 wrote:I suppose it depends on what "pop culture" is. The book is circa 1925. It's a tough call. Would a new movie on Romeo and Juliet mean that was pop culture now, and for how long?

I ran with the idea that pop-culture was Star Wars, Dr. Who, etc.

I'd think that pop culture would include anything in current movies, t.v, music, ect... since it's now a brand new movie, I'd think this would be included. The Hobbit was written in 1937 sooo... is that also not pop?

julesvern97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julesvern97
ochopika wrote:I'd think that pop culture would include anything in current movies, t.v, music, ect... since it's now a brand new movie, I'd think this would be included. The Hobbit was written in 1937 sooo... is that also not pop?

I'm not sure. It's a good question. I don't think of The Hobbit (or LOTR) as pop culture, even it is popular *in* culture now. I associate it with an older book I read as a child. It's a tough call. We'll just have to let them decide.

Julie R. Neidlinger
Lone Prairie Art | julesvern97

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
ochopika wrote:I'd think that pop culture would include anything in current movies, t.v, music, ect... since it's now a brand new movie, I'd think this would be included. The Hobbit was written in 1937 sooo... is that also not pop?

Just to add my $0.02 - Without the title (which isn't on the shirt), this is just two cats in 20's garb and a nice Art Deco backdrop.

There's no props that actually *identify* the design as being related to TGG (i.e. no Rolls-Royce w/ a dead cat behind it, a smoking gun, etc.) As I read the Derby theme, the Roaring Twenties came to mind, which (if we published our collaboration email thread) was where the idea came from.

I don't remember who gave the guideline, but a good test for "pop culture" is "if you need to know an outside source reference to understand the design, it's probably Pop Culture." As it is, you don't need to know the Great Gatsby to understand the 20's night scene...

(Again, just my $0.02)

ochopika

Staff

julesvern97 wrote:I'm not sure. It's a good question. I don't think of The Hobbit (or LOTR) as pop culture, even it is popular *in* culture now. I associate it with an older book I read as a child. It's a tough call. We'll just have to let them decide.

Yea, I see how it wouldn't seem like pop if it wasn't "big and flashy" when you were most familiar with it. Anyways, yes it is up to them. Good luck!

jezzebelljc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jezzebelljc
Re: Life of a star

You ever wonder what the stars are up there doing? Well, now you know. Night life explained...

6 colors on black

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
ochopika wrote:Yea, I see how it wouldn't seem like pop if it wasn't "big and flashy" when you were most familiar with it. Anyways, yes it is up to them. Good luck!

Thanks, Ocho! Good luck to you, as well :-)

jezzebelljc

Those have got to be some of the cutest owls I have seen. Love your vision and concept for this theme!

jezzebelljc

Re: Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

This is a fantastic design! I really like the blue fridge light effect. I must admit that you have a much healthier fridge than I do though :D Mine would have salsa and water with some cheese and yogurt.

nprado

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nprado

Beautiful!! Other dimension

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula
Re: After Party

Great!!!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
taternuggets wrote:I'd love life more without that.

Good job cd... +1

LOL

tomspc

ochopika wrote:The art is nice and I like the style, but how is it not pop-culture? It's definitely referencing something that just got turned into a movie...again.

Actually TGG movie is not new, it's a remake. The original movie came out in 1974, starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.

Just because 2 cats are dressed in 20s garb does not make it The Great Gatsby. What about the disco cat?...is that John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever? I mean you can take most of these designs and tie it to some pop culture reference. I think calling this shirt TGG is a stretch.

My 2 cents.

tomspc

What about all these Red Solo Cup shirts? Isn't that pop culture? I mean Red Solo Cup was a hit song and still a big party song. Beer pong is pop culture. I mean come on, the red solo cup is iconic.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Liquid Skills

Very funny ! I think the women drives the message home !! Good job GMV.

deborah11565

Re: A Star is Born

This is fantastic ! +1

deborah11565

Re: Reach for the stars

I like this, nice concepts. +1

deborah11565

Re: Modern Jazz

Nice to see an outside the box idea ! Whoop ! +1

delightfuldelirium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages delightfuldelirium
Re: Ninja stars

So cute! Love it!

delightfuldelirium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages delightfuldelirium

Adorable

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
Re: The Vomit Comet

Those celestial bodies really know how to party.

But, as with everyone, know when to say when.

Yes, I'm talking to you, Halley (or is that ISON? Those Comet brothers all look alike to me). It looks like you've had one too many.