skievlan wrote:Woot is the difference between the aa shirts and that other one. Wait.. can it really be that obvious? Tell me because I don't know what to do. Too many choices.
If you feel like reading a lot, here are three threads in which fellow Wooters have chimed in on:
American Apparel or Anvil? For A Limited Time, Take Your Pick
Time to Change Our Shirt: Shirt.Woot Now Using Anvil Blank Tees
Let's Talk Lady Sizes
If you don't feel like reading through all that, then here's my perspective:
- Manufacturing: American Apparel (AA) shirts are made in the USA from fabric knitted by themselves in the USA - Los Angeles, CA to be specific; wages start at $12/hour. Anvil shirts are made in Honduras or Nicaragua from fabric knitted by themselves in Honduras; wages are about $8/day.
- Sizing, length: Anvil shirts start off shorter and shrink more; my experience is 2.5% shrinkage when line dried and 10% after a couple trips through the dryer. AA shirts start off longer and shrink less - <1% line dried, 2.5% dryer.
- Sizing, width: Both start off about the same. AA will tighten up a slight bit, Anvil will loosen up a slight bit. For a pictorial comparison on both these aspects, click here; both are size men's large - the AA shirt underneath is over a year old, the Anvil is less than 6 weeks.
- Cut, sleeves: Anvil is a cut larger and longer versus AA.
- Cut, neck line: Anvil is cut much much wider than AA; here are a couple pics.
- Cost: Wholesale, Anvil shirts cost less than AA, hence the difference in your purchase price.
- Feel: This is subjective, but I find the Anvil shirts to lose some softness after a few washes. By no means do I find them "like sandpaper", though.
- Overall: Everybody is different, and there are enough differences between the two that would sway the consumer towards one or another.
On a personal note, I will GLADLY pay the extra dollar for the AA shirts (which retail for $18, blank).
For everyone, remember to pay attention to the sizing charts!
No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS!
Unsure between standard and American Apparel (AA) options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.
Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support