WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Fractals

Speed to First Woot:
1m 20.996s
First Sucker:
antegon
Last Wooter to Woot:
sixxmudd
Last Purchase:
23 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 32% of Shirt Woots
Top 30% of all Woots
Woots Sold:
474

Purchaser Experience

  • 0% first woot
  • 95% second woot
  • 5% < 10 woots
  • 0% < 25 woots
  • 0% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 8% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 15% one year old
  • 75% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
4%
3%
2%
3%
2%
4%
7%
5%
8%
9%
5%
4%
6%
3%
5%
3%
3%
3%
3%
4%
4%
3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Percentage of Sales Per Day

2%
4%
82%
4%
3%
3%
1%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


dfunk29


quality posts: 48 Private Messages dfunk29

This looks like one of those "how many triangles are in this picture?" puzzles.

lichme


quality posts: 2950 Private Messages lichme

steiner53


quality posts: 2 Private Messages steiner53

I would jump right on this, except for the fact that it's not an equilateral triangle...
There's the big triangle which has all three of its points, and then the second smallest one (hint - it's rotated 180 degrees) doesn't complete its point at the bottom...
Was super excited for a moment there.
Still a great shirt if you're not a perfectionist!
Love the design otherwise!

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Fractals are really cool! They're basically visual representations of repetitive patterns that start out seemingly simple and become more complex. The basic shape is repeated at every level of the object: it might look like a triangle at 10', then you put your glasses on and it's still made of triangles, and then you put it under a microscope and it's still made of triangles (making up triangles making up triangles...).

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
steiner53 wrote:I would jump right on this, except for the fact that it's not an equilateral triangle...
There's the big triangle which has all three of its points, and then the second smallest one (hint - it's rotated 180 degrees) doesn't complete its point at the bottom...
Was super excited for a moment there.
Still a great shirt if you're not a perfectionist!
Love the design otherwise!

If you're a perfectionist, you'll be pleased to hear that your interpretation is incorrect. The "triangle" to which you refer, saying that it's "rotated" and "missing its point at the bottom," doesn't exist. This design isn't an equilateral triangle; it's a fractal.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

steiner53


quality posts: 2 Private Messages steiner53
neuropsychosocial wrote:If you're a perfectionist, you'll be pleased to hear that your interpretation is incorrect. The "triangle" to which you refer, saying that it's "rotated" and "missing its point at the bottom," doesn't exist. This design isn't an equilateral triangle; it's a fractal.



Didn't mean to imply that it isn't a fractal, because like you said, it definitely is, I'd just appreciate it rocking both!

idealreptiles


quality posts: 2 Private Messages idealreptiles

Close the doors of perceprion and get the Lizard King before the snosberries are all gone.
Anyone else see the gnome?

amnewsboy


quality posts: 48 Private Messages amnewsboy

That's not a pyramid scheme.

THIS is a pyramid scheme.

safyrejet


quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

You mean I'm supposed to be selling t-shirt parts to my gullible friends!? Now you tell me. No wonder I'm poor. I mean you guys print that "not for use as pants" tidbit but leave us in the dark about selling t-shirt parts for so long.

This shirt almost looks like one of those ugly Christmas sweater t-shirts to me. All cross-stitchy.

I may be wrong, but I think it's the thickness of the line that prevents the triangles in the word "Fractals" from being perfect equilateral or whatever was being talked about up there. But then maybe I'm missing something somewhere and you all should just ignore me. *edit* Oh, wait, I see what the fuss is about. That not perfect triangle.

idealreptiles


quality posts: 2 Private Messages idealreptiles

All the triangles are there
The last like has been fraggled
And requires microscope

goldennaga


quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldennaga

Okay, so I guess I'll complain, too.

This is not the common triangle fractal that you usually see, specifically the Sierpinski Triangle.



I would even go so far as to say that, given the fact that this isn't showing an infinitely repeating pattern, but merely the suggestion or beginning of one, it isn't truly a fractal, but rather an early iteration of a fractal generating algorithm.

Calling this a fractal would be like calling the third or fifth or two hundred and thirty seventh iteration of the Koch Curve algorithm a fractal.



The iterations are not fractals, no matter how high you go. They only become fractals when the iterations go to infinity.

Ah well, maybe I'm taking this too seriously...

amytobol


quality posts: 3 Private Messages amytobol

I clicked on this shirt pretty hard, because I thought it glowed in the dark.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Ha, nice. Very tempted by your Connoisseurus Rex shirt, I hadn't seen that before.

pegtor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pegtor
dfunk29 wrote:This looks like one of those "how many triangles are in this picture?" puzzles.



105 by my count!

skatimmy737


quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

What font is "Fractals" in? I like it.

aarphacker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aarphacker

I haven't been around for awhile - is there any difference other than made in the US for the anvil vs american apparel t shirts in texture, fit, durability, nerdness,... . Thanks!

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
aarphacker wrote:I haven't been around for awhile - is there any difference other than made in the US for the anvil vs american apparel t shirts in texture, fit, durability, nerdness,... . Thanks!


I posted a comparison here.

Squirrelhunter70


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Squirrelhunter70

Broke down the t-shirt because I wanted to figure out the relationship between the number of triangles and how far down you are on the shirt.

The first row has 0 upside down, 1 rightside up triangles.
The second row has 2 upside down, 3 rightside up.
3rd has 6 upside down, 7 rightside up.
4th has 14 up, 15 down.
5th has 30 up, 31 down.

(0,1)
(2,3)
(6,7)
(14,15)
(30, 31)

Looks like powers of 2 to me. Add 2 to the first pair to get the second, add 4 to the second pair to get the 3rd, 8 to 3rd to get 4th, 16 to 4th to get the 5th.



Now I've fulfilled my nerd quota for the month and can go back to drinking beer and watching sports uninterrupted.

aarphacker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aarphacker

Woody1


quality posts: 14 Private Messages Woody1

Not to outdo the nerd in you...It's a triangle. Triangles are assumed to be two-dimensional plane figures, unless the context provides otherwise. There are no upside-downs and right-side ups. If fact there is no thickness, depth or points in space (no pun intended) either. If anything you could argue length if you had been given a scale but the only thing you can say is that the measures of the interior angles of a triangle in Euclidean space always add up to 180 degrees.

Also your math is wrong. Example: row 2 has 4 triangles with points up and 2 with points down if the line segments touch. The triangle on row 1 grew by 1 level. If your argument is going to be that the line segments do not touch then there are no triangles with points down at all.

Squirrelhunter70 wrote:Broke down the t-shirt because I wanted to figure out the relationship between the number of triangles and how far down you are on the shirt.

The first row has 0 upside down, 1 rightside up triangles.
The second row has 2 upside down, 3 rightside up.
3rd has 6 upside down, 7 rightside up.
4th has 14 up, 15 down.
5th has 30 up, 31 down.

(0,1)
(2,3)
(6,7)
(14,15)
(30, 31)

Looks like powers of 2 to me. Add 2 to the first pair to get the second, add 4 to the second pair to get the 3rd, 8 to 3rd to get 4th, 16 to 4th to get the 5th.



Now I've fulfilled my nerd quota for the month and can go back to drinking beer and watching sports uninterrupted.



800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't
Woot I am bored with you. I want woot 1.0 back!

SenSurround334


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SenSurround334

What is the fractal pattern for this shirt, exactly? I can't figure it out...

lonelypond


quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond

Ah, I'll leave the math to others and just say the smaller fractals in the letters make me think of writing things in stacks of neon green gems.

TheGolux


quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 1m 19.336s
First Sucker: antegon
Last Wooter to Woot: lovenigma
Last Purchase: a minute ago


First day sales 366 AA & Anvil
First day posts 22

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565

Hey QQ.... did anyone send this message ??? You may want to check out our 5 Steps to Creating A Best-Selling, Beloved, Hilariously Perfect Shirt Design blog post. That has lots of great tips that are worth considering.

Just asking.... roflol !!

nomadslim


quality posts: 4 Private Messages nomadslim
skatimmy737 wrote:What font is "Fractals" in? I like it.



The font is Sierpinski Black designed by Frodo7 -- http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/295313

He has some other great fractal fonts as well.

sightsofsounds


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sightsofsounds

man just saw this one.

wish i could still order it on AA