zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

buraindo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buraindo

Bless you.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

edit:
my bad, just watching out for woot is all. sorry about that alex solis!
edit 2:

original post:
oppsies.... http://noxographer.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/30-shock/

bad alex solis, bad.

[MOD: Per tgentry's post below: This design was originally submitted to Threadless in Nov. of 2010 by well known artist Alex Solis. It was unprinted, but has been shared throughout the Internet since then: http://www.threadless.com/submission/310247/pikAAACHOOO]

that was fun while it lasted!

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Just imagine the electrical nightmare that's going to come from that sneeze!

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 87 Private Messages Thirdbase9
baybei wrote:Just imagine the electrical nightmare that's going to come from that sneeze!

Shocking!

I don't know.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

You know what's funny, in the some of the more recent DS generation games (I don't recall which set is started with) you actually want your pokemon to catch a virus. If they get the PokeVirus it'll spread to other pokemon you have in your party and it improves their stats. It goes away after some time and they get some sorta happy face symbol or something if they've had it. I always thought that was weird, you want your pokemon sick?

Yes, I still play Pokemon. Shut up.

Love the shirt. *Bless you*

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose

How can this not violate IP rights?

Edit: I mean the license rights for pokemon, not Alex Solis's artwork.

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

I loved this when I first saw it originally. I think it would be better with some bigger lightning bolts.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

This design was originally submitted to Threadless in Nov. of 2010 by the very well known and talented Alex Solis. It was unprinted, but has been shared throughout the Internet since then:

Original Submission

alexmdc

quality posts: 8 Private Messages alexmdc

Where's Ted Healy? when was that created? that has to be a traced of mine, I created mine about 3 years ago

http://www.threadless.com/submission/310247/pikAAACHOOO

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
bpr2 wrote:oppsies.... http://noxographer.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/30-shock/

bad alex solis, bad.

I'm sorry, but if I may interject, I strongly believe that in this case, someone stole Alex's work, and simply colored over it and flipped it. Which looks to be the case, not the other way around. The best way to prove who created it first, would be to show a place where Alex has posted it online PRIOR to March of 2012.

Because honestly, I don't see why Alex would STEAL any work from anyone, when he's FAR more talented than this person... who seems to have an unhealthy attachment to kleenex. (seriously, go through the guy's page)

EDIT: Saw TGentry's post. I KNEW the picture above had to have been stolen from Alex. It had all the earmarks of being stolen.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

alexmdc wrote:Where's Ted Healy? when was that created? that has to be a traced of mine, I created mine about 3 years ago

Thanks Alex.

(FYI: I cleaned out some of the posts lamenting it.)

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

JadenKale wrote:
Because honestly, I don't see why Alex would STEAL any work from anyone

This.

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525
tgentry wrote:This design was originally submitted to Threadless in Nov. of 2010 by the very well known and talented Alex Solis. It was unprinted, but has been shared throughout the Internet since then:

Original Submission

Thanks for clearing that up, tgentry. In for 2. I'm so happy!

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

Since I just finished watching it..... reminds me of

JadenKale

tgentry wrote:This.

Exactly

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

Viruses! Gotta catch 'em all!

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

lonelypond

quality posts: 414 Private Messages lonelypond

Aw shucks, adorable. And I know a Pikachu fanatic.

isnus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages isnus
alexmdc wrote:w-t-f when was that created? that has to be a traced of mine, I created mine about 3 years ago

Thank you very much for providing that link and explanation.

I liked the shirt (and even preferred it over the other image) but when I saw the accusation/other image I was pretty disappointed at first. I wrote up a response and even noted that if it were found not to be true that I would update my comment and buy the shirt.

I went from awesome to frustrated to loving the community in like 3 minutes. No romantic jokes please ;)

I am glad that the other image was shared, but even more-so that it was followed up on (and in a civil manner for that matter; on the internet!?).

Anyways, I digress and will finish my order. It seems like a perfect gift for a little brother who grew up with Pokemon and has a birthday coming up.

darkmagician1184

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darkmagician1184
Invisiblemoose wrote:How can this not violate IP rights?

this was my thoughts exactly. doesn't woot typically try to steer away from things that toe the line too closely (and this seems to have actually crossed the line).

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

wow ...hello people. great design tonight. we all know how poketmens is loved by all. feels like teefury to me.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
ChefRAZ wrote:wow ...hello people. great design tonight. we all know how poketmens is loved by all. feels like teefury to me.

pocketmen? what a silly thing to love.

that was fun while it lasted!

MegaOri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MegaOri

I've always wondered. Is there some copyright infringement going on with these things?

dysti

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dysti
darkmagician1184 wrote:this was my thoughts exactly. doesn't woot typically try to steer away from things that toe the line too closely (and this seems to have actually crossed the line).

i think these type of designs are covered by the liberal interpretation of the 1st amendment covering satire. as long as it's not a direct reproduction of IP you can get away with it. can anybody verify this notion?

JadenKale

darkmagician1184 wrote:this was my thoughts exactly. doesn't woot typically try to steer away from things that toe the line too closely (and this seems to have actually crossed the line).

Woot holds different rules in place for dailies vs derby entries. They have the time to research and get the okay to run a daily (case and point, I've had an daily take about 3 months before I was informed it would be printed). Whereas, a derby print needs to be ready to go by week's end. If it possibly violates copyright or other such rules, they don't have the time to research it.

And when the rare instance of a stolen design IS discovered, despite woot's research, they have removed it, and run a random tee sale instead.

Tracid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tracid

Why does American apparel cost more than Anvil?

phoebus13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages phoebus13

Heh. I see what you did there... It's like a pikachu, but he's sneezing, and going "ah-choo!" Like, if he were about to introduce himself to a prominent movie executive, but suddenly started exhibiting allergy symptoms, and instead said, "Hi, I'm Pik...ah-choo! ...excuse me, I need to go blow my nose." And then he never did get to properly introduce himself. Which ended up costing him the leading role in an upcoming feature film... for which he was perfectly suited. From then on he was reduced to living out the remainder of his years in complete obscurity, working in a soul-crushing, life-sucking, dead-end job. All because of that one missed opportunity. sigh...
Get it?

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee
dysti wrote:i think these type of designs are covered by the liberal interpretation of the 1st amendment covering satire. as long as it's not a direct reproduction of IP you can get away with it. can anybody verify this notion?

"To be sure, the requisite level of creativity is extremely low; even a slight amount will suffice. The vast majority of works make the grade quite easily, as they possess some creative spark"

As long as there is proof of a creative spark you are protected. It's all about what will hold up in court. Andy Warhol painted soup can labels. You could draw a silly nose on the Mona Lisa and argue your case for it.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/499_US_340.htm

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
ChefRAZ wrote:... feels like teefury to me.

Not enough mashup or excessive cuteness for TF.

Tracid wrote:Why does American apparel cost more than Anvil?

American Apparel is made in the USA where their factory workers start at over $12/hour. Anvil is made in Honduras or Nicaragua, where wages are less than that per day.

blackbirdps3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbirdps3

I would like to see a response from woot on this. They reject simple silhouettes of other characters in the derbies, yet this and other legal infringements are okay. ?

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

In regards to IP rights, does Woot pay licensing fees for all the copyrighted characters they make shirts of? It really seems questionable how many copyrighted characters/concepts are blatantly used to generate profits for Woot. Are licensing fees paid?

I realize that I've never seen any King Features or Disney characters on Woot shirts, so perhaps Woot avoids characters from the most litigious companies.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

If you've ever enjoyed a Pokemon game but you don't own a 3DS yet, now's the time. Pokemon X/Y looks killer.

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz

My little brother (may he rest in peace), introduced me to saying "pika" before sneezing about three years ago.

I have been doing it ever since. Takes a little practice, but it's a lot of fun I recommend it.

In for 1, and so excited about this shirt!! Big shout out to the artist. Thanks!!

asianglow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asianglow
doomtothee wrote:"as they possess some creative spark"
http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/499_US_340.htm

i see the sparks

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Huh. Someone knew something when they mentioned trolling in the writeup.

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear

Really?
Here ya go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
tattooedbear wrote:Really?
Here ya go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

This is not for education use. It is not for political satire. It is not a protest.

Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

Clearly, this is copyright infringement. I really like the shirt, but you can't do this without being sued. It would be one thing if this was a small company noone cared about, BUT you are infringing on a PATENTED, COPYRIGHTED image from a multibillion dollar company (Nintendo) by a multimillion dollar company (WOOT) owned by a Multibillion dollar company (AMAZON).

Do yourself a favor and remove it.

I know people are going to say it who cares, but as an software developer, I agree with it.

This does NOT fall under fair use unless you are suggesting that woot, the producer of this shirt, has rented the rights to use the original pikachu image.

Sorry.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

This will go perfect with your Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS XL... provided you can still find one.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
Tracid wrote:Why does American apparel cost more than Anvil?

because it's better.

theycallmemrdo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theycallmemrdo

Is the quality of the material/ lasting better on American Appeal.
and are they sized or shrinked differently because i have always bought size medium clothings on woot so i need help on what to get.