WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If your shirt's in my derby it don't matter if it's black or white. Actually, it matters a great deal, because this derby is all about minimalism: white ink on a black shirt. In other words, how many penguins and zebras can get crammed into one design? 

No content restrictions. Text and pop culture OK. 

Design must be on black shirt and use only white ink. 

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets

Right in my wheelhouse.

Nothing follows.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Left in my wheelhouse...

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I really like the concept, but I don't really like black shirts. Pewp!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
taternuggets wrote:Right in my wheelhouse.

Do I smell a series?!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Sounds fun. I'm in.

taternuggets

kevlar51 wrote:Do I smell a series?!

lol... this could hurt my reckoning sales....

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I wonder if Ignorant is up for a collabo.

move along

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
j5 wrote:I wonder if Ignorant is up for a collabo.

The betrayal is still too fresh.

j5

ignorant wrote:The betrayal is still too fresh.

Mine or T-nugz?

move along

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Even woot knows that this derby is going to be filled with a lot of penguins and zebras. LOL

but they forgot about Cats and Doctor Who

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

The use only white ink rule dose that main that we have to use just 1 white ink or can we use 6 different shades of white ink?

j5

jfsiv wrote:The use only white ink rule dose that main that we have to use just 1 white ink or can we use 6 different shades of white ink?

Halftone it, this is a single spot color requirement.

move along

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
j5 wrote:Mine or T-nugz?

Mostly nuggets.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
jfsiv wrote:The use only white ink rule dose that main that we have to use just 1 white ink or can we use 6 different shades of white ink?

There are no shades of white. There are shades of grey, and other tones plus white, but only one "white."

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

For anyone up who is amused by this... I'm trying to decide between these 3 setups. Thanks!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I would go with "C"

jasneko wrote:For anyone up who is amused by this... I'm trying to decide between these 3 setups. Thanks!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
jasneko wrote:

C read best for me too.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 73 Private Messages oakenspirit
jasneko wrote:For anyone up who is amused by this... I'm trying to decide between these 3 setups. Thanks!

I'm an A kind o' guy...

orabbit

quality posts: 30 Private Messages orabbit

Any enthusiasm for this? It's in pretty rough shape at the moment, but I think you can see where it's going.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's the silly thing I'm submitting.

Dalexander the Great by Ape Lad, on Flickr

ste7enl

It seems in the 3.5 years since I did the original of this a few other people have come up with....similar concepts. Nothing too nice though. Anywho, I made a bunch of improvements to my original and I think this is the perfect place/derby for it.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

"It's True Purpose"

"Have a Seat"

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Which one of these white stuff designs is better?

taternuggets

Spiritgreen wrote:Which one of these white stuff designs is better?

I can't really decide which one is better... but I could never support discarding any part of an oreo.

Nothing follows.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

'Not My Type'
This idea came to me earlier in the week.

@Spiritgreen - I prefer the 'Freedom' version. The character angle seems to appeal more than the info graphic aspect.

wolfcrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfcrazy

My wife will kill me if I come home with another white on black shirt.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake

I personally like the caption layout with B:

Otherwise, C.

Freedom!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks omar, pixel and oaken! Hmmm decisions. If anyone else has a preference, feel free to chime in!

Edit - and thanks Narf!

[quote postid="5443559" user="Spiritgreen"]Which one of these white stuff designs is better?

@spirit - I like both visually, cute and nice movement - but not sure about the text on either, I agree with tater - (no discarding any oreos!) and I don't like the choice of the word 'freedom' with the second one... (maybe just an exclamation like 'whee!' would work better?).

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

Hear, hear!

taternuggets wrote:I can't really decide which one is better... but I could never support discarding any part of an oreo.

oakenspirit

I think it should say "NOW!"
or "ACTIVATE!"

... keep em guessing...

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:Any enthusiasm for this? It's in pretty rough shape at the moment, but I think you can see where it's going.

Love seeing the prework here! I'm so glad you draw these things out.

I think it has potential.

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:

It seems in the 3.5 years since I did the original of this a few other people have come up with....similar concepts. Nothing too nice though. Anywho, I made a bunch of improvements to my original and I think this is the perfect place/derby for it.

I think this is pretty rad- wonder if WILL YOU CONTINUE would be more fitting...

orabbit

quality posts: 30 Private Messages orabbit
ste7enl wrote:

The text at the bottom is bugging me. It's pretty small, and the font doesn't fit the style for me. Maybe more of a brush script? This one might be cool. You might have to edit it down a little to fit. Maybe a pun on 8-bit instead of two-bit? "A two-bit gumshoe in an 8-bit kingdom." I dunno.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
jasneko wrote:@spirit - I like both visually, cute and nice movement - but not sure about the text on either, I agree with tater - (no discarding any oreos!)

Good point. Perhaps "remove" instead of discard, and "extra" instead of optional?

... and I don't like the choice of the word 'freedom' with the second one... (maybe just an exclamation like 'whee!' would work better?).

That actually sounds better! But then, what do I know about foods making exclamations when liberating what's binding them? ...

oakenspirit

PixelPants wrote:
'Not My Type'
This idea came to me earlier in the week.

Heh- I had a shirt idea in the same vein that said WHITE WORDS ON BLACK SHIRT but saw similar shirts exist...

I ended up thinking of one that says....

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED

SUDO !!

I googled it and found nothing- I am surprised this hasn't been done, so... Has this been done?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Thanks very much for the help, I will probably go with the exploded diagram one. I asked on FB too and that won out overall. :^)

Lots of good designs already this week. Looking sharp, you guys!

ste7enl

orabbit wrote:The text at the bottom is bugging me. It's pretty small, and the font doesn't fit the style for me. Maybe more of a brush script? This one might be cool. You might have to edit it down a little to fit. Maybe a pun on 8-bit instead of two-bit? "A two-bit gumshoe in an 8-bit kingdom." I dunno.

Yeah, actually it kinda annoyed me too. I lost all my fonts 2 days ago when my computer crashed and I had to reformat, so I was stuck with my original choice. I'll look into it.

oakenspirit wrote:I think this is pretty rad- wonder if WILL YOU CONTINUE would be more fitting...

I was thinking the same thing.

taternuggets

wolfcrazy wrote:My wife will kill me if I come home with another white on black shirt.

Just tell her it's a white shirt with a lot of black ink.

Nothing follows.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

[quote postid="5443530" user="CrescentDebris"]"It's True Purpose"

Please remove the unnecessary apostrophe from "it's."