tacitcat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tacitcat

I think the green leaf might be a reference to the game Animal Crossing. One of the characters in the game is named Tom Nook, after the Tanooki suit.

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle

Awwwww.... c'mon woot... C'mon man!

I was just about to click that big yellow button, when I noticed no listing for AA, that's dirty pool!

It's a shame, this is a great design, I would've bought in on AA no questions asked.

xkaj0x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xkaj0x

Love the shirt!

elgatoesloco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elgatoesloco
xninjagrrl wrote:Damn, they finally brought back AA and i didnt even get a chance to reap the benefits as i realized it too late

Ditto

jago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jago

I too have to chime in, perhaps our voices will be heard. I was all ready to get this shirt, until I saw no AA. Yes, the other kind is ... technically clothing, but AA is simply higher quality, well worth the extra money.

Dang.

I have only one quality post.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ALRIGHT, PEOPLE.

Let's move on from the AA woes and try to focus on the design. We've got oodles of threads for the AA/Anvil debate.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
PemberDucky wrote:... Let's move on from the AA woes and try to focus on the design. We've got oodles of threads for the AA/Anvil debate.

Yes, but if you don't link to those threads, how would they know?

(refraining from further comments about the blanks...)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
skemmis wrote:Paul Simon, a fan of Mickey Mantle, was asked during an intermission on The Dick Cavett Show why Mantle wasn't mentioned in the song instead of DiMaggio. Simon replied, "It's about syllables, Dick. It's about how many beats there are."

Exactly my point.
Ref:

00000100 wrote:I did it all for tanooki
(Come on)
Tanooki
(Come on)
So you can take that Yoshi
And stick it in an (Egg)
Stick it in an (Egg)
Stick it in an (Egg)
Stick it in an (Egg)

herewith, "ta" replaces "tha" phonetically.

contrasted with:

Micky Mantle wrote:I did it all for the tanooki
(Come on)
the Tanooki
(Come on)
So you can take that Yoshi
And stick it in an (Egg)
Stick it in an (Egg)
Stick it in an (Egg)
Stick it in an (Egg)

move along

badlass

quality posts: 7 Private Messages badlass

AWW! No more AA?? I have a friend who wants to buy cept she needs the smaller AA sizes

Edit: just saw the warning to refrain from commenting purely on AA/Anvil issue, sorry! Liked the design enough to spread it on FB but couldn't get my friend to buy due to sizing.

CraigVerb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CraigVerb

I'm okay with no AA option. I live down the road from a AA store and I'm just bored with their stuff.

Tight fit tees make us look like 80's male prostitutes. Im a male, I drink I need a shirt that can handle skinny or a beer or two. Man up. Anyway I only got this as a spare shirt for my Thailand trip.

nowacz11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nowacz11
cappo wrote:Didn't the green leaf only give you the Raccoon Tail?

But, then, I haven't played any Mario games since the N64.

Correct. The full tanooki suit was acquired by obtaining what looked like a smaller version of the tanooki suit itself. At least in SMB3 which I am assuming this is a reference to.

tdziekan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdziekan
nowacz11 wrote:Correct. The full tanooki suit was acquired by obtaining what looked like a smaller version of the tanooki suit itself. At least in SMB3 which I am assuming this is a reference to.

Right, well you may not have been an Animal Crossing player, so this can have multiple meanings for real Nintendo players

nowacz11

tdziekan wrote:Right, well you may not have been an Animal Crossing player, so this can have multiple meanings for real Nintendo players

Animal Crossing must have been sold out at the video game store the last time I went to buy a new game

tdziekan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdziekan
nowacz11 wrote:Animal Crossing must have been sold out at the video game store the last time I went to buy a new game

I do see your point though, it's an obvious Mario reference but more subtle if your an Animal Crossing fan. Regarding SMB 3, I would never waste a tanooki on the speed ship world 8

vanessahadd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vanessahadd
PemberDucky wrote:ALRIGHT, PEOPLE.

Let's move on from the AA woes and try to focus on the design. We've got oodles of threads for the AA/Anvil debate.

It's a huge let down for such a great design to be put on a boxy, poor quality t shirt. I haven't bought a woot shirt for myself in a long time (except when there were random shirts printed on AA) since I received one as a gift that was on an Anvil. It was the first time I frowned putting on a woot shirt, and I use it only to sleep in.

People complaining about this is worth paying attention to. There wouldn't be nearly as much complaining if it weren't a fantastic design.

nowacz11

tdziekan wrote:I do see your point though, it's an obvious Mario reference but more subtle if your an Animal Crossing fan. Regarding SMB 3, I would never waste a tanooki on the speed ship world 8

I can understand where you are coming from. And yes, that is something we can surely agree on, if you aren't taking on the speed ship world 8 as small Mario, you should pass the controller to someone who will.

plasticpopcorn4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages plasticpopcorn4

I wish there were a fabric in between both shirt brands...

AA gets crazy thin after several washes and the other one is crazy cheap/rough but none the less awesome design so i bought one

chemicat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemicat

I was about to get one, but saw the AA option was gone. Nevermind

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
CraigVerb wrote:Tight fit tees make us look like 80's male prostitutes.

There is no shirt in the world that could make me look like an '80s male prostitute.

I also love this design; I also would have bought it if I could get it in a size that fits me.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 1m 56.115s
First Sucker: vvedge
Last Wooter to Woot: ultigus
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago

First day sales 844 Anvil only
First day posts 58

midori4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midori4
debbernaut wrote:oh c'mon. American Apparel shirts have really thin fabric and the CEO is a perv. Plus, they run hella small bc he only wants thin people wearing his clothes.

No one gives a damn if the CEO is a jerk.

I don't care if it's thin. I washed the AA shirt dozens of times and they have held up well considering. I have washed the new ones 1-2 times and they look like I washed them as many as the AA.

And I'm 6 feet and 195 pounds and the AA ones fit fine, they are like an inch smaller in length.

Kattywampus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kattywampus
tacitcat wrote:I think the green leaf might be a reference to the game Animal Crossing. One of the characters in the game is named Tom Nook, after the Tanooki suit.

"Tanooki" is the romanization of "Tanuki", which is a small canine with raccoon-like markings native to Japan. Because it is such an obscure animal, it sometimes gets translated to "raccoon" when Japanese stuff gets brought to the west. Tanuki are important in Japanese mythology and culture, and are said to be able to use transformation magic when they pick a certain kind of leaf. This is why the artist used a leaf, why Mario games use various leaves, and Tom Nook and his kids use leaves for their symbols in AC.
FYI, Tom Nook is a tanuki, also.

Other animals said to use transformation magic are foxes (kitsune), which are the rivals of the tanuki. That's why we have fox Luigi now. And since you're an animal crossing fan, you should remember who Tom Nook's sneaky rival is...(hint: he's got a ginkgo leaf on his apron)

Σ:3

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
PemberDucky wrote:ALRIGHT, PEOPLE.

If you didn't want us to complain about the Anvil shirts, you shouldn't have taken away AA.

Seriously, the design is AWESOME, I just can't spend money on it when it's printing on Anvil, that blank sucks... Printed on an AA would've been dollars in your bank.

Sorry, great design + poor blank = no sale

thehookshot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thehookshot
Kattywampus wrote:"Tanooki" is the romanization of "Tanuki", which is a small canine with raccoon-like markings native to Japan. Because it is such an obscure animal, it sometimes gets translated to "raccoon" when Japanese stuff gets brought to the west. Tanuki are important in Japanese mythology and culture, and are said to be able to use transformation magic when they pick a certain kind of leaf. This is why the artist used a leaf, why Mario games use various leaves, and Tom Nook and his kids use leaves for their symbols in AC.
FYI, Tom Nook is a tanuki, also.

Other animals said to use transformation magic are foxes (kitsune), which are the rivals of the tanuki. That's why we have fox Luigi now. And since you're an animal crossing fan, you should remember who Tom Nook's sneaky rival is...(hint: he's got a ginkgo leaf on his apron)

Very informative and correct Kattywampus. The green leaf also came down to a separation of colors from brown. I wanted a color that would pop and obviously green works for this purpose!