WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you consider food art?
  • 27.6% - Yes! 270
  • 27.9% - Nope! 273
  • 44.6% - Only occasionally. 437
980 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

If food can be art, most food is kitsch.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Do you consider food art?

It may look good, but I an't gona
put it on my wall..

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

When it's delicious and in my mouth, food isn't just art--it's everything.

So, yeah, food can def be art. Art exists in any medium where--through craft, intent, and/or outcome--creation and/or experience are lifted from the mundane to some kind of sublime.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Culinary arts.
Q.E.D.

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

It can be...but not all splattered paint is a Pollock, you know?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

prorer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prorer

I also considerate it chemistry

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Even though I spent many years as a chef, I never considered food as art or myself an artist. A great chef is a craftsman, and great food is crafted.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
j5 wrote:Culinary arts.
Q.E.D.

I took three years of industrial arts and no one created anything remotely resembling art.

When I studied culinary arts, a few of my fellow students mastered the art of inducing nausea.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

No. I also never understood why so many people post pictures of their food on the various social media parts of the interwebz.

But still I do understand that art is unique in the mind of the creator and the mind of the beholder. So while I don't think of food as art I can understand why some people could. I imagine a chef who truly finds energy, expression, or inspiration in the food creation process would consider his or her work an art.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Of course food is art, not everybody can make food into art but that doesn't mean there isn't artistic food.