kzero0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kzero0

Hi Wooters,

So...a few weeks ago I bought 10 reprints and noticed the huge decline in print quality (and bonus awful sour-y stench).
Here's a comparison of my Misfortune (left, washed at least 20x) compared with the "new" shirt (right) I got:

My shirt looks a lot more new and vibrant compared to this dull faded smelly shirt.

Music Pirate is probably the worst. The black is barely visible. It shows more in the photo because of light reflection.

Being upset that I bought these knockoff-quality shirts at $18 a piece, I took upon myself to contact customer service for at least some sincere explanation.

Just when I thought this was a new low, Woot didn't fail to amaze me.

I'm surprised how many people praise Woot's customer service.
I e-mailed customer service and they flat out ignored my e-mail even after they sent out the generic auto-reply. (Yes, I check my spam daily.)

After I sent out a third e-mail, I got in touch with one Tyler who just simply stated:
"Sorry but we do not issue exchanges/refunds for shirts unless the product is defective or we send the wrong shirt product."

To be clear, I asked him to take a look again and tell me if these shirts are "not defective, instead, are of perfect quality and are intended to look like this?"

In which I received, "The shirt is intended to look like that."

Wow.

Have some shame. Don't you think this is disrespectful to the designers and other fellow wooters?

Sigh... I used to like Woot.

P.S. Does anyone by any chance have a Music Pirate shirt which I can compare to?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Both of those issues are related to the DTG process. The smell will go away with washing--that's been confirmed by several members--and the color difference is because of the different process. They mentioned it would not look at bright. With black ink on asphalt, there's not much they can do, as that's on ongoing problem with ANY black on asphalt printing, even in screen printing. TBH, those don't look bad to me in comparison to off center, tilted, color missing, or off track prints I've seen.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kzero0 wrote:Hi Wooters,

So...a few weeks ago I bought 10 reprints and noticed the huge decline in print quality (and bonus awful sour-y stench).
Here's a comparison of my Misfortune (left, washed at least 20x) compared with the "new" shirt (right) I got:

My shirt looks a lot more new and vibrant compared to this dull faded smelly shirt.

Music Pirate is probably the worst. The black is barely visible. It shows more in the photo because of light reflection.

Being upset that I bought these knockoff-quality shirts at $18 a piece, I took upon myself to contact customer service for at least some sincere explanation.

Just when I thought this was a new low, Woot didn't fail to amaze me.

I'm surprised how many people praise Woot's customer service.
I e-mailed customer service and they flat out ignored my e-mail even after they sent out the generic auto-reply. (Yes, I check my spam daily.)

After I sent out a third e-mail, I got in touch with one Tyler who just simply stated:
"Sorry but we do not issue exchanges/refunds for shirts unless the product is defective or we send the wrong shirt product."

To be clear, I asked him to take a look again and tell me if these shirts are "not defective, instead, are of perfect quality and are intended to look like this?"

In which I received, "The shirt is intended to look like that."

Wow.

Have some shame. Don't you think this is disrespectful to the designers and other fellow wooters?

Sigh... I used to like Woot.

P.S. Does anyone by any chance have a Music Pirate shirt which I can compare to?

i'm sorry for the frustrations. as mavyn pointed out, the "greek salad" scent is a side effect of our digital print process. it does go away after 1 or 2 washes. (i can vouch for this, although i admit the smell is initially off putting, especially if you're not expecting it.)

and as mavyn also keenly pointed out, the not-so-bright colors you're seeing is the result of our printing process. black + asphalt is a challenge.

i am genuinely sorry that we disappointed you, and especially sorry that it took so long for us to respond.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

kzero0

Mavyn wrote:TBH, those don't look bad to me in comparison to off center, tilted, color missing, or off track prints I've seen.

Wait, what? These are better quality shirts? What happened to the good old woot I used to like?

I'm probably even more amazed at the thought of people tolerating with this kind of print quality.

This is such pathetic bs.

Mavyn

kzero0 wrote:Wait, what? These are better quality shirts? What happened to the good old woot I used to like?

I'm probably even more amazed at the thought of people tolerating with this kind of print quality.

This is such pathetic bs.

No, not really tolerating it.

There have been a lot of changes, some good and some not good. The daily prints are still MOSTLY printing properly, but are on a shirt blank many don't like and exclude many long time woot customers by size (the old blanks did as well, just in the opposite direction). Side sales prints are hit or miss in terms of printing properly. The DTG prints, as you've noticed, are on the new blanks, smell, and have a very different look than the original in many cases. The change in cost upset many. The change in shipping costs for international buyers is the most recent source of frustration.

Woot has lost customers over each of these items. The number of votes needed to win the derbies is less than half what is was just 18 months ago.

There have been internal changes--turnover, and I'm guessing policy changes as well--that have altered the formerly top-notch customer service too. There were always issues with being sure an email went through, but now, those emails are often not being answered and the timeline for doing so is stretching. No, it's not a good thing, and I suspect many on woot staff are NOT happy with it either but are limited in what they can say to the customers.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Mavyn wrote:No, not really tolerating it.

There have been a lot of changes, some good and some not good. The daily prints are still MOSTLY printing properly, but are on a shirt blank many don't like and exclude many long time woot customers by size (the old blanks did as well, just in the opposite direction). Side sales prints are hit or miss in terms of printing properly. The DTG prints, as you've noticed, are on the new blanks, smell, and have a very different look than the original in many cases. The change in cost upset many. The change in shipping costs for international buyers is the most recent source of frustration.

Woot has lost customers over each of these items. The number of votes needed to win the derbies is less than half what is was just 18 months ago.

There have been internal changes--turnover, and I'm guessing policy changes as well--that have altered the formerly top-notch customer service too. There were always issues with being sure an email went through, but now, those emails are often not being answered and the timeline for doing so is stretching. No, it's not a good thing, and I suspect many on woot staff are NOT happy with it either but are limited in what they can say to the customers.

Mavyn, Nice summary for those of us who haven't kept up in the last year. Thanks!

Mavyn

Keep in mind that my last paragraph is my opinion and speculation only, based on what I've read in the forums and my own experience. My own exchanges with customer service have been limited, and they're always either sent a replacement I accepted or refunded my money.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle
kzero0 wrote:Hi Wooters,

[pictures]

I had the same issue when I ordered TCIAL, where it looked very faded and smelled vinegar-y. The smell washed out but the color just looked dull.

You may find it best to wait for side sales - they reprinted TCIAL a while back, so I picked up another and that time it was screen printed instead of digital (which turned out much better, IMO). Plus they're only $15 instead of $18, so that helps!

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

kzero0

Mavyn wrote:

Huh. Now that you mentioned it, I just noticed that the winning derby this week only got 200 votes. Shocking and yet so sad. No wonder they had to turn to reprints, but with this kind of print quality + quality control I don't think there'd be many happy customers left to support them.

arryielle wrote:I had the same issue when I ordered TCIAL, where it looked very faded and smelled vinegar-y. The smell washed out but the color just looked dull.

You may find it best to wait for side sales - they reprinted TCIAL a while back, so I picked up another and that time it was screen printed instead of digital (which turned out much better, IMO). Plus they're only $15 instead of $18, so that helps!

Oh hey, I went through the whole linked QCconcerns thread and saw your photos:
http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5358034 .
The bottom left DTG looks pretty bright so at least it seems like DTG is capable of printing decent non-faded shirts... don't know how to feel about that tho. Yay? Not to mention that it also took 2 tries and they still didn't get it right. That back got portaled away...

I never bothered checking the specs (T-shirt manufacturer, print method, design size...) when the shirts were 10(12) bucks. I ordered, they came, and looked great. As a returning customer, you would think that shirts inching toward the not-so-cheap zone would be at least the same quality if not better.

Surprise!

I get the fact that they're printed to order so it costs more but shouldn't that be considered with the price spike? I probably would've bought the same shirts if they were $20~25. Hey, they're great designs and I want that awesome shirt.

Now? They're just great designs. Just right-click and save-as next time, I don't think these pixels will come faded and off. That'll save me a lot of time, effort, and fury dealing with this mess.

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca

When I got my Almost Human in the mail today I was very disappointed as you could only clearly make out the white and red areas... The robot's body is nearly invisible unless you look at it at just the right angle... And based on this thread it doesn't sound like there's much of an opportunity for refund or exchange, so I guess I'll have to make a really awesome shirt into a sleeper tee that is never seen in public... Bummer.

Mavyn

norcalbecca wrote:When I got my Almost Human in the mail today I was very disappointed as you could only clearly make out the white and red areas... The robot's body is nearly invisible unless you look at it at just the right angle... And based on this thread it doesn't sound like there's much of an opportunity for refund or exchange, so I guess I'll have to make a really awesome shirt into a sleeper tee that is never seen in public... Bummer.

Can't way without seeing a picture, but that sounds accurate for the original screen print on AA, too. Black on asphalt is tough to get to work.

norcalbecca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norcalbecca
Mavyn wrote:Can't way without seeing a picture, but that sounds accurate for the original screen print on AA, too. Black on asphalt is tough to get to work.

Here it is... my camera isn't so great at capturing what the human eye sees as the tee looks brownish in the photo, but I assure you, it's on a charcoal gray t-shirt.

Mavyn

I'll see if I can locate mine to take a pic for comparing. Might be this weekend...I think that tee is in the stuffed tote in the basement.