ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee

tgroomes wrote:Despite liking both Marvel and DC characters I have a hard time appreciating this. The replacement of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima with comic characters, in my eyes, takes away from the seriousness and sacrifice it took for these men to be able to raise the flag. During this battle there were over 26,000 American casualties including 6,800 dead American men who sacrificed their lives to help end World War II and ensure the freedom of the world from German and Japanese control.

That was my gut reaction, too. :-/

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

MasterFroglicker wrote:I don't understand the Marvel/DC hate in the context of this shirt.

They are both American companies, created in America, with American characters. Despite their differing camps, they are still united as American icons, just like how many Americans have opposing beliefs and ideals, but are still united in America as Americans. I think that was part of the point of the shirt, not "I like these heroes so Ima stick em on a design together"

Although I see and like all the movies, I'm not really what most would consider a comic book fan. But to the best of my understanding, mixing Marvel and DC characters would be akin to making a movie with Darth Vader, Captain Kirk, Luke Skywalker, and Spock, etc. all together in the same story (which is what I relate to on a deep personal level.) Sorta sacrilegious to hard-core fans.

ReginaFilangee

klimber wrote:Would it be possible to get this in a version with Stormtroopers and Red shirt Enterprise crewmen so I can get a different bunch of nerds complaining about a fairly cool shirt. I would buy this for my kids in a heart beat.

Hmmmm....does my post above satisfy you? LOL

ReginaFilangee

larry45 wrote:As a retired U.S. Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, I see no disrespect to our flag in this shirt design. I sincerely doubt the artist tried to insult anyone's sensibilities here.

I would agree with you there--I think the artist was just trying to design a cool shirt. But my initial gut feeling remains the same, even having never served in our military myself. My father did, however (also Navy.)
THANK YOU for your service to our country!!!

ReginaFilangee

tandkfanley wrote:Raising the flag by Super Heroes? And a mix of Super Heroes at that! Our "Greatest Generation" is exactly that - a generation of Super Heroes, white and black, and often hardly more than kids. This design is a great tribute to our heroes - our fathers and grandfathers, just in time for Father's Day.

A good perspective to consider, also. Thanks. Maybe looking toward the future can be accomplished while still remembering and revering the past at the same time.

Taranach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Taranach
tgroomes wrote:Despite liking both Marvel and DC characters I have a hard time appreciating this. The replacement of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima with comic characters, in my eyes, takes away from the seriousness and sacrifice it took for these men to be able to raise the flag. During this battle there were over 26,000 American casualties including 6,800 dead American men who sacrificed their lives to help end World War II and ensure the freedom of the world from German and Japanese control.

Seriously?
What about the thousands of colonists who died trying to wrest control from the monarchs who dominated and used them? What about the creators of the flag who used it to rally a fledgling country to that initial freedom?

Get off your high horse here... respect for the flag and the soldiers who sacrificed themselves for what it represents is fine... holding it to be inviolate and a sacrilege is foolish... Humor is a tradition leading back to our founding fathers.

Wooting since July 2K4

tippypaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tippypaws

Great design. I think it's really cute!

raidermon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raidermon

Count the stripes, squid. Can't have a white stripe at the top.
--Retired USAF

larry45 wrote:As a retired U.S. Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, I see no disrespect to our flag in this shirt design. I sincerely doubt the artist tried to insult anyone's sensibilities here.

schnitt101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schnitt101
jrs1980 wrote:Mixing Marvel and DC? Nonononononono.

Hey, man. This is America. The great superhero melting pot. Get with the program. ;)

ReginaFilangee

raidermon wrote:Count the stripes, squid. Can't have a white stripe at the top.
--Retired USAF

Where do you see a white stripe at the top??? I see a red one.

raidermon

Top one is white in the design. You can even count the stripes down the right edge of the design: 12 stripes. To his credit, he got the number of stars correct (6x5 and 5x4).

ReginaFilangee wrote:Where do you see a white stripe at the top??? I see a red one.

mook1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mook1981

It's a shirt with a cute design on it, yet half the people who commented are crying that it's disrespectful. What about congress dropping a deuce on the constitution, that's ok because we can't see it? Seriously, use your energy to actually do something instead of whining about a freaking shirt...

davidwot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwot
Taranach wrote:Seriously?
What about the thousands of colonists who died trying to wrest control from the monarchs who dominated and used them? What about the creators of the flag who used it to rally a fledgling country to that initial freedom?

Get off your high horse here... respect for the flag and the soldiers who sacrificed themselves for what it represents is fine... holding it to be inviolate and a sacrilege is foolish... Humor is a tradition leading back to our founding fathers.

"High Horse"??!!
or
Humble Respect?
I choose the latter.

I work in a field in service of people with notable needs, and we all use humor as a way to get perspective - Including the people served.

But I'm sorry - Some things just are not to be humored. IMHO the Iwo Jima flag raising should only be humbly respected and remembered as such - Lightening it with humor and cuteness has no place with this one in our history.

(Refer to my previous post - with the memorial pic in it - for details.)

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
curtisuxor wrote:Why has no one commented on the fact that this is a re-creation of the famous Iwo Jima flag-raising photograph?

The Flag Code, Marvel/DC, nor political beliefs is not what one should be concerned about with this shirt.

Yes as the son of a veteran of WWII in the Pacific,this makes me very sad.He passed away years ago but the memory of him screaming and crying out in his sleep,reliving the horror this design makes"cute"will stay with me always.Such is the world we live in.
So tell me to lighten up and get off my high horse till you are blue in the face.You could make better use of your time.

lenoremeeks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lenoremeeks
sterhill wrote:Manufactured In: Honduras/Nicaragua

Why can't we get shirts, especially that have patriotic themes, made in the USA?

NOT in for any!

Oof. Good point. The irony is a wee bit too much.

dave17

radi0j0hn wrote:Happy to see you even acknowledged "Flag Day," Woot!

But...but...we've been told it's not a flag...

ReginaFilangee

raidermon wrote:Top one is white in the design. You can even count the stripes down the right edge of the design: 12 stripes. To his credit, he got the number of stars correct (6x5 and 5x4).

Oops....sorry. You are, of course, correct. I was reading the thread from yesterday's shirt in another window. When I saw your comment about the stripe, I thought I was still in that thread and checked that pic (yesterday's shirt) and couldn't figure out how you weren't seeing that top red stripe. I thought either you or I was color-blind! LOL.

This one does indeed show a white stripe at the top of the flag. Epic fail on that point alone, imo, no matter how one might feel about any of the other issues brought up. Sad, because I was otherwise beginning to warm up to this design a wee bit.

P.S. My brother's son is active USAF. Thank you for your service to our country.

dave17

mook1981 wrote:It's a shirt with a cute design on it, yet half the people who commented are crying that it's disrespectful. What about congress dropping a deuce on the constitution, that's ok because we can't see it? Seriously, use your energy to actually do something instead of whining about a freaking shirt...

I can do both.Surprisingly most humans are capable of holding similar positive or negative opinions about many things at once.
"Man I hated that movie"

"Oh please I can't believe you are crying over that movie when people are dying in concentration camps in North Korea!"

"Hey you're right that movie was awesome!Thanks for setting me straight!"

dave17

ReginaFilangee wrote:I would agree with you there--I think the artist was just trying to design a cool shirt. But my initial gut feeling remains the same, even having never served in our military myself. My father did, however (also Navy.)
THANK YOU for your service to our country!!!

Agreed.I know the artist meant no disrespect.Still I can't help how I feel.So you other folks can insult and belittle my feelings all you want.I understand your point of view.

dave17

mook1981 wrote:It's a shirt with a cute design on it, yet half the people who commented are crying that it's disrespectful. What about congress dropping a deuce on the constitution, that's ok because we can't see it? Seriously, use your energy to actually do something instead of whining about a freaking shirt...

How about take your own advice and quit whining about the whiners?

IceWoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IceWoot

Second shirt in a row that I would've bought instantly if AA shirt. Will have to consider very hard on this since it is not for me.

I am not a hard core fan but I still feel it is not quite right to mix DC and Marvel.

I think that putting Superman in this design isn't quite right since Superman is Kryptonian and not actually American born.

Maybe the Avengeres theme would be better for the design, overall. Swap out Superman and Captain America for Ant Man. Swap out Flash and put Captain America there. Keeps it in the Marvel universe and along with the Avengers theme.(Not the current movies)

I do think this design is good and appealing, overall.

wildrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildrider

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it was the Avengers OR the League -- but it's such a strange mix it's just too odd for words and since I just bought three other Woots, I'm going to pass this one up.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
IceWoot wrote:
I think that putting Superman in this design isn't quite right since Superman is Kryptonian and not actually American born.

That is complete nonsense, aside from Captain America himself there is no superhero MORE appropriate. Superman is an adopted American and has embraced Truth, Justice, and the American Way like no other. He's the most famous American cultural comics icon in the world.

You're lucky I'm in a good mood today!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

intheblue16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intheblue16

I think they made a video game too!

TheGolux wrote:Don't you kids remember the various Marvel/DC and DC/Marvel comics? http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/05/18/ask-chris-106-the-best-marvel-dc-crossover-and-superman-christ-figure/

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

Would have instantly purchased on American Apparel.

(second day in a row)

painhayn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages painhayn
--Retired USAF

AHH, you just ruined it for me...I was ready to hit buy...now I can't stop thinking about it

"There is no limit to what man can do if he doesn't care who gets the credit"

lclark07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lclark07

Instead of thinking of it as disrespect, try thinking of it as an analogy for children to understand the kind of "heroes" those men were. Before you start to tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I am a former Navy Hospital Corpsman, my husband is a current active duty Hospital Corpsman, and our grandfathers were all active duty in the Navy during WWII.

thumperchick

quality posts: 241 Private Messages thumperchick

Pfft. I don't buy it. All those Super strong Iron willed heroes of America would have had that up in a Flash. Unless they got stuck in a Spider web.

lclark07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lclark07
--Retired USAF

larry45 wrote:
As a retired U.S. Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, I see no disrespect to our flag in this shirt design. I sincerely doubt the artist tried to insult anyone's sensibilities here.

Well said Master Chief!

nabiscc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabiscc

Yeah, I do wish there were an odd number of stripes on the flag....

rayray8822

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rayray8822
lclark07 wrote:Instead of thinking of it as disrespect, try thinking of it as an analogy for children to understand the kind of "heroes" those men were. Before you start to tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I am a former Navy Hospital Corpsman, my husband is a current active duty Hospital Corpsman, and our grandfathers were all active duty in the Navy during WWII.

Aren't those KIDS raising the flag anyway . . . dressed as superheroes? If you look at it that way (kids in their superhero costumes reenacting the Iwo Jima flag raising) then what's to be offended about? It's just cute.

bdpelc05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdpelc05

Come on people, while yes there may be a vague resemblance to the flag raising at Iwo Jima, I highly doubt that the artist had any intention of serving disgrace to that historical moment/memory.

If you are getting so picky about the details of that image, there were only four marines all working together to push/pull the flag up. While this design depicts 5. Also the flag is completely different and the flag staff in the cartoon image is capped by a ball finial as opposed to the flat topper of the Iwo Jima flag.

There...not the same image and kind of a fun/patriotic design.

theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

Marvel still wins 3-2

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

raidermon

bdpelc05 wrote:Come on people, while yes there may be a vague resemblance to the flag raising at Iwo Jima, I highly doubt that the artist had any intention of serving disgrace to that historical moment/memory.

If you are getting so picky about the details of that image, there were only four marines all working together to push/pull the flag up. While this design depicts 5. Also the flag is completely different and the flag staff in the cartoon image is capped by a ball finial as opposed to the flat topper of the Iwo Jima flag.

There...not the same image and kind of a fun/patriotic design.

Absolutely. I see it as a kind of homage to Iwo Jima and a much-needed shot in the arm to the anti-patriotism our schools are shoving down our kids' throats. Just wish it had 13 stripes.

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob

Yeah, no nerd can wear this mixing Marvel and DC.

lnettnay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lnettnay
raidermon wrote: To his credit, he got the number of stars correct (6x5 and 5x4).

I beg to differ. The 50 star flag was not adopted until July 4, 1960. The flag raised at Iwo Jima had 48 stars (6 rows of 8). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IwoJimaFlag.jpg

Alaska and Hawaii did not become states until after the war in 1959.

I really only remembered this because I saw a video on Nick at Nite about an error on the show Happy Days where the Fonz was flying the flag from his motorcycle and it had 50 stars.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
StarBob wrote:Yeah, no nerd can wear this mixing Marvel and DC.

But a geek with an open mind can!

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 2m 16.336s
First Sucker: bradsturch
Last Wooter to Woot: yonsonracing
Last Purchase: a minute ago

First day sales 2188
First day posts 76

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet
curtisuxor wrote:Why has no one commented on the fact that this is a re-creation of the famous Iwo Jima flag-raising photograph?

*shrug* I thought it was so obvious. Recognized it immediately and that's part of why I loved this design. But wow, after reading through the thread I'm amazed and kinda sad at how many find something I think shows homage to such an iconic image to be actually insulting...

StarBob wrote:Yeah, no nerd can wear this mixing Marvel and DC.

*raises hand* I can! And will. I'd totally wear something mixing Star Wars and Star Trek too if it was done right.

jfriend624

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfriend624
jrs1980 wrote:Mixing Marvel and DC? Nonononononono.

This shirt is for kids. Do you think they care if you mix the two?