Poll: Art is...
  • 28.2% - Anything that makes you think 237
  • 3.1% - Anything that pushes the boundaries 26
  • 3.4% - Anything on a canvas 29
  • 50.9% - Anything 428
  • 11.7% - Nothing 98
  • 2.7% - I'll explain it all in the comments 23
841 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

One of my Art History professors gave us a tautological argument to describe art that always stuck with me: "Art is what the artist creates." When we asked what makes one an artist, he just laughed and said, "How should I know?"

I wouldn't choose "Anything", although it's the closest. I'll just say that Art is Everything.

Yes, that had a double-meaning.

klemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klemon

Art is something that brings beauty to the world, or something that makes people think, thoughtfully. Ehm. It's complicated. Very complicated.

luckycolts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages luckycolts

The McRib.

sweetkimy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sweetkimy

Anything creative...

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

...emotional. If you have an emotional reaction (good or bad) to observing something then it is probably art. If you don't have an emotional response, then it probably isn't art to you.

jimmygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmygeek

Art is what the artist creates. It is perceived as either an epic creation or an epic failure, usually by others who have trouble drawing stick figures.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Big slice of meatloaf, with mash and corn...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

The marine biologist in my building.

move along

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

I would say it's subjective. To both the creator and the viewer.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

big thick fatty piece of prime rib with taters cooked in the meat fat under the roast, garlic bread with tons of butter and garlic

oh, are you talking about that other art like paintings and stuff - if so anything that is totally useless - if its functional it ain't art

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284
paulpnevada wrote:...emotional. If you have an emotional reaction (good or bad) to observing something then it is probably art. If you don't have an emotional response, then it probably isn't art to you.

So politicians, lawyers and vegan cooking are art?

Flipit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flipit

Staff