smurfage

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smurfage

Did anyone else read a little too deeply into the email sent out on the 19th? Perhaps I'm being way too optimistic, but hey, it's worth spilling my thoughts. Let's dissect.

Note: Please sound the "DUH-duh" Law and Order sound after reading each title.

1.) "SPOILER ALERT! The End Times Are Nigh"
-> Foreseeing a large event of sorts, is about to occur, and the "end times", the recent era, the recent law of the land.

2.) "not at all an indication that we're trying to cash out our inventory before next week's dire events"
-> not cash out per se, but perhaps "make room" for something? *coughcough*, and another reference to next week.

3.) "And we just happen to be selling a bunch of Zombie Shirts"
-> Mhm. "Happen to". Mhm. I feel stupid defining zombie on this site, but for argumental reasons, I shall. Zombie = something of past life, of no more, coming back to life. Think about it.

4.) "You might want to go down a size, as your physique will change after the Great Collapse."
->Subtle reference to sizing? Perhaps your physique will appear different, as your size will change with new measurement specs... and great collapse? Great = current dominant force. Yeah you get it.

Alright I'm enjoying this way too much. Without sticking those notorious identical vowels together, you get the point. This, on the heels of an appropriate amount of time after the number crunchers came to their conclusions.

Orrrrr, maybe I'm just paranoid and really bored.

Did our usual suspects read into this at all? (Narf, Trekmiss, Dreamaster, etc...)

Alas, I open the floor to your quasi-individualistic banter.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
smurfage wrote:Did anyone else read a little too deeply into the email sent out on the 19th?

Full context? I didn't get an email.

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:Full context? I didn't get an email.

Forwarded to you.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

Mavyn wrote:Forwarded to you.

I think it's just an event. Like end of bacon was.

move along

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Or it could actually be the death of shirt.woot as we know it.

Shirt and it's printing facility and derby and all that are unique among the other many and still growing woot sites. Sales and participation have dropped drastically and probably won't ever recover. Maybe Amazon is pulling the plug and just merging the existing catalogue (and hopefully employees) into the mother site.

*runs around like the sky is falling*

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

smurfage

bluetuba wrote:Or it could actually be the death of shirt.woot as we know it.

Shirt and it's printing facility and derby and all that are unique among the other many and still growing woot sites. Sales and participation have dropped drastically and probably won't ever recover. Maybe Amazon is pulling the plug and just merging the existing catalogue (and hopefully employees) into the mother site.

Ooooo, you went there. And here I was trying to be optimistic!

j5

bluetuba wrote:Or it could actually be the death of shirt.woot as we know it.

We know that daily sales are in the toilet. We know that derby participation is in the toilet. We don't know what net daily sales look like. :shrug:

move along

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake

I'm not one for the gloom and doom (yet), but there's too much vested already and given the right design, they're still getting strong sellers. OTOH, if this was any indicator, I do think they may be changing suppliers yet again ...

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
Narfcake wrote:I'm not one for the gloom and doom (yet), but there's too much vested already and given the right design, they're still getting strong sellers. OTOH, if this was any indicator, I do think they may be changing suppliers yet again ...

Is it silly to hold out hope for AA? Because I totally am.

j5

thumperchick wrote:Is it silly to hold out hope for AA? Because I totally am.

it is. "You may need to go down a size" means the sizes will run larger, not smaller.
I predict cheaper blanks, not better blanks. Probably thick carded cotton.
Welcome to the apocalypse.

move along

smurfage

j5 wrote:it is. "You may need to go down a size" means the sizes will run larger, not smaller.
I predict cheaper blanks, not better blanks. Probably thick carded cotton.
Welcome to the apocalypse.

"You might want to go down a size"- could mean your body size, not shirt size, putting it politely.

Again, just being the eternal optimist until proven otherwise, but given the recent trial run, why would they have bothered if there weren't future considerations? Maybe logistics wasn't great, and they'd try to meet in the middle of the two blanks.

If it weren't for the trial I'd be more inclined to agree with the cheaper carded garbage.

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake
smurfage wrote:Again, just being the eternal optimist until proven otherwise, but given the recent trial run, why would they have bothered if there weren't future considerations? Maybe logistics wasn't great, and they'd try to meet in the middle of the two blanks.

If it weren't for the trial I'd be more inclined to agree with the cheaper carded garbage.

Good points.

While it's still a guess in regards to logistics, the aspect that Anvil custom makes some of the shirt colors used places a kink in the supply chain - namely in it takes several weeks for reorders. As it is, no shirt manufacturer for these types of shirts, other than AA, has all 16 colors currently being used as regular stock.

I suppose Woot could go the route of what some other shirt sites have done - multiple suppliers. Threadless was the most famous for this, though not so much these days since they've gone Anvil; TheYetee seems to go with what's available (though mostly Tultex), and TeeTurtle and DBH regularly uses Next Level blanks but have used AA here and there too.

Tiamat114

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Tiamat114
thumperchick wrote:Is it silly to hold out hope for AA? Because I totally am.

You aren't alone. I haven't been back to shirt.woot since the changeover, until the woot-off this week out of mild curiosity. I had no plans of buying anything though, just sort of watched. I haven't been around woot period much though anyway, I liked it smaller, not the huge thing it is now.