3%
4%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

xarous

quality posts: 10 Private Messages xarous

What's up with this shirt? I've seen this image for the last few years: http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/darth-vader-you-are-the-father/

Is it his original creation?

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

Maury is really branching out, but shouldn't the Queen be getting all up in his face about it after that?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
xarous wrote:What's up with this shirt? I've seen this image for the last few years: http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/darth-vader-you-are-the-father/

good find xarous.

This is the same guy who submitted the pikachu shirt that got pulled But that last one was supposedly his original creation too. I don't know. We'll see if this one survives.

pulls up a seat

mtaviator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mtaviator

I think this may be the first shirt woot to ever make me literally laugh out loud.

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Having some personal experience with the Maury show, I find this absolutely hilarious.

Edit: To clarify, a sibling was on the show, and it was horrible/painfully embarrassing to watch.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3150 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

This is sooo great, will definitely be buying this for a friend who is a huge Maury/Star Wars fan.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Alex Solis made this a couple of years ago!

This is one of his that had over 10,000 tumblr notes last I checked. So you probably have seen it many places.

Because Alex is awesome and so is his artwork.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/352639/Paternity_Test

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
nathanwpyle wrote:Alex Solis made this a couple of years ago!

This is one of his that had over 10,000 tumblr notes last I checked. So you probably have seen it many places.

keeping this post noticeable.

that was fun while it lasted!

Tom84

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tom84
xarous wrote:What's up with this shirt? I've seen this image for the last few years: http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/darth-vader-you-are-the-father/

Looks like it is, same artist name on the threadless submission from July 2011, and the weknowmemes post is from Oct 2011, which is later.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

I guess someone's notifying Alex by now, and there might be

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
CowboyDann wrote:
pulls up a seat

Ooh, we're sharing popcorn?

Yeah cute shirt, woot... erm... threadless?

xarous

thumperchick wrote:Ooh, we're sharing popcorn?

Yeah cute shirt, woot... erm... threadless?

I love me some popcorn. Pass the imitation butter sauce and salt please.

Narfcake

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake

FWIW, it's not a problem that the art was submitted to other sites before. Quite a few of the designs here at Woot were submissions at other sites too. Woot's qualification is that the design cannot be printed elsewhere before.

So put away the popcorn, folks.

marlinotk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marlinotk

You know what would make this shirt better? Vader shouting out the infamous "Noooooo!"

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
Narfcake wrote:FWIW, it's not a problem that the art was submitted to other sites before. Quite a few of the designs here at Woot were submissions at other sites too. Woot's qualification is that the design cannot be printed elsewhere before.

But... I like popcorn?

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

It's Deja Vu all over again.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 73 Private Messages oakenspirit

I'm seeing less Maury and More TARKIN!!!
;)

whatsamattaU

Narfcake wrote:FWIW, it's not a problem that the art was submitted to other sites before. Quite a few of the designs here at Woot were submissions at other sites too. Woot's qualification is that the design cannot be printed elsewhere before.

You're the resident guru around here, but does this apply then?

http://shirt.woot.com/faq#q24
"If you spot a t-shirt design submission that appears to have been borrowed, copied, shamelessly stolen from some other source, or you believe a design infringes on the intellectual property rights of a third party, you can report it to your friendly derby-meisters by going to the offending design's vote page (by clicking on the design image) and clicking the red "TATTLE ON THIS" button in the upper right corner. When tattling, don't forget to provide specific examples or links to the original work."

Phillystyle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle

That means Maury is A LOT younger than he looks.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

Woot, stop trying to be like Teefury, you're better than that. Alex has tons and tons of other interesting stuff that doesn't involve Pikachu, Darth Vader, or anything else to get you in trouble. You know this, you linked to it yourself. I still want his two designs from the Psychedelic derby. (On AA, pretty please?)

cinoclav

quality posts: 220 Private Messages cinoclav

While I've enjoyed this cartoon for a couple of years now, I find it rather questionable that this is the original artist, just finally getting around to submitting it to woot. There's a similar cartoon by an Alex Pardee - are they one and the same? The styles are definitely different.

Also, how does woot get away with constantly violating copyrights and trademarks?

http://eyesuckink.com/ and http://zerofriends.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78_86&products_id=461

Caravaglia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caravaglia
Phillystyle wrote:That means Maury is A LOT younger than he looks.

Actually, he would be a lot older than he looks since all this happened a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

One could also say, "When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not."

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Oh, ok. I'll just finish it real quick.

Narfcake

itoaseik wrote:Woot, stop trying to be like Teefury, you're better than that. ...

+1. We're here for Woot, not TeeFury/ShirtPunch/RipT/etc.

whatsamattaU wrote:You're the resident guru around here, but does this apply then?

http://shirt.woot.com/faq#q24
"If you spot a t-shirt design submission that appears to have been borrowed, copied, shamelessly stolen from some other source, or you believe a design infringes on the intellectual property rights of a third party, ...

If this is the artist's own work, then no. Being that it's a daily, I hope Woot figured it out themselves, but then again, there was Pik-achoo too ...

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Alex Solis is alexmdc. When he submitted the shirt to Threadless, they probably owned the rights to the design for a designated amount of time. With woot, it is either 60 or 90 days, unless they print the shirt.

It has been close to 2 years since the shirt went on Threadless, and they never printed it. Alex did not violate any rules to resubmit the design here, and woot did not break any copyright.

battra92

quality posts: 4 Private Messages battra92
itoaseik wrote:Woot, stop trying to be like Teefury, you're better than that. Alex has tons and tons of other interesting stuff that doesn't involve Pikachu, Darth Vader, or anything else to get you in trouble. You know this, you linked to it yourself. I still want his two designs from the Psychedelic derby. (On AA, pretty please?)

Yeah, I don't get the whole "every shirt is a pop culture reference" thing that seems to be going on now. I mean, yeah a couple are nice here and there but if I wanted shirts like this I'd take a time machine back to Steve & Barry's.

Narfcake

battra92 wrote:Yeah, I don't get the whole "every shirt is a pop culture reference" thing that seems to be going on now. ...

Easy sales. Pop-culture shirts tend to sell in greater quantities because there's an automatic appeal to the property already.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

I wonder if a guest will wear this on the Maury show?

buddhababy6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buddhababy6
nathanwpyle wrote:Alex Solis made this a couple of years ago!

I love Alex's stuff. My favorite is the "Don't Care Bears" the first time I wore it I just happen to run into Alex at Noodles & Company

spooklarsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spooklarsen

No, no, no! Not, "You are the father," but rather, "You ARE the father!" Does this designer even watch the show?

alexmdc

quality posts: 8 Private Messages alexmdc

Hey dudes I did create this a few years ago and it did get all over the internet for a while got a ton of tumblr likes, and was featured in a few websites.

I was lucky that woot decided to print it, and love seeing the drama and people so quick to jump the gun and call it stolen, but again I created this, so relax and share that popcorn :D

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
alexmdc wrote:Hey dudes I did create this a few years ago and it did get all over the internet for a while got a ton of tumblr likes, and was featured in a few websites.

I was lucky that woot decided to print it, and love seeing the drama and people so quick to jump the gun and call it stolen, but again I created this, so relax and share that popcorn :D

Now you're trying to steal our popcorn?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

xarous

kylemittskus wrote:Now you're trying to steal our popcorn?!

^this wins the internet today

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

alexmdc wrote:Hey dudes I did create this a few years ago and it did get all over the internet for a while got a ton of tumblr likes, and was featured in a few websites.

hey there. thanks for dropping by!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

abrndude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abrndude

Im not understanding why woot is continuing to use memes or artwork when the ownership is questionable. This has been around a while and theres no real way to prove who came up with it, just like the Pikachu peice. I wish they would stick to it being completly original and not able to be ound floating around tumblr, threadless, or some other site where someone can say "ohh yes this is mine". No offense to the submitter but this is the second time a submission has been questioned and its making you look bad. Why not try submitting something new if your really the person behind these ideas.

jmm765psu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmm765psu
abrndude wrote:Im not understanding why woot is continuing to use memes or artwork when the ownership is questionable. This has been around a while and theres no real way to prove who came up with it, just like the Pikachu peice. I wish they would stick to it being completly original and not able to be ound floating around tumblr, threadless, or some other site where someone can say "ohh yes this is mine". No offense to the submitter but this is the second time a submission has been questioned and its making you look bad. Why not try submitting something new if your really the person behind these ideas.

You're* => Argument invalid

Additionally, why in the world should an original artist retire a great piece like this. If it is his, it is his to do with as he likes and who are we to tell him otherwise?

alexmdc

quality posts: 8 Private Messages alexmdc
abrndude wrote:Im not understanding why woot is continuing to use memes or artwork when the ownership is questionable. This has been around a while and theres no real way to prove who came up with it, just like the Pikachu peice. I wish they would stick to it being completly original and not able to be ound floating around tumblr, threadless, or some other site where someone can say "ohh yes this is mine". No offense to the submitter but this is the second time a submission has been questioned and its making you look bad. Why not try submitting something new if your really the person behind these ideas.

I was approached to sell this from woot

check this: http://www.threadless.com/submission/352639/Paternity_Test

check the date, what do you mean there is no way of proving who made this.

check more of my work here.

www.oddworx.com

smh

whatsamattaU

Good to know.

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525
alexmdc wrote:I was approached to sell this from woot

check this: http://www.threadless.com/submission/352639/Paternity_Test

check the date, what do you mean there is no way of proving who made this.

check more of my work here.

www.oddworx.com

smh

Ummmm..."Are You My Mummy" needs to be a shirt. Is that available anywhere??